Honolulu apt's/condo's

  • tjmarkle2005
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 24, 2013
      OK, my Hawaii friends and neighbors: I've received some great emails from new Blanding friends in Honolulu and my wife and I need to come over for a month and do some serious research. I can't afford the prices on VBRO and other sites that I've seen so far. Where do you stay if you want to be there for a month, cook your own food and sleep in a comfortable bed at night? I'm open to suggestions....tj
    • Bev. Leinbach
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 24, 2013
        WE looked up B&B's on line when we stayed on Oahu.

        The further away from Honolulu, the cheaper the price. One time we stayed
        in the city next to Kaneohe by the beach.

        Good luck,

        BEV.

        OK, my Hawaii friends and neighbors: I've received some great emails from
        new Blanding friends in Honolulu and my wife and I need to come over for a
        month and do some serious research. I can't afford the prices on VBRO and
        other sites that I've seen so far. Where do you stay if you want to be there
        for a month, cook your own food and sleep in a comfortable bed at night? I'm
        open to suggestions....tj Honolulu, the cheaper

      • Cadia
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
          TJ . . .

          If you need quick access to downtown Honolulu and Waikiki, you don't want to stay too far away. Rental cars, gas and parking cost a fortune!

          I always stay in Waikiki and within steps of public transit. Seniors pay only $1 per trip with a Medicare card. I bought a senior card ($10) on my first trip in 2010 (it expires in 2014), then a monthly $5 sticker for unlimited rides. (My stays varied from 12 to 18 days and I got at least $30 worth of bus rides each year.) Oh, and I book airport transfers with Roberts; great service, a rep meets you at the gate and the rates are less than with a hotel package deal.

          In 2010 and 2011, I stayed at Hokele Suites (a Castle Group property) on Lewers Street, about 2 blocks from where DB lived in 1954-55. Not a fancy place, but the staff is very friendly and helpful. I paid about $80/night for a studio suite with full kitchen and dishes. The next year, I upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite at about $107. This was during August and I booked through Expedia, which also got me a reduced airline rate with senior discount. Rates before June might be less; I don't know if Hokele Suites offers a monthly rate.

          You can stock up on food at Foodland, Safeway and Times Supermarket; all are within a 10 minute bus ride (between Waikiki and Honolulu). There's also a Food Pantry a couple of blocks from the hotel, but prices are higher than at supermarkets. For Japanese food (and a lot of other goods), the Don Quijote store is a must! (Be prepared for food to cost much more than in California, wherever you shop!) I also bought snacks and an occasional salad at the ABC Stores and Whaler's General Store.

          I also enjoyed shopping in Chinatown and at various farmers markets.

          Actually, since I was out virtually every night to hear live music (and eat!), I did not do much cooking. So I kept a supply of cereal, pastries, juice, fruit and yogurt on hand for breakfast and snacks. I usually bring 2 boxes of my favorite granola bars with me; this year I'll try to remember to bring my own coffee and filters, too.

          If you search on Expedia, you'll sometimes find condos listed for short-term rental (1 month minimum) but generally with a hefty security deposit. I doubt apartments would be available for less than 6 months.

          By the way, bring your own cell phone; many lower-priced hotels charge for local calls. There's also a fee for internet access in rooms. Condos might or might not include phone or wi-fi.

          ~~Cadia
        • Allen Dayton
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
            Tom!

            Don't go in high seasons of summer and winter. Shoulder seasons are best as hotels and condos are least occupied and they give best price breaks then. April or May in the Spring is OK. Late October, November (Thanksgiving may cause price rise) and first two weeks of December are OK. Try the internet and see what you can find -- Orbitz, Price Grabber, etc. Also look in back of Hawaii Magazine for condo deals. Also you may find a good package deal of airfare, car and condo.

            If you have a car, Costco has best food prices if you can consume what you buy -- roasted chicken was still only $5 which is what we pay on mainland.

            Take your AARP and AAA cards if you have them. Also, if retired military or DoD civil service, you can use PX and other facilities.

            Allen
          • mauibandb@...
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
              All below very good advice for TJ and Janice! Not sure if Star Advertiser
              online has rental ads. There is also a vacation rental listing in there.

              aloha
              Maui Tom