[aloha-donblanding] Reources

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2000
      I've started a "Resources" file in the database. For now, any member
      can add, edit and delete entries. I've set up the format, geared
      toward contacts who have or may have information on Don Blanding. If
      you have information, and I know some of it has filtered through these
      messages, would you please add it to this database?

      ~~Cadia
    • Sunny L Worel
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2000
        Hello,

        I went over to the other library yesterday and picked up the ASIA articles
        and the article by Desoto Brown in Journal of Decorative and Propaganda
        Arts.

        I scanned them today in PDF. You will need Adobe Acrobat to view them.

        I did not put up the article by Desoto Brown. It was too large and would
        have taken any of you forever to read it, so I must reevaluate that, and
        make the file smaller somehow! The article is not so important, but its
        interesting.

        The Asia Articles are temporarily available at:

        http://www.tc.umn.edu/~sunny/sealoot.pdf
        http://www.tc.umn.edu/~sunny/pigpoi.pdf

        I think they are a reasonable size. But, I haven't tried them via a modem.

        Cadia, can you load these types of files into the vault? It's probably
        against copyright, but these articles are 75 years old. I doubt if there
        would be trouble.

        Sunny Worel sunny@...
        Bio-Medical Library http://umn.edu/home/sunny
        University of Minnesota (612) 626-4583
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2000
          Sunny,

          I tried to access the first article (Sea Loot...) but all I got was
          technical gibberish, not the actual content. (The size was about 800
          KB, which is huge!)
          The file automatically opened in Microsoft Works, my word processor. I
          don't know if I have Adobe Acrobat or not. How do I find out?

          For the vault, what we need are images (JPGs) or text, not PDF. I'm
          not sure, however, that text on a printed page will scan too well as an
          image, even at high resolution. Anything smaller than about 16 pt type
          is not too readable.

          This week, I am going to fax a page or two (hard copy) to myself and
          see what happens. If the quality is OK, I can then upload to the vault.

          Anyone with more technical know-how who can provide some answers?

          ~~Cadia
        • Clare Telford
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2000
            Greetings,
            I am enjoying all the information on Don Blanding
            and wanted to let you know that I have a black and
            white photo postcard of him in 1937 as he left the
            "Clipper"seaplane and walked up the landing ramp in
            Hawaii. Bedecked with so many leis that I doubt he
            could look down and see his shoes! The postal date is
            1937 and there is a typed address and handwritten
            message in what appears to be ink. Whether this is
            original or printed on the card, I am not prepared to
            say for sure. I would like to think that Don actually
            wrote this out for a friend on the mainland.
            Do you have any interest in this or is it
            duplicating something you already have in your files?
            I could fax a copy to you if you will repeat your fax
            number for me.
            Keep the fire burning....it sounds like this group
            is going places! Great job everyone.
            Clare

            http://click.egroups.com/1/1652/2/_/286501/_/951699046/

            > --

            http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=aloha-donblanding&m=1

            http://im.yahoo.com
          • Sunny L Worel
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28, 2000
              Hi,

              I am sorry nobody can access the files I scanned. I scanned them using
              Adobe Acrobat 4.0. I didnt try accessing them from home, but I was able
              to at work. I will check the file permissions.

              Adobe Acrobat reader is available free on the web. Its the only program
              that will access the files. Adobe is used regularly since it gives forms
              structure needed for printing etc. It is way better than JPG.

              You can get it at: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html

              Sunny