RE: [aloha-donblanding] Aunty Pinau article

    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 24, 2013
      Aloha Maui Tom,

      Where (area of resort) & what time?

      Bev.

      _____

      From: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of mauibandb@...
      Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:54 PM
      To: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [aloha-donblanding] Aunty Pinau article

      Bev
      We offer girls day brunch on Maui at Kaanapali Beach Hotel. you might
      find it fun.

      maui Tom

      In a message dated 2/22/2013 11:28:51 P.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
      bevbach@... <mailto:bevbach%40pacbell.net> writes:

      Will be on Maui and look for it.

      Mahalo,

      Bev.

      _____

      From: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 5, 2013
        Did you mean *Eddie Kamae *? He's about 85 now.

        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 5, 2013
          I've googled Eddie Kamae and have his info. I've sent off an email to him
          regarding Aunty Pinau and my article from today. If I get something new, I'll
          report back to everyone. If someone in Hawaii knows him, please contact him for
          me. tj

          ________________________________
          Did you mean *Eddie Kamae *? He's about 85 now.

          On 3/5/13 11:17 AM, John Korte wrote:

          > Hi TJ,
          > It just occurred to me, after reading your great article on Auntie Pinau,
          > that I might have a lead into information about her. I lived in Hawaii for
          > 12 years (1964-76). Shortly after I arrived, I lived down in the
          > "Jungle" of
          > Waikiki. My next door neighbors (who became friends) were two
          > Hawaiians who
          > were beginning to build famous careers. One was Raymond Kane a great Slack
          > Key guitarist. His roommate was Eddie Kamai who went on to become
          > known for
          > his study, investigation, and reproduction of Ancient Hawaiian Chants. I
          > have been on this blog for a few years now and have read all your posts
          > about Aunty Pinau and Don Blanding but never (until today) did I realize
          > that she sang "old Hawaiian chants". I believe if anybody knows anything
          > about Auntie Pinau, Eddie Kamai might be our man (google him to see if you
          > find anything interesting). Let me know what you think.
          > Again, great article and I hope it brings a flood of calls.
          > Best regards,
          > John Korte
          >
          > John Korte
          > SKYPE NAME: johnkorte
          > SKYPE phone: 210-807-4222
          > Guatemala cel: 011-502-5754-9893
          > Panama cel: 011-507-6361-9148
          >
          > From: THOMAS MARKLE tjmarkle@...

          > Date: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:50 PM
          > To: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
          > >
          > Subject: Re: [aloha-donblanding] Aunty Pinau article

          > and
          > read/copy it. tj
          >
          > ________________________________

        • Allen Dayton
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 5, 2013
            Tom! I bought the print version of the Star-Advertiser today. There is a problem. The continuation of the article is missing. All of the article is missing right after the sentence "Blanding's summation of Aunty Pinau in "Hula Moons" is as follows:".

            The next line says "Please see Aunty, D3".

            There is nothing on D3 or the rest of the Newspaper about your article.

            Allen Dayton
            Sent from my iPad

            On Mar 5, 2013, at 8:50 AM, THOMAS MARKLE <tjmarkle@...> wrote:

            > read/copy it. tj
            >
            > ________________________________

          • John Korte
            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 5, 2013
              Yes, it is Kamae and I guess I knew he was older but 85? Wow, time flies. I
              was 17 when I ran away from home to Hawaii (and never returned). I'm now 66
              and still not settled down. Loved my 12 years there. Thanks for the spelling
              correction. My roommate and I used to be awakened at 2 AM to the sounds of
              Eddie and Ray jamming (oh the melodies they would crank out) after they
              returned home from whatever gig they had. Trust me, it was not a bad way to
              have somebody wake you up in the middle of the night.
              John

              From: Jackie Collins <jackiecollins@...>
              Date: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:40 PM
              To: <aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com>

              Did you mean *Eddie Kamae *? He's about 85 now.

              On 3/5/13 11:17 AM, John Korte wrote:

              > Hi TJ,
              > It just occurred to me, after reading your great article on Auntie Pinau,
              > that I might have a lead into information about her. I lived in Hawaii for
              > 12 years (1964-76). Shortly after I arrived, I lived down in the
              > "Jungle" of
              > Waikiki. My next door neighbors (who became friends) were two
              > Hawaiians who
              > were beginning to build famous careers. One was Raymond Kane a great Slack
              > Key guitarist. His roommate was Eddie Kamai who went on to become
              > known for
              > his study, investigation, and reproduction of Ancient Hawaiian Chants. I
              > have been on this blog for a few years now and have read all your posts
              > about Aunty Pinau and Don Blanding but never (until today) did I realize
              > that she sang "old Hawaiian chants". I believe if anybody knows anything
              > about Auntie Pinau, Eddie Kamai might be our man (google him to see if you
              > find anything interesting). Let me know what you think.
              > Again, great article and I hope it brings a flood of calls.
              > Best regards,
              > John Korte
              >
              > John Korte
              > SKYPE NAME: johnkorte
              > SKYPE phone: 210-807-4222
              > Guatemala cel: 011-502-5754-9893
              > Panama cel: 011-507-6361-9148
              >
              > From: THOMAS MARKLE tjmarkle@... <mailto:tjmarkle%40sbcglobal.net>

              <mailto:aloha-donblanding%40yahoogroups.com>

              > Date: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:50 PM
              > To: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:aloha-donblanding%40yahoogroups.com>

              > Subject: Re: [aloha-donblanding] Aunty Pinau article

              > and
              > read/copy it. tj
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Jackie Collins
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 5, 2013
                TJ: My husband knows Eddie Kamae and his
                wife, Myrna.

                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 6, 2013
                  That's great. If he doesn't directly know anything, pump him for leads or send
                  him my way. I don't want things to drop by the wayside. Thanks..tj

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 6, 2013
                    Ok. Will ask him to get in touch with Eddie and
                    I will send you direct contact info.

                    On 3/6/13 5:52 AM, THOMAS MARKLE wrote:

                    > That's great. If he doesn't directly know anything, pump him for leads
                    > or send
                    > him my way. I don't want things to drop by the wayside. Thanks..tj
                    >
                    > ________________________________
                    > From: Jackie Collins jackiecollins@...

                  • Cadia
                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 7, 2013
                      TJ, great job on the Star-Advertiser article! Curious, though, why there's no mention of the Hitchcock painting of Aunty Pinau. That is the single most important link to Aunty Pinau, not only what she looked like but as part of Hitchcock's body of work sure to catch the interest of art galleries and collectors.

                      I was not able to view the super-sized image file you e-mailed to me, so it was nice to see the photo of DB. Did you also provide the secondary photo of DB draped with lei or was that from the newspaper's morgue?

                      A correction: DB arrived in Honolulu on December 22, 1916, not December 24 ("three days before Christmas" and aboard the Great Northern which reached port that day). I'm also a little mystified that DB spent his first few weeks in Honolulu with an Hawaiian family. He described his first Christmas in the Islands on several occasions -- alone and homesick. I also question his spending "several months" in early 1917 on Maui. I can document DB as being in Honolulu at that time, starting work at the Advertiser as a cartoonist.

                      Nice going on the Chin Chong reference, too. I can provide you with some information on the candlemaker; you do know that Chin Chong is not his real name, right?

                      I photographed three locations of his shops (listed as "general store")on my visits to Honolulu. The earliest one was across Beretania St. from Aala Park and where DB met him. The second was on Nu'uanu St. makai of Beretania St. and across from the old Liberty Theatre. The third was on the grounds of a Buddhist temple on Beretania, a location that no doubt made for a lot of candle sales! The three shops cover a span from before 1916 to at least 1954.

                      Oh, and by the way, Facebook members can access the Honolulu Star-Advertiser online free of charge. Just "like" their page and you gain access to all the subscriber-only content. Only subscribers can post comments, however.

                      Please keep us posted!

                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 7, 2013
                        I had the Hitchcock painting as a center piece but the editor decided to do it
                        differently. I sent her the photo of DB and the woman I suspect is Aunty Pinau
                        and she decided to use that instead. Some of the wording was the editors
                        choice. I can't control everything and was quite grateful to get center stage
                        on the Features page. DB describes his time on Maui with Aunty Pinau and I made
                        assumptions as to a time line. He arrived in Dec. 1916, stayed with the
                        Hawaiian family, and then described his hosts as taking him over to Maui after a
                        short time in Honolulu to meet a relative that turned out to be Aunty Pinau.
                        This was described in Hula Moons by Blanding quite vividly. I don't think DB
                        was a cartoonist for the Advertiser in early 1917. That would be way too soon
                        for him to be that connected. I could be wrong. My new Honolulu contact is
                        family to Fong Inn and she knows that DB and her Grandfather were friends. She
                        is working with me to identify Chin Chong and determine if that is his true name
                        or one adopted by he or Blanding. She is also helping me interpret the Chinese
                        writing on the tops of the Chinese poems DB wrote for Leaves from a Grass House
                        in 1923. My contact is writing a book herself about the Chinese culture in
                        Honolulu and is very well connected. If my article does not stir up the dust of
                        Aunty Pinau, it might stir the dust of Chin Chong the candle maker. As
                        researchers, we make assumptions about things and then set out or prove or
                        disprove our ideas based on facts. In some cases, we can't verify information
                        and are left to our wits to make assumptions about how we think it is or was.
                        Not all of us will agree on each and every idea or assumption without factual
                        data. I also believe that DB might have forgotten a few things as to the actual
                        timeline and reported them honestly but erroneously. Thanks for the
                        compliments on the article and I hope to do a few more for the Star-Advertiser.
                        I have ideas in the hopper. tj

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 7, 2013
                          _kamaem002@..._ (mailto:kamaem002@...) 808-753-3314
                          cell 808-951-7316 Eddie and Myrna's Contact information Might be old.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 8, 2013
                            Hi, TJ . . .

                            Blanding most certainly was living in Honolulu and working for the Honolulu Advertiser in March 1917. The announcement of his joining the staff of what was then called the Pacific Commercial Advertiser appears in the March 13, 1917 edition. More than 40 editorial and other cartoons were published between March 17 and mid-May. Please see my message #4334 of February 23, 2008.

                            In reading the January and February 1917 editions of the Advertiser, I did not find any reference to DB, but that is to be expected considering his recent arrival (December 22, 1916) in Honolulu. It is possible he visited Maui during that time. However, it also helps to remember that Hula Moons is fiction.

                            Re: Chin Chong the Candlemaker

                            Please see my message #4152 of March 8, 2007 (exactly 6 years ago!) and the reference to a 1952 article in the Oregon Journal about DB when he was in Bend, Oregon. The article mentions the influence of Chin Chong on his art.

                            This morning I retrieved my notes on Chin Chong; just now I can't locate the advertising brochure but it probably dates from the early 1950s when the candlemaker's shop was on the temple grounds on North Vineyard Blvd., not Beretania. The three locations are as follows:

                            362 North Beretania St.
                            Chin Chong (Leong See)
                            1917-1918 city directory - general store

                            362 North Beretania St.
                            Chin Chong (Lum Kiang Hoy)
                            1921 city directory - general store

                            362 North Beretania St.
                            near King St. (on left side toward town)
                            Chin Chong Candle Shop
                            1923 - Honolulu Star-Bulletin

                            The above location is mauka across Beretania St. from the ewa end of Aala Park, which DB mentions often in his writing. Today the address is part of a low-income housing project.

                            1182 Nu'uanu St.
                            Chin Chong Candle Shop - opposite Liberty Theatre (1175 Nu'uanu)
                            Nov. 26, 1927 - Honolulu Star-Bulletin

                            Nu'uanu St. is the dividing line between north and south street designations and marked the edge of Chinatown. No. 1182 no longer exists -- the whole block between Pauahi and Beretania is now No. 1170 (apartment complex and shops) except for the church at No. 1190 on the corner of Beretania. The actual site is most likely the small post office station, which is closest to the church. It is about a block from the Hawaii Theatre on Bethel St. where DB produced Dream Girls.

                            170 North Vineyard Blvd.
                            Chin Chong Candle Shop
                            Per leaflet, no date but maybe 1950s
                            On site of Kuan Jin Temple next to Foster Botanical Gardens, near Aala St.

                            170 North Vineyard Blvd.
                            Chin Chong Candle Manufacturers (Mrs. Choy Moy Ching Lum*)
                            * r 43a Kahela Ln.
                            1954 Honolulu Polk's directory

                            The temple is a very beautiful building that dates from the late 1800's. The grounds, on which the candle shop was located, are adjacent to the botanical gardens.

                            From these city directory citations, I believe the candlemaker's real name is Lum Kiang Hoy. (Will have to locate the brochure to confirm.) Some years ago I was contacted by a descendant of Chin Chong who wanted a copy of DB's poem to read at a family funeral. Finding it among thousands of saved e-mails may take some time, but I'll try.

                            As far as I know, the first publication of the poem was in 1925 in the Star-Bulletin.

                            Hope this timeline helps, and perhaps the names will be familiar to the Chinese lady who has contacted you. I have photos of the 3 candle shop locations as they existed in August 2011 and will see about getting prints for you. I also need to schedule some library time to dig further through the Honolulu city directories. On my trips to Honolulu I concentrated on the 1920s and a bit on 1953 and 1954; now I need to fill in the gaps. Fortunately, the Seattle library has the directories either on microfilm or on the shelf.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Mar 8, 2013
                              Cadia: Thanks for the correction and updates. Though Hula Moons might be an
                              imaginary spin, I didn't see it as total fiction. I saw it as based on his
                              experiences as he saw them. I guess I would be totally surprised if he didn't
                              spend some time on Maui with Aunty Pinau. His descriptions are much too vivid
                              to be pure imagination. It could be he was there in January and February of
                              1917, just prior to going to work for the Advertiser. That would fit the time
                              line we're talking about.

                              Separate from this: Its good to stimulate some conversation on our site again.
                              We've been dead in the water too long. There's much to discover and talk
                              about. tj

                              ________________________________
[...]

                              From these city directory citations, I believe the candlemaker's real name is
                              Lum Kiang Hoy. (Will have to locate the brochure to confirm.) Some years ago I
                              was contacted by a descendant of Chin Chong who wanted a copy of DB's poem to
                              read at a family funeral. Finding it among thousands of saved e-mails may take
                              some time, but I'll try.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Mar 9, 2013
                                TJ, you'll be pleased to know that Hawaii Book Blog picked up the Star-Advertiser's story and tweeted a link to their many followers, mentioning my ID in the message. I RT'd to my 400+ followers, many of whom are also in Hawaii.

                                I also posted the story to my Facebook page.

                                So let's hope the extended "broadcast" gets some additional response.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Mar 9, 2013
                                  I've emailed with several people who said they would put the article and my
                                  email onto their blogs. Thats good news. I have an email today with a lead on
                                  Aunty Pinau. She thinks Aunty Pinau's real name might be: Margeuite Keao
                                  Hobron Kalaoklani (1885-1933) but the 1885 birth date doesn't match up to our
                                  age factors unless we're totally wrong. tj

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Mar 10, 2013
                                    I think you might be right to look for other than Aunty Pinau. It can be
                                    a nick name with naughty connotation, so it might have been a name given by
                                    herself and not necessarily an alias.

                                    aloha
                                    Maui Tom

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Mar 16, 2013
                                      It appears that the dust of Aunty Pinau prefers to remain unseen. The article brought a few new leads for Don Blanding himself but nothing at all for Aunty Pinau. I'm not sure what to do now. I'm not sure that the article itself appeared on each Island. Does anyone in Hawaii know that? I had a phone call from a person from Kona who said he only heard of the article from a friend. Any suggestions? tj
                                    • Allen Dayton
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Mar 16, 2013
                                        Tom! The Star-Advertiser is sold on the four big islands. I don't know about the other islands but on Maui, the Star-Advertiser would compete with the Maui newspaper and I suspect that more Maui natives read it instead of the Honolulu newspaper as it carries more local news. The Maui newspaper was distributed free to each room in our condo hotel, the Kaanapali Shores.

                                        Two other suggestions: check with one of the local Maui radio stations and see if they have an appropriate call-in broadcast and if they do, call in.

                                        Distribute fliers around the small villages in Maui and offer a small reward for information.

                                        Good Luck!

                                        Allen Dayton
                                        Sent from my iPad

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Mar 16, 2013
                                          I'm not sure what is kosher in the newspaper business. My thought was to try to
                                          have my article published in other newspapers but I suspect the Star-Advertiser
                                          might object. I'm not sure how other newspapers might pick up the story and run
                                          it. I'll check it out. Rewards? No, I'm a retired poor man. ha....tj