[aloha-donblanding] Re: New stuff

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 27, 2000
      TJ,

      You're on the right track. Why not draft an overview article on
      Blanding, aimed at readers of your local/regional newspaper? You
      would, of course, include mention of our group, my website (and other
      relevant ones), and the interest in Hawaiiana/Blanding demonstrated
      among collectors (eBay, etc.).
      Having an online "peg" for the story certainly helps!

      Most newspapers accept such pieces (and pay for them!), especially if
      there's a local tie-in (you as researcher and collector if nothing
      else).

      I'm thinking of nominating my website for the Seattle Times Personal
      Technology section's "Website of the Week." Does any other newspaper
      have such a feature?

      Just gathering the "why I collect Don Blanding" comments made here and
      in my website's Guestbook would make an article all by itself.

      Surely, Lei Day in Hawaii (May 1) still generates interest in Blanding?
      Perhaps an article or two in the Hawaii papers (or in the travel
      sections of other papers) would be appropriate?

      Making use of the basic information we have -- and we really have far
      more than one article can support -- we should target other potential
      collectors as well as those who may be able to provide additional
      research information.

      The following newspaper sections seem like the best bets: arts and
      entertainment, travel, technology and local news.

      How about participating in a local TV/radio talk show or interview?
      Creating an exhibit at a local library, bank, collectibles show?

      I'm preparing a flyer to hand out at the Palmer/Wirfs Antiques &
      Collectibles Expo in Portland next weekend. Upwards of 20,000 people
      attend that show!

      Promotion, promotion, promotion....