Aunty Pinau article

  • tjmarkle2005
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 22, 2013
      Aloha:

      The editor I'm working for at the Star-Advertiser emailed me this morning. She projects the Aunty Pinau article to run Sunday, March 3rd. To my Hawaii friends, save me a copy! Hopefully this article will help us uncover this mysterious Hawaiian woman.

      Mahalo....tj
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 22, 2013
        Will be on Maui and look for it.

        Mahalo,

        Bev.

        _____

        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 22, 2013
          TJ ~

          You (and anyone else) can read it online
          anytime. You can also download articles and
          save a pdf version of any article.
          http://www.staradvertiser.com

          Aloha, Jackie

        • mauibandb@...
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 23, 2013
            Bev
            We offer girls day brunch on Maui at Kaanapali Beach Hotel. you might
            find it fun.

            maui Tom

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 24, 2013
              Aloha Maui Tom,

              Where (area of resort) & what time?

              Bev.

              _____

              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 5 8:07 AM
                The article is in the Advertiser today. It should be under the Features section. I'm not sure why it was a couple of days late but it is there. Hopefully it will lead us to more information on Aunty Pinau. tj
              • mauibandb@...
                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 5 9:44 AM
                  congratulations on your success.

                  In a message dated 3/5/2013 6:07:27 A.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
                  tjmarkle@... writes:

                  The article is in the Advertiser today. It should be under the Features
                  section. I'm not sure why it was a couple of days late but it is there.
                  Hopefully it will lead us to more information on Aunty Pinau. tj

                • John Korte
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 5 9:58 AM
                    Does anybody out there have the link to the article in the Advertiser?

                    John Korte
                    SKYPE NAME: johnkorte
                    SKYPE phone: 210-807-4222
                    Guatemala cel: 011-502-5754-9893
                    Panama cel: 011-507-6361-9148

                    From: tjmarkle2005 <tjmarkle@...>
                    Date: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 10:07 AM
                    To: <aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 5 10:15 AM
                      Just google, Honolulu Star-Advertiser and search for the Features section. It
                      is there. tj

                      ________________________________

                      From: tjmarkle2005 tjmarkle@...>
                      Date: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 10:07 AM
                      To: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com>

                      The article is in the Advertiser today. It should be under the Features
                      section. I'm not sure why it was a couple of days late but it is there.
                      Hopefully it will lead us to more information on Aunty Pinau. tj

                    • Curt Blanding
                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 5 10:38 AM
                        Here is a link to the article.

                        http://www.staradvertiser.com/featurespremium/20130305_Aunty_Aloha.html

                        because it is in "features premium" you might have to subscribe to the
                        online edition to see it.

                        Curt

                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 5 10:50 AM
                          read/copy it. tj

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 5 1:17 PM
                            Hi TJ,
                            It just occurred to me, after reading your great article on Auntie Pinau,
                            that I might have a lead into information about her. I lived in Hawaii for
                            12 years (1964-76). Shortly after I arrived, I lived down in the "Jungle" of
                            Waikiki. My next door neighbors (who became friends) were two Hawaiians who
                            were beginning to build famous careers. One was Raymond Kane a great Slack
                            Key guitarist. His roommate was Eddie Kamai who went on to become known for
                            his study, investigation, and reproduction of Ancient Hawaiian Chants. I
                            have been on this blog for a few years now and have read all your posts
                            about Aunty Pinau and Don Blanding but never (until today) did I realize
                            that she sang "old Hawaiian chants". I believe if anybody knows anything
                            about Auntie Pinau, Eddie Kamai might be our man (google him to see if you
                            find anything interesting). Let me know what you think.
                            Again, great article and I hope it brings a flood of calls.
                            Best regards,

                            From: THOMAS MARKLE <tjmarkle@...>
                            Date: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:50 PM
                            To: <aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com>

                            and
                            read/copy it. tj

                            ________________________________

                            From: tjmarkle2005 tjmarkle@... <mailto:tjmarkle%40sbcglobal.net>

                            <mailto:aloha-donblanding%40yahoogroups.com>

                            Message 13 of 30 , Mar 5 1:40 PM
                              Did you mean *Eddie Kamae *? He's about 85 now.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Mar 5 4:51 PM
                                I've googled Eddie Kamae and have his info. I've sent off an email to him
                                regarding Aunty Pinau and my article from today. If I get something new, I'll
                                report back to everyone. If someone in Hawaii knows him, please contact him for
                                me. tj

                                ________________________________
                                Did you mean *Eddie Kamae *? He's about 85 now.

                                On 3/5/13 11:17 AM, John Korte wrote:

                                > Hi TJ,
                                > It just occurred to me, after reading your great article on Auntie Pinau,
                                > that I might have a lead into information about her. I lived in Hawaii for
                                > 12 years (1964-76). Shortly after I arrived, I lived down in the
                                > "Jungle" of
                                > Waikiki. My next door neighbors (who became friends) were two
                                > Hawaiians who
                                > were beginning to build famous careers. One was Raymond Kane a great Slack
                                > Key guitarist. His roommate was Eddie Kamai who went on to become
                                > known for
                                > his study, investigation, and reproduction of Ancient Hawaiian Chants. I
                                > have been on this blog for a few years now and have read all your posts
                                > about Aunty Pinau and Don Blanding but never (until today) did I realize
                                > that she sang "old Hawaiian chants". I believe if anybody knows anything
                                > about Auntie Pinau, Eddie Kamai might be our man (google him to see if you
                                > find anything interesting). Let me know what you think.
                                > Again, great article and I hope it brings a flood of calls.
                                > Best regards,
                                > John Korte
                                >
                                > John Korte
                                > SKYPE NAME: johnkorte
                                > SKYPE phone: 210-807-4222
                                > Guatemala cel: 011-502-5754-9893
                                > Panama cel: 011-507-6361-9148
                                >
                                > From: THOMAS MARKLE tjmarkle@...

                                > Date: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:50 PM
                                > To: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
                                > >
                                > Subject: Re: [aloha-donblanding] Aunty Pinau article

                                > and
                                > read/copy it. tj
                                >
                                > ________________________________

                              • Allen Dayton
                                Message 15 of 30 , Mar 5 5:00 PM
                                  Tom! I bought the print version of the Star-Advertiser today. There is a problem. The continuation of the article is missing. All of the article is missing right after the sentence "Blanding's summation of Aunty Pinau in "Hula Moons" is as follows:".

                                  The next line says "Please see Aunty, D3".

                                  There is nothing on D3 or the rest of the Newspaper about your article.

                                  Allen Dayton
                                  Sent from my iPad

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Mar 5 5:34 PM
                                    Yes, it is Kamae and I guess I knew he was older but 85? Wow, time flies. I
                                    was 17 when I ran away from home to Hawaii (and never returned). I'm now 66
                                    and still not settled down. Loved my 12 years there. Thanks for the spelling
                                    correction. My roommate and I used to be awakened at 2 AM to the sounds of
                                    Eddie and Ray jamming (oh the melodies they would crank out) after they
                                    returned home from whatever gig they had. Trust me, it was not a bad way to
                                    have somebody wake you up in the middle of the night.
                                    John

                                    From: Jackie Collins <jackiecollins@...>
                                    Date: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:40 PM
                                    To: <aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com>

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Mar 5 7:15 PM
                                      TJ: My husband knows Eddie Kamae and his
                                      wife, Myrna.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Mar 6 7:52 AM
                                        That's great. If he doesn't directly know anything, pump him for leads or send
                                        him my way. I don't want things to drop by the wayside. Thanks..tj

                                        ________________________________

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Mar 6 8:21 AM
                                          Ok. Will ask him to get in touch with Eddie and
                                          I will send you direct contact info.

                                          On 3/6/13 5:52 AM, THOMAS MARKLE wrote:

                                          > That's great. If he doesn't directly know anything, pump him for leads
                                          > or send
                                          > him my way. I don't want things to drop by the wayside. Thanks..tj
                                          >
                                          > ________________________________
                                          > From: Jackie Collins jackiecollins@...

                                        • Cadia
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Mar 7 1:25 PM
                                            TJ, great job on the Star-Advertiser article! Curious, though, why there's no mention of the Hitchcock painting of Aunty Pinau. That is the single most important link to Aunty Pinau, not only what she looked like but as part of Hitchcock's body of work sure to catch the interest of art galleries and collectors.

                                            I was not able to view the super-sized image file you e-mailed to me, so it was nice to see the photo of DB. Did you also provide the secondary photo of DB draped with lei or was that from the newspaper's morgue?

                                            A correction: DB arrived in Honolulu on December 22, 1916, not December 24 ("three days before Christmas" and aboard the Great Northern which reached port that day). I'm also a little mystified that DB spent his first few weeks in Honolulu with an Hawaiian family. He described his first Christmas in the Islands on several occasions -- alone and homesick. I also question his spending "several months" in early 1917 on Maui. I can document DB as being in Honolulu at that time, starting work at the Advertiser as a cartoonist.

                                            Nice going on the Chin Chong reference, too. I can provide you with some information on the candlemaker; you do know that Chin Chong is not his real name, right?

                                            I photographed three locations of his shops (listed as "general store")on my visits to Honolulu. The earliest one was across Beretania St. from Aala Park and where DB met him. The second was on Nu'uanu St. makai of Beretania St. and across from the old Liberty Theatre. The third was on the grounds of a Buddhist temple on Beretania, a location that no doubt made for a lot of candle sales! The three shops cover a span from before 1916 to at least 1954.

                                            Oh, and by the way, Facebook members can access the Honolulu Star-Advertiser online free of charge. Just "like" their page and you gain access to all the subscriber-only content. Only subscribers can post comments, however.

                                            Please keep us posted!

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Mar 7 4:20 PM
                                              I had the Hitchcock painting as a center piece but the editor decided to do it
                                              differently. I sent her the photo of DB and the woman I suspect is Aunty Pinau
                                              and she decided to use that instead. Some of the wording was the editors
                                              choice. I can't control everything and was quite grateful to get center stage
                                              on the Features page. DB describes his time on Maui with Aunty Pinau and I made
                                              assumptions as to a time line. He arrived in Dec. 1916, stayed with the
                                              Hawaiian family, and then described his hosts as taking him over to Maui after a
                                              short time in Honolulu to meet a relative that turned out to be Aunty Pinau.
                                              This was described in Hula Moons by Blanding quite vividly. I don't think DB
                                              was a cartoonist for the Advertiser in early 1917. That would be way too soon
                                              for him to be that connected. I could be wrong. My new Honolulu contact is
                                              family to Fong Inn and she knows that DB and her Grandfather were friends. She
                                              is working with me to identify Chin Chong and determine if that is his true name
                                              or one adopted by he or Blanding. She is also helping me interpret the Chinese
                                              writing on the tops of the Chinese poems DB wrote for Leaves from a Grass House
                                              in 1923. My contact is writing a book herself about the Chinese culture in
                                              Honolulu and is very well connected. If my article does not stir up the dust of
                                              Aunty Pinau, it might stir the dust of Chin Chong the candle maker. As
                                              researchers, we make assumptions about things and then set out or prove or
                                              disprove our ideas based on facts. In some cases, we can't verify information
                                              and are left to our wits to make assumptions about how we think it is or was.
                                              Not all of us will agree on each and every idea or assumption without factual
                                              data. I also believe that DB might have forgotten a few things as to the actual
                                              timeline and reported them honestly but erroneously. Thanks for the
                                              compliments on the article and I hope to do a few more for the Star-Advertiser.
                                              I have ideas in the hopper. tj

                                              ________________________________

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Mar 7 10:23 PM
                                                _kamaem002@..._ (mailto:kamaem002@...) 808-753-3314
                                                cell 808-951-7316 Eddie and Myrna's Contact information Might be old.

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Mar 8 2:00 PM
                                                  Hi, TJ . . .

                                                  Blanding most certainly was living in Honolulu and working for the Honolulu Advertiser in March 1917. The announcement of his joining the staff of what was then called the Pacific Commercial Advertiser appears in the March 13, 1917 edition. More than 40 editorial and other cartoons were published between March 17 and mid-May. Please see my message #4334 of February 23, 2008.

                                                  In reading the January and February 1917 editions of the Advertiser, I did not find any reference to DB, but that is to be expected considering his recent arrival (December 22, 1916) in Honolulu. It is possible he visited Maui during that time. However, it also helps to remember that Hula Moons is fiction.

                                                  Re: Chin Chong the Candlemaker

                                                  Please see my message #4152 of March 8, 2007 (exactly 6 years ago!) and the reference to a 1952 article in the Oregon Journal about DB when he was in Bend, Oregon. The article mentions the influence of Chin Chong on his art.

                                                  This morning I retrieved my notes on Chin Chong; just now I can't locate the advertising brochure but it probably dates from the early 1950s when the candlemaker's shop was on the temple grounds on North Vineyard Blvd., not Beretania. The three locations are as follows:

                                                  362 North Beretania St.
                                                  Chin Chong (Leong See)
                                                  1917-1918 city directory - general store

                                                  362 North Beretania St.
                                                  Chin Chong (Lum Kiang Hoy)
                                                  1921 city directory - general store

                                                  362 North Beretania St.
                                                  near King St. (on left side toward town)
                                                  Chin Chong Candle Shop
                                                  1923 - Honolulu Star-Bulletin

                                                  The above location is mauka across Beretania St. from the ewa end of Aala Park, which DB mentions often in his writing. Today the address is part of a low-income housing project.

                                                  1182 Nu'uanu St.
                                                  Chin Chong Candle Shop - opposite Liberty Theatre (1175 Nu'uanu)
                                                  Nov. 26, 1927 - Honolulu Star-Bulletin

                                                  Nu'uanu St. is the dividing line between north and south street designations and marked the edge of Chinatown. No. 1182 no longer exists -- the whole block between Pauahi and Beretania is now No. 1170 (apartment complex and shops) except for the church at No. 1190 on the corner of Beretania. The actual site is most likely the small post office station, which is closest to the church. It is about a block from the Hawaii Theatre on Bethel St. where DB produced Dream Girls.

                                                  170 North Vineyard Blvd.
                                                  Chin Chong Candle Shop
                                                  Per leaflet, no date but maybe 1950s
                                                  On site of Kuan Jin Temple next to Foster Botanical Gardens, near Aala St.

                                                  170 North Vineyard Blvd.
                                                  Chin Chong Candle Manufacturers (Mrs. Choy Moy Ching Lum*)
                                                  * r 43a Kahela Ln.
                                                  1954 Honolulu Polk's directory

                                                  The temple is a very beautiful building that dates from the late 1800's. The grounds, on which the candle shop was located, are adjacent to the botanical gardens.

                                                  From these city directory citations, I believe the candlemaker's real name is Lum Kiang Hoy. (Will have to locate the brochure to confirm.) Some years ago I was contacted by a descendant of Chin Chong who wanted a copy of DB's poem to read at a family funeral. Finding it among thousands of saved e-mails may take some time, but I'll try.

                                                  As far as I know, the first publication of the poem was in 1925 in the Star-Bulletin.

                                                  Hope this timeline helps, and perhaps the names will be familiar to the Chinese lady who has contacted you. I have photos of the 3 candle shop locations as they existed in August 2011 and will see about getting prints for you. I also need to schedule some library time to dig further through the Honolulu city directories. On my trips to Honolulu I concentrated on the 1920s and a bit on 1953 and 1954; now I need to fill in the gaps. Fortunately, the Seattle library has the directories either on microfilm or on the shelf.

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Mar 8 4:27 PM
                                                    Cadia: Thanks for the correction and updates. Though Hula Moons might be an
                                                    imaginary spin, I didn't see it as total fiction. I saw it as based on his
                                                    experiences as he saw them. I guess I would be totally surprised if he didn't
                                                    spend some time on Maui with Aunty Pinau. His descriptions are much too vivid
                                                    to be pure imagination. It could be he was there in January and February of
                                                    1917, just prior to going to work for the Advertiser. That would fit the time
                                                    line we're talking about.

                                                    Separate from this: Its good to stimulate some conversation on our site again.
                                                    We've been dead in the water too long. There's much to discover and talk
                                                    about. tj

                                                    ________________________________
[...]

                                                    From these city directory citations, I believe the candlemaker's real name is
                                                    Lum Kiang Hoy. (Will have to locate the brochure to confirm.) Some years ago I
                                                    was contacted by a descendant of Chin Chong who wanted a copy of DB's poem to
                                                    read at a family funeral. Finding it among thousands of saved e-mails may take
                                                    some time, but I'll try.

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Mar 9 12:24 PM
                                                      TJ, you'll be pleased to know that Hawaii Book Blog picked up the Star-Advertiser's story and tweeted a link to their many followers, mentioning my ID in the message. I RT'd to my 400+ followers, many of whom are also in Hawaii.

                                                      I also posted the story to my Facebook page.

                                                      So let's hope the extended "broadcast" gets some additional response.

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Mar 9 3:01 PM
                                                        I've emailed with several people who said they would put the article and my
                                                        email onto their blogs. Thats good news. I have an email today with a lead on
                                                        Aunty Pinau. She thinks Aunty Pinau's real name might be: Margeuite Keao
                                                        Hobron Kalaoklani (1885-1933) but the 1885 birth date doesn't match up to our
                                                        age factors unless we're totally wrong. tj

                                                        ________________________________

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Mar 10 4:06 PM
                                                          I think you might be right to look for other than Aunty Pinau. It can be
                                                          a nick name with naughty connotation, so it might have been a name given by
                                                          herself and not necessarily an alias.

                                                          aloha
                                                          Maui Tom

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Mar 16 8:45 AM
                                                            It appears that the dust of Aunty Pinau prefers to remain unseen. The article brought a few new leads for Don Blanding himself but nothing at all for Aunty Pinau. I'm not sure what to do now. I'm not sure that the article itself appeared on each Island. Does anyone in Hawaii know that? I had a phone call from a person from Kona who said he only heard of the article from a friend. Any suggestions? tj
                                                          • Allen Dayton
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Mar 16 9:16 AM
                                                              Tom! The Star-Advertiser is sold on the four big islands. I don't know about the other islands but on Maui, the Star-Advertiser would compete with the Maui newspaper and I suspect that more Maui natives read it instead of the Honolulu newspaper as it carries more local news. The Maui newspaper was distributed free to each room in our condo hotel, the Kaanapali Shores.

                                                              Two other suggestions: check with one of the local Maui radio stations and see if they have an appropriate call-in broadcast and if they do, call in.

                                                              Distribute fliers around the small villages in Maui and offer a small reward for information.

                                                              Good Luck!

                                                              Allen Dayton
                                                              Sent from my iPad

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Mar 16 10:13 AM
                                                                I'm not sure what is kosher in the newspaper business. My thought was to try to
                                                                have my article published in other newspapers but I suspect the Star-Advertiser
                                                                might object. I'm not sure how other newspapers might pick up the story and run
                                                                it. I'll check it out. Rewards? No, I'm a retired poor man. ha....tj