Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Allen Sawtelle

    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 19, 2013
      The 10th anniversary of Lei Day wasn't in 1929, as you say. My mind was
      drifting I guess. As our politician say, I mis-spoke. The photo I have, at
      least in my mind, shows him to be younger and slimmer than he was in the late
      thirties and early 40's. I suspect this photo is from the late 20's or very
      early 30's. Nothing in the photo can be dated by me so that I could actually
      date it. I'll see if I can send it to you and you can put it on our website.
      What email address should I use to send you this photo? Thanks for the
      timeline data. tj

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 15, 2014
        I'm hoping this message gets to Allen Sawtelle.  I need to talk with you.  You can email me or go through this site.  Thanks....tj
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 15, 2014
          I received word from Allen's wife, Wilma, that he is in hospice and only has a short time left.  His battle with cancer was long and tough.  Allen and I had some great talks about Blanding and what he remembered about him.  I met him in Las Vegas once and we spent the day together.  Our group should remember him.  Allen might be the last person alive that actually met and lived with Blanding.  tj
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 15, 2014

            Mahalo ,

            Prayers for a peaceful passing and soon long talks for Allen with Don.

            Bev.

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 16, 2014
              My thoughts and prayers are with him for a bon voyage. michael
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 19, 2014
                Allen's wife, Wilma, emailed with me and said that Allen passed away peacefully at their home on April 16th.  He has transitioned to his next being and is no longer suffering.  There might be some type of service but she wasn't clear on that.  I'll wait and see what the family decides.  Allen and I met several times to discuss his rememberances of Don while he lived with him as a teenager. We've stayed in touch as friends for the last 14 years.  He told me some things that I could not divulge until he passed on.  We know most of it anyway but to hear it first hand was interesting.  Allen also trusted me with a very nice Acrilyic painting Don painted from Joy is An Inside Job.  Allen sent it to me, trusting  me totally, for the 2000 show.  I don't know where that will go now but Allen had indicated he would donate everything he had to the Bishop Museum in Honolulu when he transitioned.  As I hear more I'll email with the group.  Allen was the last person alive, (that I know of) that intimately knew the Vagabond Poet.  tj
              • Karen Cotter
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 19, 2014

                  Thanks for the sad update and thanks for sharing this with those who care.....Karen C

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 19, 2014
                    Rest in peace Allen.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 19, 2014

                      On wings of angels!

                      Bev.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 22, 2014
                        His family is again in my thoughts and prayers. Aloha and bon voyage, Allen!