Allen Sawtelle

  • tjmarkle2005
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 15, 2013
      Allen: I have a photo you gave me years ago. It would appear to be DB with a Hawaiian woman and I suspect it would be Aunty Pinau. There is no date or other info on this photo. Would you look back through your photo's and look for the one with DB in slacks and a dark colored sports coat. He's wearing a lei also. She is right next to him and I would assume they were in Hawaii. Tell me if you remember anything about it or have some dates for it. If I had better confidence in it I would send it to the newspaper to be printed with my eventual story on Aunty Pinau. It might be the only actual photo we have of her, if it is her. Thanks...tj
    • mauibandb@...
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 15, 2013
        Was she draped in Lei. Maybe lei Queen Bina Mossman?

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 16, 2013
          No. I compared this picture with the oil painting picture of AuntyPinau and
          they appear to be the same person. If I could date it, and it was in the 40's,
          it would give credence to the Harry Owens version of her death in 46-47.
          Looking at Don's face and weight, I would say it is in the early 30's and maybe
          even 1929 when he was flown over to Honolulu for the 10th annual Lei Day
          celebration. Who knows. Research is sometimes a guessing game. No word yet
          from the Star-Advertiser. I don't want to bug them myself. She probably has
          her own timeline for articles she's working on. We're not the only fish in the
          tank. tj

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 18, 2013
            TJ
            I don't remember if you asked Desoto Brown if he knew who she was? He use
            to be with the Bishop Museum and was an afficionado of Blanding and his
            era?
            I am not sure if he maintains a presence in the blanding Group?
            Let me know if you want to contact him I will rustle the bushes and get
            contact information.
            aloha
            tom

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 18, 2013
              Prior to contacting the University of Hawaii for research help, I contacted the
              Bishop Museum. I was told that temporarily all research requests would not be
              honored as they were revamping their programs. I thought the Bishop Museum and
              Desoto Brown would be a natural for this. If you can rustle bushes, please do
              so. You can give him my name and email if you want to. Thanks for the help on
              this one. tj

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 19, 2013
                TJ, you might want to get your own timeline in order. Don Blanding left Honolulu in mid-July 1928, bound for Seattle through December and thence to New York through at least most of 1931. (He did travel a bit on the East Coast during 1930-31.)

                The 10th annual Lei Day was in May 1937 -- not 1929. This was DB's first visit back to Hawaii since he left in 1928. He arrived about April 19, 1937, and remained in the Islands until about September 20. He did not return again to Honolulu until late April 1939, remaining through the summer. He then made a mainland tour and went back to Honolulu in November (having asked friends to delay his birthday celebration until November 15).

                During the winter of 1939-1940, DB put together the production, A Night to Remember, which played in early February. By February 15, 1940, he was headed back to Carmel, CA, to sell his house and meander across country to Florida. (He and Dorothy met briefly on the day of his departure.) A short time after his arrival in Florida, he and Dorothy were married in mid-June.

                DB did not return again to the Islands until 1953, following his voyage to Micronesia; he left Bend, OR, in late August 1952 and as nearly as I can figure, was settled again in Honolulu by early spring 1953. DB remained in the Islands until September 1955. He spent the remainder of his life traveling on the mainland, with trips to both Alaska and Canada in 1956 and 1957.

                So, if taken in Hawaii, your photo has to be either (1) before mid-July 1928 or (2) between April-September 1937 or (3) between April-September 1939 or (4) between November 15, 1939, and February 15, 1940 or (5) between early 1953 and late September 1955.

                Hope this helps in dating the photo.

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 19, 2013
                  The 10th anniversary of Lei Day wasn't in 1929, as you say. My mind was
                  drifting I guess. As our politician say, I mis-spoke. The photo I have, at
                  least in my mind, shows him to be younger and slimmer than he was in the late
                  thirties and early 40's. I suspect this photo is from the late 20's or very
                  early 30's. Nothing in the photo can be dated by me so that I could actually
                  date it. I'll see if I can send it to you and you can put it on our website.
                  What email address should I use to send you this photo? Thanks for the
                  timeline data. tj

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 15, 2014
                    I'm hoping this message gets to Allen Sawtelle.  I need to talk with you.  You can email me or go through this site.  Thanks....tj
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 15, 2014
                      I received word from Allen's wife, Wilma, that he is in hospice and only has a short time left.  His battle with cancer was long and tough.  Allen and I had some great talks about Blanding and what he remembered about him.  I met him in Las Vegas once and we spent the day together.  Our group should remember him.  Allen might be the last person alive that actually met and lived with Blanding.  tj
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 15, 2014

                        Mahalo ,

                        Prayers for a peaceful passing and soon long talks for Allen with Don.

                        Bev.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 16, 2014
                          My thoughts and prayers are with him for a bon voyage. michael
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 19, 2014
                            Allen's wife, Wilma, emailed with me and said that Allen passed away peacefully at their home on April 16th.  He has transitioned to his next being and is no longer suffering.  There might be some type of service but she wasn't clear on that.  I'll wait and see what the family decides.  Allen and I met several times to discuss his rememberances of Don while he lived with him as a teenager. We've stayed in touch as friends for the last 14 years.  He told me some things that I could not divulge until he passed on.  We know most of it anyway but to hear it first hand was interesting.  Allen also trusted me with a very nice Acrilyic painting Don painted from Joy is An Inside Job.  Allen sent it to me, trusting  me totally, for the 2000 show.  I don't know where that will go now but Allen had indicated he would donate everything he had to the Bishop Museum in Honolulu when he transitioned.  As I hear more I'll email with the group.  Allen was the last person alive, (that I know of) that intimately knew the Vagabond Poet.  tj
                          • Karen Cotter
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 19, 2014

                              Thanks for the sad update and thanks for sharing this with those who care.....Karen C

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 19, 2014
                                Rest in peace Allen.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 19, 2014

                                  On wings of angels!

                                  Bev.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 22, 2014
                                    His family is again in my thoughts and prayers. Aloha and bon voyage, Allen!