Honolulu Star-Bulletin columns - January-March 1957

  • Cadia
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2013
      Happy New Year!

      It's time once again to present 3 months of Don Blanding's columns from the Honolulu Star-Bulletin's Saturday magazine, Hawaiian Life. In January-March 1957, DB writes about New Year's resolutions, a visit to his childhood home, touring on the girdle-gabble-gobble circuit, correspondence, Ed and Carmen Sawtelle, what your snapshots reveal, spring fever, bloopers, and more. Note that the 2013 calendar is the same as in 1957. Enjoy!

      http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/db-aloha57-1.html

      ~~C~~
    • mauibandb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2013
        Cadia or anyone
        Do we have documentation that Don Blanding was ever declared the official
        Poet Laureate of Hawaii by govt proclamation?

        mahalo
        Tom

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
          Cadia: Would it be possible to review DB columns from his first Advertiser ads
          through 1928? I am filling in some blanks with the origin of his Vagabonds
          House poem. I would also have to ask permission to use what I find. I'm still
          working on having the new Advertiser/Star Bulletin publish an article on Auntie
          Pinau. Thanks....tj

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
            Hello, Tom ...

            No, Don Blanding was never declared an official "poet laureate" in Hawaii or anywhere else. It's just a term of affection bestowed by his fans or perhaps by a book reviewer who was awed by his immense popularity.

            ~~Cadia
          • Cadia
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
              Hello, TJ . . .

              The only columns DB wrote for the Star-Bulletin were published in the Saturday magazine section, Hawaiian Life, between September 1953 and July 1957 (some posthumously). During this time (1954 and 1955) he also wrote a few separate articles and contributed some artwork for the magazine.

              From 1924 through mid-1928, he wrote a number of articles for the S-B -- primarily about his proposal for Lei Day in 1928. But he was not a columnist and did not have a regular daily or weekly article until 1953.

              I have transcribed most, if not all, of this material and uploaded it to the group website. Look in Files/Publications/Honolulu Star-Bulletin. I may have updated versions elsewhere, either correcting typos or inserting columns I was missing at the time. I know I still have to transcribe about 15 of the 200+ columns.

              For the Honolulu Advertiser, DB did a series of political cartoons for the editorial page, plus a few random cartoons on topics of interest. A couple of the latter are accompanied by non-bylined text, which may or may not have been written by DB. All of this material was published between mid-March and mid-May 1917.

              As you may recall, I scanned some of the 1917 cartoons several years ago and presented them here.

              Before 1924, DB's only contributions to the Star-Bulletin were the series of Aji-No-Moto ads placed by the Charles Frazier ad agency and a brief article in connection with the 1923 Ad Fair.

              It's a complete myth that DB had a weekly "Don Blanding page" in the Star-Bulletin. I have read every column inch of the S-B from December 1916 through 1928, even going back into the portions of 1922 and 1924
              that Keith read and for which he provided copies. Nowhere did I find evidence of any ongoing "page."

              I also have never found "Vagabond's House" (in any form) published in the Star-Bulletin through 1928. If it had been published from 1929 onward, it would have been indexed. I suppose it's possible that all or part of the poem may have appeared in the Honolulu Advertiser; I have read this newspaper only for 1917-1918 (when it was the Pacific Commercial Advertiser) plus indexed items after 1928.

              Hope this information helps.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
                Thanks Cadia. I believe I have the pieces of my Vagabonds House puzzle in order
                and I can see how it developed into the final published 1928 poem in his book.
                He played with it and tweaked it for nearly 5 years. I have a hard time
                believing it didn't show up in print somewhere else. I'm thinking it might have
                been partially published as is or under a different name with different
                experimental text. If not, then he kept it really close to himself for some
                unknown reason. It could be he just didn't think it would be as big as it
                became. tj

                ________________________________
                The only columns DB wrote for the Star-Bulletin were published in the Saturday
                magazine section, Hawaiian Life, between September 1953 and July 1957 (some
                posthumously). During this time (1954 and 1955) he also wrote a few separate
                articles and contributed some artwork for the magazine.

                From 1924 through mid-1928, he wrote a number of articles for the S-B --
                primarily about his proposal for Lei Day in 1928. But he was not a columnist
                and did not have a regular daily or weekly article until 1953.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
                  Hi, TJ . . .

                  Before about 1922, I don't think DB had any idea of writing verse -- he was an artist, not a writer. But the Aji-No-Moto ads must have spurred him into trying more complex media. (We know he wrote some song lyrics before 1920, but that's about all.)

                  DB was away from the Islands from October 1918 until late June 1920. I suppose it is possible that he jotted down some ideas and random thoughts during that time, remembering both his stay in Honolulu and his earlier jaunts to Yellowstone and to Bend, Oregon. The idea of "vagabonding" certainly was not new to him!

                  From June 1920 until May 1924, DB pretty much stayed put in Hawaii, working primarily as an artist but also beginning to write for publication -- including the Aji-No-Moto ads and, in 1923, Leaves From a Grass House. I've seen at least two "early" versions of Vagabond's House in typed manuscript form, on eBay, neither of which I was able to purchase. I did save images from one listing, but they "saved" as tiny thumbnail images that are completely unreadable. Whether the manuscripts were DB originals or simply someone's hasty transcription, I do not know. I recall that one version included mention that it had been found in an old barn, clearly not something that DB would have typed on his own manuscript! The number of stanzas and their order were different from the 1928 published poem.

                  If -- and this is a very big IF -- any form of Vagabond's House appeared in a newspaper prior to 1928, it might have been in the Advertiser. You may wish to look at microfilm from 1921 through 1923. DB had no direct connection to the Advertiser in those years (he was employed by Frazier) but he might have submitted something. Keep in mind, though, that he was developing close ties with the Star-Bulletin, which included assistance in publishing his 3 small books between 1923 and 1926. It's not too likely the competition would have been interested.

                  Now that I think about it, I may start reading microfilm again myself, although I had planned to wait until I go to Hawaii again in August. Ordering microfilm via the Seattle library now costs $5 per request.

                  By the way, I just uploaded a small part of my S-B index in Files/Publications/H S-B -- Nov-Dec 1916, Sept-Dec 1917 and Jan-Dec 1920. Other years are partly indexed; I just have to dig methodically through the hard copies to pick up missing bits and pieces.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
                    I'm totally surprised at your comments about DB not having a regular column. I
                    thought he was held in high esteem as a columnist and wrote columns similar to
                    what he wrote for the Carmel Pine Cone. The Vagabonds House poem first appeared
                    in print in 1923 but I was sure it had to surface a year or two prior in some
                    form or other. I can't believe he hid the poem until published in 1923. That
                    really wasn't his style. He frequently 'previewed' his work with others prior
                    to publishing. Hmmmmmm....tj