Auntie Pinau

  • tjmarkle2005
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2012
      The University of Hawaii emailed me back and said they found nothing on Auntie Pinau in their research help for me. I suspect as Maui Tom said that this is not her real name. I did read the biography of Harry Owens (Sweet Leilani) the 1930s band leader and he mentions her through out his bio. He first met her in 1934 (she was 80 Hawaiian summers old) and she helped him preserve the old Hawaiian music chants by singing them to Owens. Her date of death is somewhat of a mystery. Blanding has a poem dedicated to her in Memory Room published in 1935 and it was thought that this was about the time she passed. However, Harry Owens bio. has her still living as of 1946/47. Owens bio says that Aikune the Kahuma (Pinau's great uncle) died in 1946 and Auntie Pinau sent Owens Aikunes original writings of his old Hawaiian history. When the book was sent, Aikunes long house was mysteriously burned to the ground and Auntie Pinau was seen coming down the hill with something that looked like the book then sent to Owens. This all happened on Oahu around 1946/47. Auntie Pinau would have been in her 90's in 1946. I can't put credibility to the 1946 death of Pinau though. Folklore has a way of recreating it's own lore. I suspect Auntie Pinau died in/around 1934/35.
      We are at a dead end for now on this research piece. I'm thinking I will write this up and send it to the Advertiser hoping that they might put an article together helping us search for the mysterious missing Aunti Pinau. I'm positive there are relatives still surviving that would help uncover her real name and history. So, is there anyone in Hawaii reading this that has connections to a newspaper columnist that might create an article about her? I can't give up this research as she is a center piece for information about Blanding and a other very interesting history of that era. Thanks for any help in this one.....tj
    • tjmarkle2005
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
        I have been asked to write a short 500 to 800 article on the hunt for Auntie Pinau by the Honolulu Star Advertiser. I'll let you know when it is published...Yea!!! tj
      • Keith Emmons
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
          Very cool TJ - congrats! Keith
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
            Great! You will find her, I know it.

            Bev.

            _____

          • mauibandb@...
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
              great good job

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 18, 2013
                I'll be crafting this piece over the weekend. I have a lot of it written
                already. I plan to send it off sometime next week. I'd love to uncover this
                missing link to Blanding. She was instrumental in educating and supporting Don
                when he was so young. I suspect there are family members still around that
                would have information and hopefully, family photo's of her and who knows,
                photo's of Blanding himself. Don did a lot of watercolor sketches while with
                her (according to his comments in Hula Moons). Wouldn't it be cool to see
                something like that surface. When I know when it will be in the newspaper I'll
                email an alert. I want several copies myself. Mahalo to all who contribute to
                our site. tj

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 18, 2013
                  Great! Good luck! michael

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 18, 2013
                    Thank you Michael...tj

                    ________________________________
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 21, 2013
                      tj
                      Will Star bull advertiser allow the story to be carried on outer Island
                      Newspapers, Maui News, Orchid Isle, and Hawaii Times, Molokai Dispatch.
                      There is also Maui Times, Lahaina News (I think they would run the story) or
                      if you could tie in The Old Wailuku Inn changing the story a little bit
                      with Photo'of DB and Artwork I bet I could get it carried on Maui in Lahaina
                      News and Maui News, and Maybe Maui Times.
                      We could saturate the Islands to insure most every stone is uncovered.

                      aloha
                      Maui Tom

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 21, 2013
                        Maui Tom: First things first. I'm working on the article now. I want to send
                        it to the Star-Advertiser next week and see what reception it receives from them
                        and then the readers. Once published I believe we can get permission to use the
                        article in other newspapers as you suggest and point out. We can work the
                        system once I have some credibility. I like your idea and will need your help
                        getting it into smaller local venues once I get it published. We can use the
                        Wailuku Inn name as you already have credibility on Maui. When I know the
                        publish date in the Star-Bulletin I'll email it to our group. This is a good
                        opportunity and I don't want to blow it by doing to much too soon. Mahalo for
                        the support. tj

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 21, 2013
                          no that is fine. Whenever your ready let me know.

                          aloha
                          Tom