Re: [aloha-donblanding] Aunty Pinau

    Message 1 of 31 , Oct 21, 2012
      Mahalo, Maui Tom.....tj

      ________________________________
      From: "mauibandb@..." <mauibandb@...>
      To: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, October 21, 2012 7:02:11 PM
      Subject: Re: [aloha-donblanding] Aunty Pinau

      Tj
      I sent this post to some friends we will see if it reaps any returns.

      aloha
      Tom

      In a message dated 10/21/2012 3:57:21 P.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
      tjmarkle@... writes:

      I'm reading the autobiography of Harry Owens (Sweet Leilani). The back
      cover mentions that his interest in Hawaii was influenced by his attendance
      at a Hawaiian play called, none other than, Bird of Paradise, the same play
      that influenced DB to go to Hawaii. Owens says that he saw the play as a
      teenager but didn't go to Hawaii until 1933. Owens met Aunty Pinau who
      taught him some original Hawaiian songs and she sung them to him. Nothing was
      written down so he had to listen, improvise and create the new, I guess,
      westernized, hotel, Hawaiian music. It's interesting how all the 1930's
      path's seemed to cross each other in some way. The 1930's Hawaii, of course,
      wasn't as big and touristy as it is today. Also, i've not had any new
      information submitted via the Univ. of Hawaii. Hopefully they haven't
      forgotten me. Just thought you'd be interested and maybe something new here
      will

      jog more memories or inspire more research about Aunty Pinau. Mahalo....tj

    • mauibandb@...
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 2, 2013
        yahoo

        In a message dated 2/2/2013 7:34:55 A.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
        tjmarkle@... writes:

        The Star-Advertiser has all my material to create their story. I would
        hope by sometime next week I'll know when it will run. It's looking good so
        far. tj