Aunty Pinau

  • tjmarkle2005
    Message 1 of 31 , Oct 21, 2012
      I'm reading the autobiography of Harry Owens (Sweet Leilani). The back cover mentions that his interest in Hawaii was influenced by his attendance at a Hawaiian play called, none other than, Bird of Paradise, the same play that influenced DB to go to Hawaii. Owens says that he saw the play as a teenager but didn't go to Hawaii until 1933. Owens met Aunty Pinau who taught him some original Hawaiian songs and she sung them to him. Nothing was written down so he had to listen, improvise and create the new, I guess, westernized, hotel, Hawaiian music. It's interesting how all the 1930's path's seemed to cross each other in some way. The 1930's Hawaii, of course, wasn't as big and touristy as it is today. Also, i've not had any new information submitted via the Univ. of Hawaii. Hopefully they haven't forgotten me. Just thought you'd be interested and maybe something new here will jog more memories or inspire more research about Aunty Pinau. Mahalo....tj
    • mauibandb@...
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 2, 2013
        yahoo

        In a message dated 2/2/2013 7:34:55 A.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
        tjmarkle@... writes:

        The Star-Advertiser has all my material to create their story. I would
        hope by sometime next week I'll know when it will run. It's looking good so
        far. tj