Re: Aunty Pinau

  • Cadia
    Message 1 of 31 , Oct 3, 2012
      Hello, TJ . . .

      Perhaps you already have the following information about the sale of Hitchcock's painting:

      1920s HOWARD HITCHCOCK OIL PAINTING of AUNTY PINAU

      Very important, signed original oil by much sought after and collected Hawaiian artist D. Howard Hitchcock 1861 - 1943. Very unusual portrait of 'Aunty Pinau'. Kalaukalani, (Aunty) Pinau (died 1935) was a local Hawaiian personality around the turn of the century, friend to many of the local artists, entertainers and writers, she is referred to and written about in early publications by Don Blanding, among others. Image size 12 x 16; 19 1/2 x 23 1/2 vintage frame titled: 'Auntie Pinau' on reverse. A very rare offering at a much lower than usual price. Nearly 100 years old but still excellent condition!

      We will include the childs book Aunty Pinau's Banyan Tree just for fun.

      $0.00
      Item # 2473
      SOLD!
      http://www.surfnhula.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=2473

      Don Blanding's tribute to Aunty Pinau, upon hearing of her death, was published in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin on June 11, 1935. Since he was on the mainland at the time, I would imagine she had passed away sometime in late May or very early June. Aunty Pinau died in Honolulu, where she had been a much-loved a lei seller for many years. I know of no connection to Maui.

      If you do not have access to the Hawaii Newspaper Index (1929 and onward) bound volumes, I believe at least part of it is now online via the Hawaii State Library. You can, of course, contact someone at the library's Hawaii Room or Serials Department; they will be very happy to fax,e-mail or mail information to you. They charge for research time and photocopies, but all you really need to find out is if Aunty Pinau is mentioned in the index (1929-1935 only) aside from the Blanding tribute.

      There's also a fairly good Wikipedia article on D. Howard Hitchcock.

      You might also search for the surname Kalaukalani in the U.S. census for 1900, 1910, 1920 and 1930 to determine if and when Aunty Pinau lived on Maui.

      In all my microfilm reading, the only reference to Aunty Pinau that I came across is the 1935 tribute; I certainly went looking for an obit when I retrieved the item some years ago. For $10, you can order a copy of a Hawaii death certificate from the Department of Health at 1250 Punchbowl Street in Honolulu. The online form is for a certified copy but a letter request for a "genealogy" copy is sufficient.

      ~~Cadia
    • mauibandb@...
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 2, 2013
        yahoo

        In a message dated 2/2/2013 7:34:55 A.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
        tjmarkle@... writes:

        The Star-Advertiser has all my material to create their story. I would
        hope by sometime next week I'll know when it will run. It's looking good so
        far. tj