James C. Blanding - Livingston, MT

  • duchess@speakeasy.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2012
      Good morning, TJ . . .

      I believe DB worked for his Uncle James C. Blanding in 1909, possibly 1910 and 1911. In the summers of 1912 and 1913, DB was in Bend, Oregon, working for his cousin Charles S. Hudson.

      From my notes -- which are at home and I'm at work -- James C. was pretty well known in the Yellowstone N.P. area so you should be able to find something about him -- maybe even a photo? I think I have some newspaper clips about his work as a surveyor -- will dig them out tonight and e-mail you the citations. Be sure to check the local newspaper morgues or at the nearest college, university or historical society in the general area.

      By the way, I just confirmed that both James C. and his 2nd wife Mary are buried at Fairmount Cemetery (Fairhaven?) in Wahpeton, Richland County, ND. About 6 members of the Blanding family are also buried here (several brothers and a sister, including the elusive Libby, I think). Will you be going in that direction?

      More later!

      ~~Cadia
    • Lora
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2012
        Thanks for sharing this Cadia. Remember too that Louis Polydore Hudson and Sarah Kimble were at one time found in the census living in Wahpeton (I would have to check for the year).....probably because of the Blandings???? Lora

        PS to RCHudson....did you know that Charles Sutherland Hudson, son of Louis Polydore Hudson who was Aaron Guy's son with Hannah Sutherland was a prominent banker in Bend, Oregon...retired in CA and died here...he is the one that resembles H.D.

        I believe DB worked for his Uncle James C. Blanding in 1909, possibly 1910 and 1911. In the summers of 1912 and 1913, DB was in Bend, Oregon, working for his cousin Charles S. Hudson.

        From my notes -- which are at home and I'm at work -- James C. was pretty well known in the Yellowstone N.P. area so you should be able to find something about him -- maybe even a photo? I think I have some newspaper clips about his work as a surveyor -- will dig them out tonight and e-mail you the citations. Be sure to check the local newspaper morgues or at the nearest college, university or historical society in the general area.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31, 2012
          The Yellowstone Museum curator emailed with me and they found no photo's of
          James C. Blanding. I'm seeking photo's of any road crews if they exist so I can
          review them and by chance see a young DB. I really doubt anything exists in
          terms of photo's. There is a small hill inside Yellowstone named Blanding Hill
          that was named after James C. Blanding who graded the road around the hill and
          so was named after him. It really isn't critical but it would be fun to see a
          young DB working with his uncle. What I remember was that young DB would come
          to Livingstone via railroad and met his uncle. The train went to Gardner, the
          gateway to Yellowstone, where I suspect young DB stayed with his uncle. I have
          one photo of a 16 year old DB dressed in his Yellowstone work garb and I'd like
          to get one of him in Yellowstone proper. Oh well. We are not going further
          than Montana this year. From here we head to Las Vegas then home. tj

          I believe DB worked for his Uncle James C. Blanding in 1909, possibly 1910 and
          1911. In the summers of 1912 and 1913, DB was in Bend, Oregon, working for his
          cousin Charles S. Hudson.

          From my notes -- which are at home and I'm at work -- James C. was pretty well
          known in the Yellowstone N.P. area so you should be able to find something about
          him -- maybe even a photo? I think I have some newspaper clips about his work
          as a surveyor -- will dig them out tonight and e-mail you the citations. Be
          sure to check the local newspaper morgues or at the nearest college, university
          or historical society in the general area.