Re: Origins of Vagabond's House Poem

  • Cadia
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2012
      I recall a brief item in the Star-Bulletin (maybe 1926 or 1927) about a book of DB's poems to be published on the mainland. Not sure it was to be titled Vagabond's House, but George Putnam's name was mentioned. I have not yet indexed these 2 years but I'll try to locate the article sometime this weekend.

      Vagabond's House (the poem) was never published in the Star-Bulletin; it is far too long. I have read ALL of 1917-1928 with a few exceptions. Keith read 1922 and part of 1924 and sent me copies; neither of us could get microfilm for May 1923 (we tried several times). I'll be at the Hawaii State Library in Honolulu next week and will make one last try to find that missing month.

      The poem is said to have evolved from the Aji-No-Moto ads, but having collected almost all of those ads from 1922-23 I can honestly say that except for the reference to spices and condiments, there is no direct connection. However, these ads were DB's first at writing verse for publication; no doubt the popularity of the ads encouraged him to do more writing. Remember, he was an artist, not a writer; the ad-writing assignment was by pure chance.

      In September 2006, there was a typewritten version of Vagabond's House for sale on eBay. (I did not win it.) The title was "Vagabond House" and I think there were slightly fewer verses and in different order than the finished poem. I made comparisons at the time but did not take notes or, if I did, I can't find them. The typescript was undated and may or may not have been from DB's typewriter. I saved images from that auction, but only one is large enough to be readable; all the others are the size of a postage stamp! I'll try to upload the single image here.

      One could say that the first publication of the poem Vagabond's House was in Leaves From a Grass House (1923). This version begins with the ttitle "Some Lines Scrawled on the Door of Aloha House" and continues as "Aloha House." Combined, there are 10 segments; most of the lines found their way into the final version published in 1928 by Dodd, Mead & Co.

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4, 2012
        Thanks Cadia. I do have other information. I'll sketch it out, as it differs a
        bit from what you say about the origins of Vagabond's House. It's still up for
        some interpretation. The future editions of Leaves of Grass changed. I don't
        how many editions there were of Leaves from a Grass House but I do have #6,8&9.
        I'm quite interested in the early Star Bulletin columns, especially the one
        about Putnam . I'll sketch out my version and post it tomorrow. tj