Re: Origins of Vagabond's House Poem

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 25, 2012
      Oh gosh, Tom...I probably have it somewhere in my basement. To the best of my recollection, it was a 1926 Star Bulletin article which mentioned that Don had a publishing deal to have his book Vagabond's House published on the mainland by George Putnum (who he was friends with from Bend, Oregon). Obviously Putnam never went though with it.

      I'll try and find the article this week. I also have to find some music for Tom Fairbanks. My files have all become semi-lost in the quagmire that we call a basement. Piles and piles of our discarded and forgotten junk and debris. We keep thinning it out by making trips to Goodwill...bit it seems to grow on it's own accord. Amazing to think that sixteen years ago all that I owned was what fit in my backpack as I roamed Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

      I think an extensive study of where Vagabond's House originated from is a worthy cause. I've always had a feeling that it formed pre-1923 from bits and pieces of his Aji-No-Moto advertising copy. I remember one of the ads he wrote was about spices, and sounded very similar to one of the stanzas from Vagabond's House.

      Keith

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 25, 2012
        Maybe Cadia will read this and have the Star Bulletin article. You've become a
        true basement model American. Since Vagabond's House was his signature poem,
        and book, I thought I'd have a crack at revealing it's origins as best we can
        speculate. The poem I purchased is definitely his typewriter including typo's
        but the title is totally different and an early version. Just fun stuff for me.
        tj

        ________________________________
        Oh gosh, Tom...I probably have it somewhere in my basement. To the best of my
        recollection, it was a 1926 Star Bulletin article which mentioned that Don had a
        publishing deal to have his book Vagabond's House published on the mainland by
        George Putnum (who he was friends with from Bend, Oregon). Obviously Putnam
        never went though with it.

        I'll try and find the article this week. I also have to find some music for Tom
        Fairbanks. My files have all become semi-lost in the quagmire that we call a
        basement. Piles and piles of our discarded and forgotten junk and debris. We
        keep thinning it out by making trips to Goodwill...bit it seems to grow on it's
        own accord. Amazing to think that sixteen years ago all that I owned was what
        fit in my backpack as I roamed Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

        I think an extensive study of where Vagabond's House originated from is a worthy
        cause. I've always had a feeling that it formed pre-1923 from bits and pieces of
        his Aji-No-Moto advertising copy. I remember one of the ads he wrote was about
        spices, and sounded very similar to one of the stanzas from Vagabond's House.

        Keith

        --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS MARKLE <tjmarkle@...> wrote:

        > I hadn't read the article you read. Do you have it or remember where it was
        > published? I'd like to get a copy of that. The new poem I bought with a
        > different title peaked my interest in this....tj
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Cadia
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2012
          I recall a brief item in the Star-Bulletin (maybe 1926 or 1927) about a book of DB's poems to be published on the mainland. Not sure it was to be titled Vagabond's House, but George Putnam's name was mentioned. I have not yet indexed these 2 years but I'll try to locate the article sometime this weekend.

          Vagabond's House (the poem) was never published in the Star-Bulletin; it is far too long. I have read ALL of 1917-1928 with a few exceptions. Keith read 1922 and part of 1924 and sent me copies; neither of us could get microfilm for May 1923 (we tried several times). I'll be at the Hawaii State Library in Honolulu next week and will make one last try to find that missing month.

          The poem is said to have evolved from the Aji-No-Moto ads, but having collected almost all of those ads from 1922-23 I can honestly say that except for the reference to spices and condiments, there is no direct connection. However, these ads were DB's first at writing verse for publication; no doubt the popularity of the ads encouraged him to do more writing. Remember, he was an artist, not a writer; the ad-writing assignment was by pure chance.

          In September 2006, there was a typewritten version of Vagabond's House for sale on eBay. (I did not win it.) The title was "Vagabond House" and I think there were slightly fewer verses and in different order than the finished poem. I made comparisons at the time but did not take notes or, if I did, I can't find them. The typescript was undated and may or may not have been from DB's typewriter. I saved images from that auction, but only one is large enough to be readable; all the others are the size of a postage stamp! I'll try to upload the single image here.

          One could say that the first publication of the poem Vagabond's House was in Leaves From a Grass House (1923). This version begins with the ttitle "Some Lines Scrawled on the Door of Aloha House" and continues as "Aloha House." Combined, there are 10 segments; most of the lines found their way into the final version published in 1928 by Dodd, Mead & Co.

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 4, 2012
            Thanks Cadia. I do have other information. I'll sketch it out, as it differs a
            bit from what you say about the origins of Vagabond's House. It's still up for
            some interpretation. The future editions of Leaves of Grass changed. I don't
            how many editions there were of Leaves from a Grass House but I do have #6,8&9.
            I'm quite interested in the early Star Bulletin columns, especially the one
            about Putnam . I'll sketch out my version and post it tomorrow. tj