Origins of Vagabond's House Poem

  • tjmarkle2005
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 24, 2012
      I'm deep into the my own mystery of where this poem originated and what the original title was. I see several thoughts about this including one on Wikipedia. Any info or thoughts would be appreciated. I recently bought an early version of the poem from Filip in Croatia. This poem was titled; THE DREAM HOUSE OF A VAGABOND. The stanzas of the early poem are identical to the 1928 version except that the 1928 version had extra stanza's written into it. It was a longer poem with more thought. So, the version I purchased is an earlier version with a different title and fewer stanza's. I'm going through all my early DB books looking for any reference to Vagabond's House or similar wording. Any help would be appreciated....tj
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 24, 2012
        You remember, or corse, that "vagabond's House" first appeared in the first edition of his first book LEAVES FROM A GRASS HOUSE... And was then removed in the 2nd and later editions?

        Keith

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 24, 2012
          No, I didn't know that or forgot it. There are references to the poem in his
          earlier books. I'll check the editions I have. As I move into certain area's
          the mind forgets and needs to be jogged a bit. Thanks and I'll check the
          editions...tj

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 25, 2012
            TJ

            In the second edition of LEAVES FROM A GRASS HOUSE, "Vagabond's House" was replaced with "Aloha House." It's my theory that Don decided to take Vagabond's House out so that he could use it as the title piece for another book (which of course he eventually did).

            I remember reading an article that stated VAGABOND'S HOUSE would be published in book form as early as 1926 by his friend George Putnum...but that arrangement fell through.

            It wasn't until two years later that it was actually published by Dodd, Mead and Co. in New York.

            Keith

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 25, 2012
              I hadn't read the article you read. Do you have it or remember where it was
              published? I'd like to get a copy of that. The new poem I bought with a
              different title peaked my interest in this....tj

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 25, 2012
                Oh gosh, Tom...I probably have it somewhere in my basement. To the best of my recollection, it was a 1926 Star Bulletin article which mentioned that Don had a publishing deal to have his book Vagabond's House published on the mainland by George Putnum (who he was friends with from Bend, Oregon). Obviously Putnam never went though with it.

                I'll try and find the article this week. I also have to find some music for Tom Fairbanks. My files have all become semi-lost in the quagmire that we call a basement. Piles and piles of our discarded and forgotten junk and debris. We keep thinning it out by making trips to Goodwill...bit it seems to grow on it's own accord. Amazing to think that sixteen years ago all that I owned was what fit in my backpack as I roamed Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

                I think an extensive study of where Vagabond's House originated from is a worthy cause. I've always had a feeling that it formed pre-1923 from bits and pieces of his Aji-No-Moto advertising copy. I remember one of the ads he wrote was about spices, and sounded very similar to one of the stanzas from Vagabond's House.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 25, 2012
                  Maybe Cadia will read this and have the Star Bulletin article. You've become a
                  true basement model American. Since Vagabond's House was his signature poem,
                  and book, I thought I'd have a crack at revealing it's origins as best we can
                  speculate. The poem I purchased is definitely his typewriter including typo's
                  but the title is totally different and an early version. Just fun stuff for me.
                  tj

                  ________________________________
                  Oh gosh, Tom...I probably have it somewhere in my basement. To the best of my
                  recollection, it was a 1926 Star Bulletin article which mentioned that Don had a
                  publishing deal to have his book Vagabond's House published on the mainland by
                  George Putnum (who he was friends with from Bend, Oregon). Obviously Putnam
                  never went though with it.

                  I'll try and find the article this week. I also have to find some music for Tom
                  Fairbanks. My files have all become semi-lost in the quagmire that we call a
                  basement. Piles and piles of our discarded and forgotten junk and debris. We
                  keep thinning it out by making trips to Goodwill...bit it seems to grow on it's
                  own accord. Amazing to think that sixteen years ago all that I owned was what
                  fit in my backpack as I roamed Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

                  I think an extensive study of where Vagabond's House originated from is a worthy
                  cause. I've always had a feeling that it formed pre-1923 from bits and pieces of
                  his Aji-No-Moto advertising copy. I remember one of the ads he wrote was about
                  spices, and sounded very similar to one of the stanzas from Vagabond's House.

                  Keith

                  --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS MARKLE <tjmarkle@...> wrote:

                  > I hadn't read the article you read. Do you have it or remember where it was
                  > published? I'd like to get a copy of that. The new poem I bought with a
                  > different title peaked my interest in this....tj
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Cadia
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 3, 2012
                    I recall a brief item in the Star-Bulletin (maybe 1926 or 1927) about a book of DB's poems to be published on the mainland. Not sure it was to be titled Vagabond's House, but George Putnam's name was mentioned. I have not yet indexed these 2 years but I'll try to locate the article sometime this weekend.

                    Vagabond's House (the poem) was never published in the Star-Bulletin; it is far too long. I have read ALL of 1917-1928 with a few exceptions. Keith read 1922 and part of 1924 and sent me copies; neither of us could get microfilm for May 1923 (we tried several times). I'll be at the Hawaii State Library in Honolulu next week and will make one last try to find that missing month.

                    The poem is said to have evolved from the Aji-No-Moto ads, but having collected almost all of those ads from 1922-23 I can honestly say that except for the reference to spices and condiments, there is no direct connection. However, these ads were DB's first at writing verse for publication; no doubt the popularity of the ads encouraged him to do more writing. Remember, he was an artist, not a writer; the ad-writing assignment was by pure chance.

                    In September 2006, there was a typewritten version of Vagabond's House for sale on eBay. (I did not win it.) The title was "Vagabond House" and I think there were slightly fewer verses and in different order than the finished poem. I made comparisons at the time but did not take notes or, if I did, I can't find them. The typescript was undated and may or may not have been from DB's typewriter. I saved images from that auction, but only one is large enough to be readable; all the others are the size of a postage stamp! I'll try to upload the single image here.

                    One could say that the first publication of the poem Vagabond's House was in Leaves From a Grass House (1923). This version begins with the ttitle "Some Lines Scrawled on the Door of Aloha House" and continues as "Aloha House." Combined, there are 10 segments; most of the lines found their way into the final version published in 1928 by Dodd, Mead & Co.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 4, 2012
                      Thanks Cadia. I do have other information. I'll sketch it out, as it differs a
                      bit from what you say about the origins of Vagabond's House. It's still up for
                      some interpretation. The future editions of Leaves of Grass changed. I don't
                      how many editions there were of Leaves from a Grass House but I do have #6,8&9.
                      I'm quite interested in the early Star Bulletin columns, especially the one
                      about Putnam . I'll sketch out my version and post it tomorrow. tj