Happy May day

  • mauibandb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 1:57 PM
      Aloha All

      Best Wishes from all of us at the Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono
      www.mauiinn.com. Dedicated to the preservation of Don Blandings legacy. We are
      celebrating the day that Don is most famous for in Hawai'i.

      Lyrics & Music: Leonard Hawk

      According to Harry B. Soria, the celebration of May 1 as Lei Day was
      invented in 1927 by island artist and writer Donald Benson Blanding and Grace
      Tower Warren. Don Blanding is also credited with the invention of the custom
      of tossing your lei overboard when you sailed away from Honolulu. If the
      lei came back to shore (and most did) it supposedly meant you would return.

      Recordings:
      CS: Genoa Keawe, All Time Hula Favorites (Poki SPC-9001)
      (http://www.mele.com/)

      May Day is Lei Day in Hawaii
      Garlands of flowers everywhere
      All of the colors in the rainbow
      Maidens with blossoms in their hair

      Flowers that mean we should be happy
      Throwing aside a load of care
      Oh, May Day is Lei Day in Hawaii
      May Day is happy days out there

      _http://video.about.com/gohawaii/Celebrate-Lei-Day-in-Hawaii.htm_
      (http://video.about.com/gohawaii/Celebrate-Lei-Day-in-Hawaii.htm)

      aloha
      Maui Tom

      Message 2 of 4 , May 1 5:23 PM
        Aloha my friend. May Day is Lei Day and may it be a good one. tj

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2012
          Aloha All

          Further to May Day I found the 2012 Lahaina Town Action Committee Poster a
          painting of lei makers on May Day is Lei Day in Hawaii (thanks to Don
          Blanding). You can purchase it if you like by folling the directions on the
          website. _http://www.visitlahaina.com/gallery.html_
          (http://www.visitlahaina.com/gallery.html)

          Maui Tom