Re: Rogue River DB

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 26, 2011
      But remember Curt...HAWAII SAYS ALOHA was filled with recycled work...poetry and illustrations culled from earlier books...a sort of BEST OF collection of his earlier works.

      I think there was some new material, but Jerry's friend's drawing could still be an earlier work.

      Keith

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 26, 2011
        Of my 6 originals only one had extra writing underneath the frame that revealed
        information. It wasn't the norm for him to document anything he did. We'll
        see. tj

        ________________________________

        At 09:53 AM 4/26/2011, you wrote:
        >it might be possible to decipher the date that DB signed it (in 19?1)

      • onion3851
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 28, 2011
          Hello,
          Well, Pat and I took the DB painting to Ashland yesterday. Ashland in the home of Southern Oregon University and is a wonderful home of art and music. with many galleries, the Shakespeare Festival, a summer loaded with opera and plays and concerts. So we visited a half-dozen galleries. Only one was conversant about DB, and she reaffirmed that it is an original work. She advised us to go to a website called AskArt.com and use their program as a next step. The site really looks good, and I wondered if any of you folks have ever used it or have knowledge about it as to its effectiveness and reliability. They charge $14.95 to do a complete search and list DB's paintings that have sold and what they brought. So we most likely will use them unless we hear different from somebody who knows more than we do about it. (They wouldn't have to know much! Hah!)

          I will go to the library today to see if they can get the book that contains a print and its name. It's not in our system in Jackson County, but they have access to books at Oregon University, Oregon State, and the California university system. I am sure they can get it for us and we can look to the print in the book.

          This whole adventure is a hoot for our coffee group at the senior center, and they all want to be updated every morning on how the search is going. And I thank you again for your help.

          Aloha, Jerry
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 28, 2011
            This kind of DB art work isn't exceptionally valuable. Of course it always
            depends on how bad the bidder wants it. I've purchased 6 or so originals and
            they might average $300 for one of similar style. I've never used askArt.com so
            can't advise on that. The sun/moon with clouds type of DB art is not
            particularly exciting as he did a lot of them for his books. I kinda think he
            could kick one out in 30 minutes because he did so many. If you can tie the art
            piece to something special then the art becomes special and might fetch a little
            more money. For instance, I have a similar piece with almost identical dark
            wavy water features on the bottom like yours but my piece is from 1934 in a book
            all Land of Gold that printed only 500 copies. He did all original work for this
            book. It is also the very first piece of art in the book adjacent to the title
            page. This then identifies my art piece as being the title page art piece which
            would be called "Land of Gold". It was drawn with the intention of it being
            DB's image of Land of Gold. Hence it can have additional interest and value
            because of where it was placed in this limited edition book and it being
            adjacent to the actual title. Your drawing might be called, "Rising Moon"
            because the verse adjacent to this art piece in 'Hawaii Says Aloha' is called '
            Rising Moon - The moon is a great gold coin tossed to those ragged vagabonds,
            the clouds.' When you see it in the book you know what I mean. This verse is
            familiar and might have been written many years before it appeared in this book.
            I think he drew this piece for this book but he adapted and stole images from
            his past drawings to put it together. The clouds are not as intricately drawn
            as others I've seen. They are easily drawn swirls without the striking
            intricate, busy cloud features of his younger years. The water, as I said
            before, is from memory of what he did before similar to the piece I own from
            1934. If I were to appraise this piece myself, I would put $200-$350 on it. I
            hope that you find its value is significantly more as that would jump the value
            of my collection also...smiles.....If you have further questions please let me
            know.....tj

            Message 5 of 13 , May 21 1:25 PM
              Well, I am immersed in regret, I am replete with rue, because I did not do what I had set out to do. I did not get the DB painting on ebay this morning. The modern adaption of the old saying, "The only thing worse than being wrong is being wrong at the top of your voice!" has now become "The only thing than being wrong is posting it all over the world!"

              I will wait until Monday or Tuesday to post since I want it to end in the mornings. And I will let you know AFTER I have it done this time!

              Regards, Jerry
            • onion3851
              Message 6 of 13 , May 27 7:50 AM
                Aloha Y'all!

                Finally going to get the painting on ebay this morning. Thank you for all your help. The reserve price is $200, and a local artist will buy it for that if it gets no bids.

                Regards. Jerry