Rogue River DB

  • onion3851
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 24, 2011
      OOPS
      The first word in line ahead of "James" is "For"
    • onion3851
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 24, 2011
        Hello Curt,

        Does your statement mean that the drawing that our gentleman in RR owns is not an original? What a disappointment for him and for us if that is so. Thank you for your expert help.

        Jerry
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 24, 2011
          I would think it is an original. Again, look at the piece and see if there are
          any white out markings on it. That would define it as an original for me. If
          there isn't white out, then I'd have to see it in person or at least a blown up
          copy of it. In his 11X17 versions there is usually some form of correction
          ink/white out and upon close inspection you can see them. When reprinted, the
          corrections usually disappear. With time the paper turns color to a tanish hue
          but the corrections remain visible. You can upload a bigger version to my email
          address directly if you want. It is; tjmarkle@.... tj

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 25, 2011
            Jerry,

            In looking at your photos it appears your friend's artwork is most definitely an original. There are bits of white-out on the drawing that were used to prepare the image for reproduction into book format by the publisher.

            If in fact the image appears in one of Don's books, it does not diminish the value and worth of the artwork itself. Your friend has a nice piece of Blanding history...he should treasure it.

            Keith

            --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "onion3851" <onion3851@...> wrote:

            > Hello Curt,
            >
            > Does your statement mean that the drawing that our gentleman in RR owns is not an original? What a disappointment for him and for us if that is so. Thank you for your expert help.
            >
            > Jerry

          • onion3851
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 26, 2011
              This morning we had a professional artist, Brian Day, come in to the Senior Center and look at the Don Blanding artwork. He said it is clearly an original work, and he showed us the the pencil marks that show up clearly under his magnifier. It is white paper that is painted with black brush strokes, not a pen. He recommended that we have a professional put a new frame on it, and when they take it apart look to see if there is any information on the back of the painting, perhaps the name of the painting or names and dates when it was painted or given. Also when it is out of the frame it might be possible to decipher the date that DB signed it (in 19?1). Thank you all for your interest and help and I will post additional information as we go along on this interesting journey.
            • Curt Blanding
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 26, 2011
                Hi Jerry,

                My guess is that the date should be 1951. This drawing was published
                in 1955 in "Hawaii says Aloha."

                The Dust Jacket inside the front cover says -

                "Profusely illustrated in a variety of colors, with the writer's
                entirely new drawings ..."

                hope this helps,
                Curt

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 26, 2011
                  But remember Curt...HAWAII SAYS ALOHA was filled with recycled work...poetry and illustrations culled from earlier books...a sort of BEST OF collection of his earlier works.

                  I think there was some new material, but Jerry's friend's drawing could still be an earlier work.

                  Keith

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 26, 2011
                    Of my 6 originals only one had extra writing underneath the frame that revealed
                    information. It wasn't the norm for him to document anything he did. We'll
                    see. tj

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 28, 2011
                      Hello,
                      Well, Pat and I took the DB painting to Ashland yesterday. Ashland in the home of Southern Oregon University and is a wonderful home of art and music. with many galleries, the Shakespeare Festival, a summer loaded with opera and plays and concerts. So we visited a half-dozen galleries. Only one was conversant about DB, and she reaffirmed that it is an original work. She advised us to go to a website called AskArt.com and use their program as a next step. The site really looks good, and I wondered if any of you folks have ever used it or have knowledge about it as to its effectiveness and reliability. They charge $14.95 to do a complete search and list DB's paintings that have sold and what they brought. So we most likely will use them unless we hear different from somebody who knows more than we do about it. (They wouldn't have to know much! Hah!)

                      I will go to the library today to see if they can get the book that contains a print and its name. It's not in our system in Jackson County, but they have access to books at Oregon University, Oregon State, and the California university system. I am sure they can get it for us and we can look to the print in the book.

                      This whole adventure is a hoot for our coffee group at the senior center, and they all want to be updated every morning on how the search is going. And I thank you again for your help.

                      Aloha, Jerry
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 28, 2011
                        This kind of DB art work isn't exceptionally valuable. Of course it always
                        depends on how bad the bidder wants it. I've purchased 6 or so originals and
                        they might average $300 for one of similar style. I've never used askArt.com so
                        can't advise on that. The sun/moon with clouds type of DB art is not
                        particularly exciting as he did a lot of them for his books. I kinda think he
                        could kick one out in 30 minutes because he did so many. If you can tie the art
                        piece to something special then the art becomes special and might fetch a little
                        more money. For instance, I have a similar piece with almost identical dark
                        wavy water features on the bottom like yours but my piece is from 1934 in a book
                        all Land of Gold that printed only 500 copies. He did all original work for this
                        book. It is also the very first piece of art in the book adjacent to the title
                        page. This then identifies my art piece as being the title page art piece which
                        would be called "Land of Gold". It was drawn with the intention of it being
                        DB's image of Land of Gold. Hence it can have additional interest and value
                        because of where it was placed in this limited edition book and it being
                        adjacent to the actual title. Your drawing might be called, "Rising Moon"
                        because the verse adjacent to this art piece in 'Hawaii Says Aloha' is called '
                        Rising Moon - The moon is a great gold coin tossed to those ragged vagabonds,
                        the clouds.' When you see it in the book you know what I mean. This verse is
                        familiar and might have been written many years before it appeared in this book.
                        I think he drew this piece for this book but he adapted and stole images from
                        his past drawings to put it together. The clouds are not as intricately drawn
                        as others I've seen. They are easily drawn swirls without the striking
                        intricate, busy cloud features of his younger years. The water, as I said
                        before, is from memory of what he did before similar to the piece I own from
                        1934. If I were to appraise this piece myself, I would put $200-$350 on it. I
                        hope that you find its value is significantly more as that would jump the value
                        of my collection also...smiles.....If you have further questions please let me
                        know.....tj

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 21, 2011
                          Well, I am immersed in regret, I am replete with rue, because I did not do what I had set out to do. I did not get the DB painting on ebay this morning. The modern adaption of the old saying, "The only thing worse than being wrong is being wrong at the top of your voice!" has now become "The only thing than being wrong is posting it all over the world!"

                          I will wait until Monday or Tuesday to post since I want it to end in the mornings. And I will let you know AFTER I have it done this time!

                          Regards, Jerry
                        • onion3851
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 27, 2011
                            Aloha Y'all!

                            Finally going to get the painting on ebay this morning. Thank you for all your help. The reserve price is $200, and a local artist will buy it for that if it gets no bids.

                            Regards. Jerry