Re: Don Blanding items owned by an 88-year old army veteran in Oregon

  • Lora
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 20, 2011
      WOW...can't wait to read the replies....mouths must be watering....

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 20, 2011
        The book,' Hawaii Says Hello' is fairly common and not exceptionally valuable.
        If it has an interesting inscription and a dust jacket it can be easily
        marketed. 'Leaves from a Grass House' is also fairly common. We would need the
        brochure name to determine rarity (or not). The 6X10 drawing is interesting
        though small. If it has small white out markings on it then it might have been
        used in a book. Don would correct his drawings with white out before final book
        submission. I own several drawings like this. The white out doesn't show in
        the book. If there isn't any white out then it could be a print not an
        original. If original then it might have been a presentation piece to a friend
        which is what it sounds like to me. We would be most interested in this WWII
        vets views on Don himself. Did he ever meet him? What does he remember about
        the those times and did Blanding communicate with him by letter? Does he still
        have the letters if he did? Any information at all would be helpful in our
        research. I know that Don maintained touch with several WWII vets that I
        interviewed and they had his letters which I copied. tj