Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Valley of the Moon - Jack London

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
      Glad to have sparked a new interest. There is a book I saw several years ago
      when I was researching at the Carmel Historical Library. I've forgotten the
      actual title but I think I can locate it again. The title of the book might
      have been Carmel's Bohemian Poets, or some derivative of that name. I browsed
      it but didn't get a chance to read it and now I wish I had. I'll track it down.
      It mentioned and discussed some of the writers I mentioned (Stoddard, Sterling,
      London and others). One interesting fact I remembered was how the 1906
      earthquake unsettled this same group of writers and they had to move to Carmel
      because their SF building was destroyed in the quake. I would be interested in
      reading Charmain's letters from the 1930's. I think DB met Armine for the first
      time at their publishers office in NY if I remember the story correctly. I'm
      interested in what motivated and inspired DB to do some things that I previously
      ascribed to his just being a self motivated vagabond. I don't think it was
      always the case. There may have been more influences on him that we know. As a
      side note, there is another bio on Jack London that suggests he was homosexual
      or bi-sexual and he and his best buddy from Carmel, George Sterling were linked.
      That one threw me for a loop. I hadn't a clue. A-La-Don Blanding? Isn't
      research fun!!! tj

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
        Bev: Do you have Charmain's letters from 1920-1940? tj

        ________________________________
        I have most of the articles about their visit to the island that pertain
        to the vT's and have read most of what was written about them looking for
        the vT's.

        Mahalo for all you have done for my project.

        Bev.

        _____

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
          All of her letters are at the Huntington Library in San Moreno.

          I believe there are copies in Sonoma at the University.

          I took notes on the things I wanted to know about. Like Keith,

          I have not done much research in the past year.

          Bev.

          _____