RE: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Valley of the Moon - Jack London

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 25, 2011
      Cadia,

      I have most of the articles about their visit to the island that pertain
      to the vT's and have read most of what was written about them looking for
      the vT's.

      Mahalo for all you have done for my project.

      Bev.

      _____

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
        Glad to have sparked a new interest. There is a book I saw several years ago
        when I was researching at the Carmel Historical Library. I've forgotten the
        actual title but I think I can locate it again. The title of the book might
        have been Carmel's Bohemian Poets, or some derivative of that name. I browsed
        it but didn't get a chance to read it and now I wish I had. I'll track it down.
        It mentioned and discussed some of the writers I mentioned (Stoddard, Sterling,
        London and others). One interesting fact I remembered was how the 1906
        earthquake unsettled this same group of writers and they had to move to Carmel
        because their SF building was destroyed in the quake. I would be interested in
        reading Charmain's letters from the 1930's. I think DB met Armine for the first
        time at their publishers office in NY if I remember the story correctly. I'm
        interested in what motivated and inspired DB to do some things that I previously
        ascribed to his just being a self motivated vagabond. I don't think it was
        always the case. There may have been more influences on him that we know. As a
        side note, there is another bio on Jack London that suggests he was homosexual
        or bi-sexual and he and his best buddy from Carmel, George Sterling were linked.
        That one threw me for a loop. I hadn't a clue. A-La-Don Blanding? Isn't
        research fun!!! tj

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
          Bev: Do you have Charmain's letters from 1920-1940? tj

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
            All of her letters are at the Huntington Library in San Moreno.

            I believe there are copies in Sonoma at the University.

            I took notes on the things I wanted to know about. Like Keith,

            I have not done much research in the past year.

            Bev.

            _____