Re: Valley of the Moon - Jack London

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 25, 2011
      This has made me wonder. I knew a man who was a buddy of Jack London's - Jack used to hitch up the wagon and pick up Mr. Ott in Petaluma and they would go carousing together. I wonder if Mr. Ott knew Don Blanding. I wonder how I could begin to find out.
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 25, 2011
        Is Mr. Ott still alive? If so, what city/town is he in? How old might he be?
        We have people in this group that are great slueths, like Keith Emmons. Keep
        emailing with us..tj

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 25, 2011
          Jack London certainly was well known when Don Blanding was a school boy, so it is very likely that he read his books.

          London died in November 1916, just a month or so before DB arrived in Honolulu. The newspapers often mentioned London and his wife, particularly in regard to the lifesize bust that was commissioned to honor his memory.

          I think DB may have met Charmian long before 1935; he met Armine in 1928, and both DB and Charmian were in Honolulu in earlier years.

          TJ, I have a number of Honolulu Star-Bulletin or Advertiser clips about the Londons. Give me a few days to round them up and perhaps I can provide more information about any connection to DB.

          Bev, did I include the London clips when I sent you material about Armine?

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 25, 2011
            Cadia,

            I have most of the articles about their visit to the island that pertain
            to the vT's and have read most of what was written about them looking for
            the vT's.

            Mahalo for all you have done for my project.

            Bev.

            _____

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
              Glad to have sparked a new interest. There is a book I saw several years ago
              when I was researching at the Carmel Historical Library. I've forgotten the
              actual title but I think I can locate it again. The title of the book might
              have been Carmel's Bohemian Poets, or some derivative of that name. I browsed
              it but didn't get a chance to read it and now I wish I had. I'll track it down.
              It mentioned and discussed some of the writers I mentioned (Stoddard, Sterling,
              London and others). One interesting fact I remembered was how the 1906
              earthquake unsettled this same group of writers and they had to move to Carmel
              because their SF building was destroyed in the quake. I would be interested in
              reading Charmain's letters from the 1930's. I think DB met Armine for the first
              time at their publishers office in NY if I remember the story correctly. I'm
              interested in what motivated and inspired DB to do some things that I previously
              ascribed to his just being a self motivated vagabond. I don't think it was
              always the case. There may have been more influences on him that we know. As a
              side note, there is another bio on Jack London that suggests he was homosexual
              or bi-sexual and he and his best buddy from Carmel, George Sterling were linked.
              That one threw me for a loop. I hadn't a clue. A-La-Don Blanding? Isn't
              research fun!!! tj

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
                Bev: Do you have Charmain's letters from 1920-1940? tj

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
                  All of her letters are at the Huntington Library in San Moreno.

                  I believe there are copies in Sonoma at the University.

                  I took notes on the things I wanted to know about. Like Keith,

                  I have not done much research in the past year.

                  Bev.

                  _____