Valley of the Moon - Jack London

  • tjmarkle2005
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 24, 2011
      I've been reading classics again and I just finished a biography on Jack London. Some thoughts raced through my mind that I thought I'd bounce off the group. It might be pure fantasy but maybe fun to think about. My thoughts are:

      Jack London's hay day was during Don's early teen development. Did Don read Jack London or be influenced by Jack's vagabond writer charisma? I've not come across anything in writing by Don or anyone else that suggests this but I'd be surprised if Don didn't know of Jack London and his exploits.

      Don's mother gave him travel books by Stoddard to read before his teen years. The Stoddard travel books, so it was said, influenced Don and may have given Don the Centaur image that he carried with him the rest of his life. The Stoddard travel books also opened up the world to Don and showed him that Lawton was not the only place on earth. Later on Stoddard was part of a Bohemian writers group that resided in Carmel in the early 1900's. Jack London was part of this group and he was friends with George Sterling a prominent writer in Carmel who was a part of the Bohemian Carmel group. Stoddard, London and a few others were prominent Bohemian writers bouncing in and out of Carmel, San Francisco and Jack's home in Glenn Ellen. This was before Don ever left Lawton. These great writers set the stage for future Carmel writers and artists like Don.

      In January 1916, Jack London with Charmain went to Hawaii on a trip to help heal him of various afflictions. It was Dec. 1916 that Don arrived in Hawaii. I know the story of the Hawaiian play he saw in Kansas. Might Don have known about Jack London going to Hawaii
      in 1916 the same year Don went and the rest of the story of Don is known. Jack also spent time with the Temsky's in Hawaii. Don later had a friendship with Armine Von Temsky who also used Don's home in Carmel. Coincidence?

      I'm sure that Jack's trips were known to the public as he was such a popular figure of the day. Might that have influenced Don to go to Hawaii as well as the play? Don the future vagabond imitating the the current and most famous vagabond, Jack London?

      It was around 1935 that Don left Taos and camped his way with Scotty to Carmel where he located himself for some time. In between Taos and Carmel came a short stay with Charmain London in Jack's old digs. How did he know to stop there? I've seen nothing in Don's writing that really describes this stop over with Charmain or any advance letters, communications, etc. Was his choice of Carmel influenced by this group of Bohemian writers long since gone?

      Obviously this is all curious speculation but there are certain ties with Stoddard/London/Temsky's that are curious and might require extra digging. Again, I've read nothing that connects any of this together and it may be pure fantasy. But, what fun to think about.

      With that I close my first post on this site for 2011.

      tj
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 24, 2011
        Aloha,

        According to Charmian London's diary, she me Don Blanding on Jan. 30, 1935
        at a Hollywood Canon dinner with Armine & Al while she was visiting them.

        I got the feeling that she knew of him before she met him.

        Bev.

        _____

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 24, 2011
          Where did you get access to Charmain's dairy? And, do you know if the meeting
          was chance or pre-arranged? What is a Canon dinner?

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 24, 2011
            I Was a reader at the Huntington Library for many year, reading Charmian's
            diaries to learn more about Armine and Charmian's friendship.

            Sorry it was at a Hollywood Cannon dinner. May have been at Harold Bell
            Wright's sons place in the Cannon.she didn't say or we could not decipher
            her writing.

            Bev.

            _____

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 24, 2011
              I never heard of the Cannon, or a Cannon. Could it be possible the word was meant to be "Canyon"? Lots of canyons in Hollywood in which the literati squatted. Karen Cotter

              (who lives on the north side of one of them thar hills/canyons).

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 24, 2011
                You are right. I must re-read what I write before I send it.

                Bev.

                _____

                I never heard of the Cannon, or a Cannon. Could it be possible the word was
                meant to be "Canyon"? Lots of canyons in Hollywood in which the literati
                squatted. Karen Cotter

                (who lives on the north side of one of them thar hills/canyons).

                <mailto:aloha-donblanding%40yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: RE: [aloha-donblanding] Valley of the Moon - Jack London
                >
                >I Was a reader at the Huntington Library for many year, reading Charmian's
                >diaries to learn more about Armine and Charmian's friendship.
                >

                >Sorry it was at a Hollywood Cannon dinner. May have been at Harold Bell
                >Wright's sons place in the Cannon.she didn't say or we could not decipher
                >her writing.
                >

                >Bev.
                >
                > _____
                >
                >From: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:aloha-donblanding%40yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: Re: [aloha-donblanding] Valley of the Moon - Jack London
                >

                >Where did you get access to Charmain's dairy? And, do you know if the
                >meeting
                >was chance or pre-arranged? What is a Canon dinner?
                >
                >________________________________
                >From: Bev Leinbach <bevbach@... <mailto:bevbach%40pacbell.net>
                <mailto:bevbach%40pacbell.net> >

              • Christine
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 25, 2011
                  This has made me wonder. I knew a man who was a buddy of Jack London's - Jack used to hitch up the wagon and pick up Mr. Ott in Petaluma and they would go carousing together. I wonder if Mr. Ott knew Don Blanding. I wonder how I could begin to find out.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 25, 2011
                    Is Mr. Ott still alive? If so, what city/town is he in? How old might he be?
                    We have people in this group that are great slueths, like Keith Emmons. Keep
                    emailing with us..tj

                    ________________________________
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 25, 2011
                      Jack London certainly was well known when Don Blanding was a school boy, so it is very likely that he read his books.

                      London died in November 1916, just a month or so before DB arrived in Honolulu. The newspapers often mentioned London and his wife, particularly in regard to the lifesize bust that was commissioned to honor his memory.

                      I think DB may have met Charmian long before 1935; he met Armine in 1928, and both DB and Charmian were in Honolulu in earlier years.

                      TJ, I have a number of Honolulu Star-Bulletin or Advertiser clips about the Londons. Give me a few days to round them up and perhaps I can provide more information about any connection to DB.

                      Bev, did I include the London clips when I sent you material about Armine?

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 25, 2011
                        Cadia,

                        I have most of the articles about their visit to the island that pertain
                        to the vT's and have read most of what was written about them looking for
                        the vT's.

                        Mahalo for all you have done for my project.

                        Bev.

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
                          Glad to have sparked a new interest. There is a book I saw several years ago
                          when I was researching at the Carmel Historical Library. I've forgotten the
                          actual title but I think I can locate it again. The title of the book might
                          have been Carmel's Bohemian Poets, or some derivative of that name. I browsed
                          it but didn't get a chance to read it and now I wish I had. I'll track it down.
                          It mentioned and discussed some of the writers I mentioned (Stoddard, Sterling,
                          London and others). One interesting fact I remembered was how the 1906
                          earthquake unsettled this same group of writers and they had to move to Carmel
                          because their SF building was destroyed in the quake. I would be interested in
                          reading Charmain's letters from the 1930's. I think DB met Armine for the first
                          time at their publishers office in NY if I remember the story correctly. I'm
                          interested in what motivated and inspired DB to do some things that I previously
                          ascribed to his just being a self motivated vagabond. I don't think it was
                          always the case. There may have been more influences on him that we know. As a
                          side note, there is another bio on Jack London that suggests he was homosexual
                          or bi-sexual and he and his best buddy from Carmel, George Sterling were linked.
                          That one threw me for a loop. I hadn't a clue. A-La-Don Blanding? Isn't
                          research fun!!! tj

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
                            Bev: Do you have Charmain's letters from 1920-1940? tj

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
                              All of her letters are at the Huntington Library in San Moreno.

                              I believe there are copies in Sonoma at the University.

                              I took notes on the things I wanted to know about. Like Keith,

                              I have not done much research in the past year.

                              Bev.

                              _____