Starting our 12th year!

  • Cadia
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2011
      Today, January 8, 2011, marks the 11th anniversary of the Aloha, Don Blanding Collectors Society, originally an e-groups mailing list and later a full-fledged website on Yahoo.

      As we begin our 12th year, we are still discovering new and interesting details about Blanding's life, artwork and writing. Thanks to all who have contributed and offered encouragement!

      Last spring I ventured onto Facebook and Twitter, which has become an interesting means of learning more about many of the group members. If you have not yet joined us on Facebook, I hope you'll drop by. There's even an Aloha Don Blanding Collectors Society page where I have started to post DB illustrations that can be printed or downloaded as screen-savers.

      On eBay at the moment is a 1966 recording (LP) by Dave Ballard that includes Vagabond's House and The Cruise of the Spun Glass Ship. I already own 2 copies, including the well-worn copy that Dave sent me back in 1966, so this one's up for grabs:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/DAVE-BALLARD-Reflections-LP-NM-Vinyl-/270557437615?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3efe7adeaf

      If the link breaks, just search for the item number 270557437615. It's a BIN, so first come, first served.

      Stacked near my computer are another 600 pages or so of Blanding research material that I've gleaned in the past 6 months. Thought I might work on indexing this weekend, but too excited about the Seahawks-Saints game today and Makana's concert tomorrow. So organizing this mass of paper is on my calendar for next week!

      I have several Blanding-related projects in mind for 2011; not sure exactly what form they will take.

      Happy New Year to everyone!

      ~~Cadia
    • Karen Cotter
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2011
        Hello Cadia -

        Congratulations to you who have kept the lamp burning...and of course tj and others who have added oil frequently. I've been MIA as three years ago I began a geneology of my own family on the maternal side which goes back 5 generations (counting from me) and from a tiny child I'd heard stories (some, true some not, as it turns out) from the arrival in CA of my great great grandfather in Sacramento at the beginning of the Gold Rush.

        Since I'm now 73 and at the point when I started, the only famly member extant who had any interest whatsoever and also the only one left who'd heard stories from my grandmother and great aunts. Also photos, etc.

        It's been a wonderful ride and finally I stirred the interest of a son of a second cousin I found, a Mormon fellow, living in Provo who supplied more written documentation in one month than I had dug up in the previous two years! His coordinated with mine and I hope, by the end of this year, combining my photos and some original notes to have a booklet put together for those relatives who want it.

        The Shasta Historical Society as well as the Sacramento ditto have expressed interest in it.

        This is not a commercial venture, just fun for me and of interest perhaps to those who are interested in them thar days!

        But I still keep an eye on the Blanding site and tj e-mails me a couple of times a year. I haven't heard much personally from Keith but I'm sure he's still on the path.

        Cheerio! Karen Cotter Valley Village CA

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2011
          It's Dave Ballard that got me interested in DB. I have his work on a audio
          tape my Mom found down on Westlake. I now own the LP and hope to have
          someone put it on a CD so I can listen to it while I drive as I use to
          listen to Dave on the radio in Seattle.

          Mahalo Cadia,

          Bev.

          _____

[...]

          usic_on_Vinyl&hash=item3efe7adeaf> &hash=item3efe7adeaf

          If the link breaks, just search for the item number 270557437615. It's a
          BIN, so first come, first served.

          Stacked near my computer are another 600 pages or so of Blanding research
          material that I've gleaned in the past 6 months. Thought I might work on
          indexing this weekend, but too excited about the Seahawks-Saints game today
          and Makana's concert tomorrow. So organizing this mass of paper is on my
          calendar for next week!

          I have several Blanding-related projects in mind for 2011; not sure exactly
          what form they will take.

          Happy New Year to everyone!

        • Keith
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 9, 2011
            Congrats Cadia on 12 years of providing us with this forum to discuss and research Blanding...you've run a tight ship!

            Also congrats on your Seattle Seahawks...an upset victory for the ages!

            Happy New Year everyone!!!

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 9, 2011
              I'm celebrating the 12th year in Cabo this week.  It's 77 degrees and the
              cervesa's are cold and good.  Happy New Year to all Blanding nuts and especially
              to Cadia for hosting this site for us.  I'll be in Cabo until next Thursday and
              then back to the Magalia snow and rain.  tj