Copies of DB sheet music -- anyone?

  • Cadia
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 30, 2010
      I had a wonderful time in Honolulu . . . enjoyed meeting Donna and Jackie . . . drenched myself in Hawaiian music and hula . . . toured the beautifully restored Hawai'i Theatre that DB would have known so well.

      Now comes the good part. One of my favorite slack key guitarists, Cyril Pahinui, has expressed interest in performing and possibly recording hapa haole songs. I have provided lists of some of the music written by Alex Anderson, Edwin Sawtelle and others (some with lyrics by Don Blanding), with a view toward including some of this music from the 1920s and later.

      What I would like now is photocopies of DB-related sheet music that I can give to Cyril when he is in Seattle on September 12. (What musician can look over actual sheet music and resist picking up a guitar?) The songs from Tropic Topics, Dream Girls and Hula Moon would be ideal, but any other early work by Anderson or Sawtelle is fine. Music by their contemporaries, John K. Almeida, Johnny Noble, Charles E. King, etc., is well represented in Hawaiian musicians' repertoires. I would like to see examples by Anderson and Sawtelle, preferably with DB lyrics, added to the mix.

      No promises, of course. Perhaps the DB-related music is not suitable for what Cyril has in mind. But here's an opportunity to get the ear of one of Hawaii's legendary musicians, and perhaps those of other Hawaiian artists as well.

      Cyril has also hinted to me that a program of vintage hapa haole music at the Hawai'i Theatre might be an interesting project. How perfect a setting!

      So, who has material to share? Sharp, clean photocopies are all I need, perhaps a half dozen pieces to tempt Cyril into strumming a few chords.

      Mahalo!

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 30, 2010
        I have a few pieces, some I copied from Allen Sawtelle's collection and a few
        others. Give me private email with a mailing address and I'll geterdone quickly
        for you. Great work on your part! tj

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 30, 2010
          Keith is da man for this request. they do have at UH as I had them
          photographed before.

          I have a question though. Did DB collaborate with Johnny Noble on "Among
          My Hawaiian Souvenirs"
          It is very Don Blanding-esque.
          I am working on a new website for the Old Wailuku Inn and I am planning on
          linking to U Tube I believe Keith Posted it; with him on the Steamer
          explaining the meaning of the lei.
          Also message to Keith is their light at the end of the tunnel on the DB
          Book?

          aloha
          Maui Tom

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 30, 2010
            Among My Hawaiian Souvenirs - by John Noble
            A photograph, a calabash, a paper lei
            Are my Hawaiian souvenirs
            Each token brings back memories
            All thru the day
            And may they last for many years

            When I am old and gray
            I`ll have the pleasure to say to you

            duchess@... writes:

[...]

          • Kenneth Klein
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 30, 2010
              Hi,

              I have five pieces of sheet music, with words by Don Blanding:

              1. "Last Night: a song of Waikiki" Words by Don Blanding, music by Connie Bemis
              2. "Waikiki Night" Words by Don Blanding, music by Connie Bemis
              3. "The Elephant Song" Words by Don Blanding, music by Connie Bemis
              4. "Redwood Forest" Words by Don Blanding, music by Ada Virginia Hull. (From "Mostly California")
              5. "I Stand in the Presence of Mountains" (first line) Words by Don Blanding, signed "To Don Blanding, Jerry Becker."

              I would be glad to scan these and send them as pdf's

              Ken Klein

            • mauibandb@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 30, 2010
                TJ
                If you are making copies can you make some of the Hawaiian ones for me. I
                would like to make a book for our Piano at the Inn.
                Send my Aloha to Janice
                aloha
                Maui Tom

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 30, 2010
                  Will do, Mr. Maui...tj

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 30, 2010
                    Hope all is well with you.

                    In a message dated 8/30/2010 12:29:18 P.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
                    tjmarkle@... writes:

                    Will do, Mr. Maui...tj

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
                      Hi Cadia,
                      It was great meeting you and enjoying all the music at the Waimanalo
                      Kanikapila and the Outrigger Reef. I'm glad you had a good time and got to
                      do the things you wanted to do. Good luck with Cyril P. and the sheet
                      music. Aloha, Donna Wendt

                    • Keith
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 10, 2010
                        Hi Cadia,

                        Sorry for the very late reply. I don't have much DB sheet music...only some copies of music Tom gave me awhile back.

                        I was poking around in copyright entries again in the wee hours this morning and found three more early songs by Don. I listed four songs a few months ago, but these ones I've never seen before.

                        "You Are the World To Me" words by Don Blanding, music by Henry Volt, May 5, 1919

                        "The Echo of Love's Lullaby" Words by Don Blanding, music by Henry Volt, arranged by Earl Blankenhorn, March 7, 1921, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

                        "Oongoloo" Words by Don Blanding, music by Henry Volt, arranged by Earl Blankenhorn, March 7, 1921, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

                        These songs were written during Don's Rockford, Illinois days and may be from musicals put on by the Rockford Art Guild. I'm curious who Henry Volt and Earl Blankenhorn are...has anyone heard the names before? I may have to look up the Rockford College yearbook again.

                        Keith

                      • mauibandb@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 11, 2010
                          Not a clue.