Re: [aloha-donblanding] Hawaii, here I come!

  • mauibandb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2010
      You should look up Dakota Brown at the Bishop Museum. He took a tour with
      DB's Hawaii Travellog and I think there was an old Movie Hawaiian Wedding.
      He was touring with the woman who performed in it. This was in 1990 I
      think. If he hasn't retired he would be a very important person to visit.
      In Kapahulu a stone throw from where you are staying there used to be a
      theater where they played all the old movies. And the proprietor had a lot of
      these old films from DB's time.
      Others you should contact:

      Ron Jacobs Big BIg Fan of DB and had at one time a collection of all his
      DB's Columns _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Jacobs_(broadcaster_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Jacobs_(broadcaster) )
      I lost contact with Jacobs since I left Wailea. He & Dakota will know
      where to find everything your heart desires.

      Harry B Soria Territorial Airways _harryb105@..._
      (mailto:harryb105@...) for da music

      They both are on Oahu.

      Sadly I will be on Maui where I reside. If you should so choose to visit
      our inn dedicated to DB let me know.

      Green are the hills behind my house

      Deep and cool is the broad Lanai
      A place to sit as the days go by
      With a drink or a book in a
      georgeous sprawl
      For talk or sleep or nothing at all

      ...Ulupono... is a quaint old place

      ...Big cool rooms and lots of space
      For the stray trade winds to blow and roam

      It's more than a house it's a real true home
      In Hawaiian style

      When you're drifting by, just stop and chat
      There's a bowl of poi and a hula mat,
      The door's wide open., and when you care
      To say "Hello" there's Aloha there.

      Aloha Maui Tom

      In a message dated 8/1/2010 7:52:28 P.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
      duchess@... writes:

      Aloha, all ...

      As many of you know via Facebook and Twitter, I am making my first trip to
      Hawaii, leaving on Tuesday afternoon 8/3 and returning on 8/19.

      My HQ will be the Hokele Suites in Waikiki, within a stone's throw of the
      Ala Wai canal and quite near where DB lived in the early 1950s. The hotel
      is about 7 blocks from the beach and from my "home away from home" most
      evenings, the Kanikapila Grille at the Outrigger Reef. Here, each night of
      the week features a different music group. I'm looking forward to hearing
      each one at least once, some twice and, of course, my favorite slack key
      guitarist, Cyril Pahinui, on 3 Wednesday evenings.

      On Saturday 8/7, I'll be at the Gabby Pahinui Waimanalo Kanikapila, where
      about 100 musicians will be performing -- probably one of the largest jam
      sessions in the world!

      On Sunday 8/8, I'll attend the Royal Hawaiian Band concert at Kapiolani
      Park, stop in at Duke's for more music and cap off the day with guitarist
      Jeff Peterson at the Grille.

      On Sunday 8/15, I'll be at the slack key festival in Kapiolani Park,
      thence ot hear Jeff again.

      In between, I plan to walk as much of Waikiki and downtown Honolulu as I
      can, seeking the spots where DB either worked or lived between 1916 and
      1955.

      I am also planning to visit the Bishop Museum to see the surfing exhibit,
      the Royal Hawaiian Hotel to see the Amelia Earhart photos and the Waikiki
      Aquarium to see the fishes. Of course, I will tour the USS Arizona
      memorial, Iolani Palace and the restored Hawaii Theatre and take in at least one
      bon odori festival. I'll spend at least one day riding the bus scross the
      mountains and up the Windward coast to Kahuku -- mostly just to enjoy the
      scenery and ocean air. And I'm hoping to take a sunset cruise off Waikiki.

      I do expect to spend some time reading microfilm at the Hawaii State
      Library and/or UH-Manoa and getting a better idea of what their collections
      might hold regarding DB. I may also stop in at the Star-Advertiser to find out
      what photo archives are accessible and perhaps to pitch a couple of
      article ideas.

      So, if you are on Oahu and would like to get together, please let me know
      via e-mail or leave a message at the hotel. Michael P. has already been in
      touch with me, but I know there are several others in or near Honolulu.
      Wouldn't it be great to get a bunch together for a DB gabfest? Of course,
      I'd also love to share the music events, too!
      I won't be carrying a laptop or cell phone, but there are 2 internet cafes
      within a few blocks of my hotel where I'll check e-mail at least every
      other day and my suite has voice mail.

      Looking forward to this trip and hope to see all of you who are on Oahu
      while I'm there.

    • Keith
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
        Have a great trip Cadia...I'm jealous, for sure.

        Keith
      • Keith
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
          Actually Tom, it's Desoto Brown, and I believe he still does work at the Bishop.

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
            How exciting and full of activity. Have a blast and let us all know what
            you did and what you find.

            Bev.

            _____

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
              Thanks Keith
              I knew I had it wrong but it was close enough.

              In a message dated 8/2/2010 3:05:10 A.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
              keith2draw@... writes:

              Actually Tom, it's Desoto Brown, and I believe he still does work at the
              Bishop.

            • Jackie Collins
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
                Cadia ~
                Do call me when you're in town. I would love to hook up with you.

                Aloha, Jackie Collins-Buck
                Honolulu 808-224-4285

                email: JackieCollins-Buck@...

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
                  Jackie
                  You were the best bloody Mary in the MCT Production of South Pacific a few
                  weeks ago. Thanks for sharing your talent.

                  aloha
                  Maui Tom

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
                    Hi Tom ~ I think you're confusing me with Kathy Collins over there on Maui.

                    Aloha, Jackie Collins-Buck
                    Honolulu 808-224-4285

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
                        Hi Tom, Yes ~ Mike is my husband.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
                          Great love his show. Send him my aloha. I grew up in Aina Haina about a
                          block away from him but a few years younger.

                          aloha
                          Tom Fairbanks

                          In a message dated 8/2/2010 11:21:22 A.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
                          jackiecollins@... writes:

                          Hi Tom, Yes ~ Mike is my husband.