Hawaii, here I come!

  • Cadia
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2010
      Aloha, all ...

      As many of you know via Facebook and Twitter, I am making my first trip to Hawaii, leaving on Tuesday afternoon 8/3 and returning on 8/19.

      My HQ will be the Hokele Suites in Waikiki, within a stone's throw of the Ala Wai canal and quite near where DB lived in the early 1950s. The hotel is about 7 blocks from the beach and from my "home away from home" most evenings, the Kanikapila Grille at the Outrigger Reef. Here, each night of the week features a different music group. I'm looking forward to hearing each one at least once, some twice and, of course, my favorite slack key guitarist, Cyril Pahinui, on 3 Wednesday evenings.

      On Saturday 8/7, I'll be at the Gabby Pahinui Waimanalo Kanikapila, where about 100 musicians will be performing -- probably one of the largest jam sessions in the world!

      On Sunday 8/8, I'll attend the Royal Hawaiian Band concert at Kapiolani Park, stop in at Duke's for more music and cap off the day with guitarist Jeff Peterson at the Grille.

      On Sunday 8/15, I'll be at the slack key festival in Kapiolani Park, thence ot hear Jeff again.

      In between, I plan to walk as much of Waikiki and downtown Honolulu as I can, seeking the spots where DB either worked or lived between 1916 and 1955.

      I am also planning to visit the Bishop Museum to see the surfing exhibit, the Royal Hawaiian Hotel to see the Amelia Earhart photos and the Waikiki Aquarium to see the fishes. Of course, I will tour the USS Arizona memorial, Iolani Palace and the restored Hawaii Theatre and take in at least one bon odori festival. I'll spend at least one day riding the bus scross the mountains and up the Windward coast to Kahuku -- mostly just to enjoy the scenery and ocean air. And I'm hoping to take a sunset cruise off Waikiki.

      I do expect to spend some time reading microfilm at the Hawaii State Library and/or UH-Manoa and getting a better idea of what their collections might hold regarding DB. I may also stop in at the Star-Advertiser to find out what photo archives are accessible and perhaps to pitch a couple of article ideas.

      So, if you are on Oahu and would like to get together, please let me know via e-mail or leave a message at the hotel. Michael P. has already been in touch with me, but I know there are several others in or near Honolulu. Wouldn't it be great to get a bunch together for a DB gabfest? Of course, I'd also love to share the music events, too!
      I won't be carrying a laptop or cell phone, but there are 2 internet cafes within a few blocks of my hotel where I'll check e-mail at least every other day and my suite has voice mail.

      Looking forward to this trip and hope to see all of you who are on Oahu while I'm there.

      ~~Cadia
    • mauibandb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2010
        You should look up Dakota Brown at the Bishop Museum. He took a tour with
        DB's Hawaii Travellog and I think there was an old Movie Hawaiian Wedding.
        He was touring with the woman who performed in it. This was in 1990 I
        think. If he hasn't retired he would be a very important person to visit.
        In Kapahulu a stone throw from where you are staying there used to be a
        theater where they played all the old movies. And the proprietor had a lot of
        these old films from DB's time.
        Others you should contact:

        Ron Jacobs Big BIg Fan of DB and had at one time a collection of all his
        DB's Columns _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Jacobs_(broadcaster_
        (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Jacobs_(broadcaster) )
        I lost contact with Jacobs since I left Wailea. He & Dakota will know
        where to find everything your heart desires.

        Harry B Soria Territorial Airways _harryb105@..._
        (mailto:harryb105@...) for da music

        They both are on Oahu.

        Sadly I will be on Maui where I reside. If you should so choose to visit
        our inn dedicated to DB let me know.

        Green are the hills behind my house

        Deep and cool is the broad Lanai
        A place to sit as the days go by
        With a drink or a book in a
        georgeous sprawl
        For talk or sleep or nothing at all

        ...Ulupono... is a quaint old place

        ...Big cool rooms and lots of space
        For the stray trade winds to blow and roam

        It's more than a house it's a real true home
        In Hawaiian style

        When you're drifting by, just stop and chat
        There's a bowl of poi and a hula mat,
        The door's wide open., and when you care
        To say "Hello" there's Aloha there.

        Aloha Maui Tom

      • Keith
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
          Have a great trip Cadia...I'm jealous, for sure.

          Keith
        • Keith
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
            Actually Tom, it's Desoto Brown, and I believe he still does work at the Bishop.

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
              How exciting and full of activity. Have a blast and let us all know what
              you did and what you find.

              Bev.

              _____

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
                Thanks Keith
                I knew I had it wrong but it was close enough.

                In a message dated 8/2/2010 3:05:10 A.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
                keith2draw@... writes:

                Actually Tom, it's Desoto Brown, and I believe he still does work at the
                Bishop.

              • Jackie Collins
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
                  Cadia ~
                  Do call me when you're in town. I would love to hook up with you.

                  Aloha, Jackie Collins-Buck
                  Honolulu 808-224-4285

                  email: JackieCollins-Buck@...

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
                    Jackie
                    You were the best bloody Mary in the MCT Production of South Pacific a few
                    weeks ago. Thanks for sharing your talent.

                    aloha
                    Maui Tom

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
                      Hi Tom ~ I think you're confusing me with Kathy Collins over there on Maui.

                      Aloha, Jackie Collins-Buck
                      Honolulu 808-224-4285

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
                          Hi Tom, Yes ~ Mike is my husband.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
                            Great love his show. Send him my aloha. I grew up in Aina Haina about a
                            block away from him but a few years younger.

                            aloha
                            Tom Fairbanks

                            In a message dated 8/2/2010 11:21:22 A.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
                            jackiecollins@... writes:

                            Hi Tom, Yes ~ Mike is my husband.