Re: [aloha-donblanding] Sad day today in Honolulu

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 8, 2010
      I believe those artifacts are controlled by the Marriott Hotel chain. They are in storage at the present time. I've been staying in touch with a person who assures me they still have them. I've been concerned about them for some time and have tried to unlock the door to them without success. I asked if they had them in a controlled safe area as the humidity could damage them. I was told they were not going to sell or release any of it as they might use them at a later date within the hotel chain itself. That's all I know at this time. My last email conversation was about 6 months ago....tj

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 8, 2010
        Thanks Tom! I am glad that you are tracking them. I would hate to see
        them get lost or thrown away by someone not aware of Don Blanding. It
        would be nice to see them put in a permanent home of some kind where
        they could be displayed and we would know they are being well maintained.
        Al Dayton
        On 6/8/10 6:45 PM, THOMAS MARKLE wrote:

        > I believe those artifacts are controlled by the Marriott Hotel chain.
        > They are in storage at the present time. I've been staying in touch
        > with a person who assures me they still have them. I've been concerned
        > about them for some time and have tried to unlock the door to them
        > without success. I asked if they had them in a controlled safe area as
        > the humidity could damage them. I was told they were not going to sell
        > or release any of it as they might use them at a later date within the
        > hotel chain itself. That's all I know at this time. My last email
        > conversation was about 6 months ago....tj
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Jake Williams
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 9, 2010
          I remember the Advertiser fondly. I worked there for a short time in the
          1970s and it was the best paper I ever worked at.
          That was still when it was an independent owned by tghe Twigg-Smith family.
          Sadly it was sold not so long after I left and
          eventually wound up falling victim to the changing newspaper world.

          I would think that the archives are still around, but access might or
          might no be
          easy to obtain. It may be that the library in Honolulu microfilm or
          microfische
          that can be viewed, but it might take a trip there to do that.

        • mauibandb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 9, 2010
            Since I am a personal friend of the General manager and helped acquire a
            lot of the artifacts, (when developing the original Hula Moons Concept). I
            will ask about them. I was wondering if the Don Blanding Group had
            anything in mind for these things before I ask. If we have a purpose it might be
            compelling enough for them to let them go for good reason.
            I believe the Hula Moons Restaurant referred to is the same location, I do
            not know if they still have the artifacts on display.

            aloha
            Tom Fairbanks

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
              Thanks Tom, local influence is helpful. tj