Re: [aloha-donblanding] Sad day today in Honolulu

  • Allen Dayton
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 8, 2010
      I also wonder what happened to all the Don Blanding artifacts that were
      at the hotel in Wailea Maui. I think it was the Intercontinental but I
      am not sure. They had a "Hula Moons" restaurant with a lot of Don's
      artifacts and the hotel even had a curator. I stopped in and visited
      the curator about a dozen years ago and I remember him showing me
      material that was not on display in the restaurant. I see on the web,
      there is a Hula Moons restaurant at the Marriott. It might be the same
      hotel. Does anyone know and has anyone been there recently?
      Al Dayton

    • Cadia
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 8, 2010
        It would help to provide a link:

        This article from May 12 via KITV.com explains the process and provides some assurance that the new Star-Advertiser will remain viable and become even stronger than the two separate entities.

        http://www.kitv.com/news/23536804/detail.html

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 8, 2010
          I believe those artifacts are controlled by the Marriott Hotel chain. They are in storage at the present time. I've been staying in touch with a person who assures me they still have them. I've been concerned about them for some time and have tried to unlock the door to them without success. I asked if they had them in a controlled safe area as the humidity could damage them. I was told they were not going to sell or release any of it as they might use them at a later date within the hotel chain itself. That's all I know at this time. My last email conversation was about 6 months ago....tj

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 8, 2010
            Thanks Tom! I am glad that you are tracking them. I would hate to see
            them get lost or thrown away by someone not aware of Don Blanding. It
            would be nice to see them put in a permanent home of some kind where
            they could be displayed and we would know they are being well maintained.
            Al Dayton
            On 6/8/10 6:45 PM, THOMAS MARKLE wrote:

            > I believe those artifacts are controlled by the Marriott Hotel chain.
            > They are in storage at the present time. I've been staying in touch
            > with a person who assures me they still have them. I've been concerned
            > about them for some time and have tried to unlock the door to them
            > without success. I asked if they had them in a controlled safe area as
            > the humidity could damage them. I was told they were not going to sell
            > or release any of it as they might use them at a later date within the
            > hotel chain itself. That's all I know at this time. My last email
            > conversation was about 6 months ago....tj
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Jake Williams
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 9, 2010
              I remember the Advertiser fondly. I worked there for a short time in the
              1970s and it was the best paper I ever worked at.
              That was still when it was an independent owned by tghe Twigg-Smith family.
              Sadly it was sold not so long after I left and
              eventually wound up falling victim to the changing newspaper world.

              I would think that the archives are still around, but access might or
              might no be
              easy to obtain. It may be that the library in Honolulu microfilm or
              microfische
              that can be viewed, but it might take a trip there to do that.

            • mauibandb@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 9, 2010
                Since I am a personal friend of the General manager and helped acquire a
                lot of the artifacts, (when developing the original Hula Moons Concept). I
                will ask about them. I was wondering if the Don Blanding Group had
                anything in mind for these things before I ask. If we have a purpose it might be
                compelling enough for them to let them go for good reason.
                I believe the Hula Moons Restaurant referred to is the same location, I do
                not know if they still have the artifacts on display.

                aloha
                Tom Fairbanks

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
                  Thanks Tom, local influence is helpful. tj