Re: Sad day today in Honolulu

  • Cadia
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 8 3:15 PM
      I have to agree that it's a sad day, indeed, when only a single newspaper survives in a major city. In Seattle earlier this year, the Post-Intelligencer went web-only with a small staff, leaving The Seattle Times as the only street-vended and delivered option.

      In Honolulu, the situation is different. This is a merger although, oddly enough, it is the newspaper with the much smaller circulation that holds the upper hand.

      This article from May 12 via KITV.com explains the process and provides some assurance that the new Star-Advertiser will remain viable and become even stronger than the two separate entities.

      As for the photo and other archives of the Advertiser, they aren't going anywhere except to a new home and should be as accessible as they have ever been. How much of the historical material has been digitized, I do not know. Frankly, knowing newspapers as I do, I would be surprised to find anything in the photo library older than 30 or 40 years, maybe less, although the Advertiser did publish a 1953 photo of DB within the past 5 years or so.

      In any case, if anyone's digging for old photos, may I put in a request for those from DB's lavish productions of the 1920s as well as "A Night to Remember" from February 1940?

      ~~Cadia
    • Jackie Collins
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 8 3:15 PM
        Yes, Michael, it must be an especially wistful occasion to say goodbye
        to the Honolulu Advertiser for you.

        (Michael's great great grandfather, Lorrin A. Thurston, was it's original publisher ~ am I right, Michael?).

        Aloha, Jackie
        Jackie Collins-Buck
        Honolulu

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 8 3:16 PM
          I also wonder what happened to all the Don Blanding artifacts that were
          at the hotel in Wailea Maui. I think it was the Intercontinental but I
          am not sure. They had a "Hula Moons" restaurant with a lot of Don's
          artifacts and the hotel even had a curator. I stopped in and visited
          the curator about a dozen years ago and I remember him showing me
          material that was not on display in the restaurant. I see on the web,
          there is a Hula Moons restaurant at the Marriott. It might be the same
          hotel. Does anyone know and has anyone been there recently?
          Al Dayton

        • Cadia
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 8 3:18 PM
            It would help to provide a link:

            http://www.kitv.com/news/23536804/detail.html

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 8 3:45 PM
              I believe those artifacts are controlled by the Marriott Hotel chain. They are in storage at the present time. I've been staying in touch with a person who assures me they still have them. I've been concerned about them for some time and have tried to unlock the door to them without success. I asked if they had them in a controlled safe area as the humidity could damage them. I was told they were not going to sell or release any of it as they might use them at a later date within the hotel chain itself. That's all I know at this time. My last email conversation was about 6 months ago....tj

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 8 4:02 PM
                Thanks Tom! I am glad that you are tracking them. I would hate to see
                them get lost or thrown away by someone not aware of Don Blanding. It
                would be nice to see them put in a permanent home of some kind where
                they could be displayed and we would know they are being well maintained.
                Al Dayton
                On 6/8/10 6:45 PM, THOMAS MARKLE wrote:

                > I believe those artifacts are controlled by the Marriott Hotel chain.
                > They are in storage at the present time. I've been staying in touch
                > with a person who assures me they still have them. I've been concerned
                > about them for some time and have tried to unlock the door to them
                > without success. I asked if they had them in a controlled safe area as
                > the humidity could damage them. I was told they were not going to sell
                > or release any of it as they might use them at a later date within the
                > hotel chain itself. That's all I know at this time. My last email
                > conversation was about 6 months ago....tj
                >
                > ________________________________

              • Jake Williams
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 9 9:19 AM
                  I remember the Advertiser fondly. I worked there for a short time in the
                  1970s and it was the best paper I ever worked at.
                  That was still when it was an independent owned by tghe Twigg-Smith family.
                  Sadly it was sold not so long after I left and
                  eventually wound up falling victim to the changing newspaper world.

                  I would think that the archives are still around, but access might or
                  might no be
                  easy to obtain. It may be that the library in Honolulu microfilm or
                  microfische
                  that can be viewed, but it might take a trip there to do that.

                • mauibandb@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 9 9:54 PM
                    Since I am a personal friend of the General manager and helped acquire a
                    lot of the artifacts, (when developing the original Hula Moons Concept). I
                    will ask about them. I was wondering if the Don Blanding Group had
                    anything in mind for these things before I ask. If we have a purpose it might be
                    compelling enough for them to let them go for good reason.
                    I believe the Hula Moons Restaurant referred to is the same location, I do
                    not know if they still have the artifacts on display.

                    aloha
                    Tom Fairbanks

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 10 12:38 PM
                      Thanks Tom, local influence is helpful. tj