Sad day today in Honolulu

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 5, 2010
      After 154 years, The Honolulu Advertiser's last day unfolds
      By Dan Nakaso
      Advertiser Staff Writer

      Food, memories and good wishes continued to pour into The Advertiser newsroom today as the staff prepared to put the state's largest newspaper "to bed" for the final time.

      Reporters, editors and photographers continued to dump notebooks, reports, books and business cards, uncovering desktops that had not been uncluttered in years.

      And former staffers straggled in to witness the end of The Advertiser after 154 years of publishing.

      Long-time readers continued to call into the newsroom, still unable to comprehend what was happening following the sale by The Advertiser's owner, Gannett Corp. Inc. to David Black, the owner of the rival Star-Bulletin.

      Black has hired 28 Advertiser journalists and will produce a new broadsheet newspaper starting Monday under the name Honolulu Star-Advertiser.

      But today, the mood in The Advertiser was more reflective as one of the last newspaper wars in America came to an end.

      As is typical of weekends at the paper, a skeleton crew is on duty today. They will cover today's news, post the last items on the website, write the final stories. Tonight, the presses in Kapolei will roll and tomorrow you'll read the result of all that labor — and love — the last Honolulu Advertiser.

      In a much-appreciated gesture, Star-Bulletin photographer Craig Kojima just stopped by the newsroom to wish us well.

      Staffers cleared out desks and storage areas, uncovering everything from typewriter ribbons from days gone way past to rubber stamps bearing the names of past staffers. Other newsroom employees downloaded phone lists from their work computers and just came by to share a story about their life at the newspaper. Computer technicians hauled away computers to the new office, leaving dust bunnies the size of Texas on desks. And Advertiser managing editor for digital media Sandee Oshiro worked tirelessly helping to pack up years of old photographs stored in the newspaper's library.

      ---------------------------------

      I wonder how many Blanding-related photos there are in that photographic library?

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 8, 2010
        How sad.

        I wonder where their archives are going. I had hoped to check them out.

        Bev.

        _____

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 8, 2010
          Bev ~

          I assume you mean the more historic archives. The recent online
          archives (back to 1999) can still be accessed:

          http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/current/help/backissues

          I'll try to determine the location of the historic records.

          Aloha, Jackie

          Jackie Collins-Buck
          Honolulu

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 8, 2010
            Mahalo,

            That would be great. I just hope they are not at the Bishop Museum. I
            hear that not easy to get around if you are not familiar.

            Bev.

            _____

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 8, 2010
              Actually, if they were at the Bishop Museum, then I would have
              a much easier time getting access there; however, I doubt it.

              I'll dig further and keep you posted.

              Aloha, Jackie
              Jackie Collins-Buck
              Honolulu

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 8, 2010
                Very sad indeed. My family owned the Advertiser for over a hundred
                years. Hard to believe it is all over.

                Aloha,

                Michael
              • Cadia
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 8, 2010
                  I have to agree that it's a sad day, indeed, when only a single newspaper survives in a major city. In Seattle earlier this year, the Post-Intelligencer went web-only with a small staff, leaving The Seattle Times as the only street-vended and delivered option.

                  In Honolulu, the situation is different. This is a merger although, oddly enough, it is the newspaper with the much smaller circulation that holds the upper hand.

                  This article from May 12 via KITV.com explains the process and provides some assurance that the new Star-Advertiser will remain viable and become even stronger than the two separate entities.

                  As for the photo and other archives of the Advertiser, they aren't going anywhere except to a new home and should be as accessible as they have ever been. How much of the historical material has been digitized, I do not know. Frankly, knowing newspapers as I do, I would be surprised to find anything in the photo library older than 30 or 40 years, maybe less, although the Advertiser did publish a 1953 photo of DB within the past 5 years or so.

                  In any case, if anyone's digging for old photos, may I put in a request for those from DB's lavish productions of the 1920s as well as "A Night to Remember" from February 1940?

                  ~~Cadia
                • Jackie Collins
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 8, 2010
                    Yes, Michael, it must be an especially wistful occasion to say goodbye
                    to the Honolulu Advertiser for you.

                    (Michael's great great grandfather, Lorrin A. Thurston, was it's original publisher ~ am I right, Michael?).

                    Aloha, Jackie
                    Jackie Collins-Buck
                    Honolulu

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 8, 2010
                      I also wonder what happened to all the Don Blanding artifacts that were
                      at the hotel in Wailea Maui. I think it was the Intercontinental but I
                      am not sure. They had a "Hula Moons" restaurant with a lot of Don's
                      artifacts and the hotel even had a curator. I stopped in and visited
                      the curator about a dozen years ago and I remember him showing me
                      material that was not on display in the restaurant. I see on the web,
                      there is a Hula Moons restaurant at the Marriott. It might be the same
                      hotel. Does anyone know and has anyone been there recently?
                      Al Dayton

                    • Cadia
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 8, 2010
                        It would help to provide a link:

                        http://www.kitv.com/news/23536804/detail.html

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 8, 2010
                          I believe those artifacts are controlled by the Marriott Hotel chain. They are in storage at the present time. I've been staying in touch with a person who assures me they still have them. I've been concerned about them for some time and have tried to unlock the door to them without success. I asked if they had them in a controlled safe area as the humidity could damage them. I was told they were not going to sell or release any of it as they might use them at a later date within the hotel chain itself. That's all I know at this time. My last email conversation was about 6 months ago....tj

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 8, 2010
                            Thanks Tom! I am glad that you are tracking them. I would hate to see
                            them get lost or thrown away by someone not aware of Don Blanding. It
                            would be nice to see them put in a permanent home of some kind where
                            they could be displayed and we would know they are being well maintained.
                            Al Dayton
                            On 6/8/10 6:45 PM, THOMAS MARKLE wrote:

                            > I believe those artifacts are controlled by the Marriott Hotel chain.
                            > They are in storage at the present time. I've been staying in touch
                            > with a person who assures me they still have them. I've been concerned
                            > about them for some time and have tried to unlock the door to them
                            > without success. I asked if they had them in a controlled safe area as
                            > the humidity could damage them. I was told they were not going to sell
                            > or release any of it as they might use them at a later date within the
                            > hotel chain itself. That's all I know at this time. My last email
                            > conversation was about 6 months ago....tj
                            >
                            > ________________________________

                          • Jake Williams
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 9, 2010
                              I remember the Advertiser fondly. I worked there for a short time in the
                              1970s and it was the best paper I ever worked at.
                              That was still when it was an independent owned by tghe Twigg-Smith family.
                              Sadly it was sold not so long after I left and
                              eventually wound up falling victim to the changing newspaper world.

                              I would think that the archives are still around, but access might or
                              might no be
                              easy to obtain. It may be that the library in Honolulu microfilm or
                              microfische
                              that can be viewed, but it might take a trip there to do that.

                            • mauibandb@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 9, 2010
                                Since I am a personal friend of the General manager and helped acquire a
                                lot of the artifacts, (when developing the original Hula Moons Concept). I
                                will ask about them. I was wondering if the Don Blanding Group had
                                anything in mind for these things before I ask. If we have a purpose it might be
                                compelling enough for them to let them go for good reason.
                                I believe the Hula Moons Restaurant referred to is the same location, I do
                                not know if they still have the artifacts on display.

                                aloha
                                Tom Fairbanks

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
                                  Thanks Tom, local influence is helpful. tj