Song co-authored by Blanding

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2010
      Wake up sleepyheads!

      I was poking around in the catalogue of copyrights and stumbled on the following entry in the musical compositions section:

      CANNIBAL JAZZ
      Words by D. Blanding, music by Leo Friedman [of U.S.]
      Chicago, Ill. North American Music Pub. Co.
      Jan. 15, 1920; 2 c. Feb. 2, 1920; E 472133; Donald Blanding, Rockford, Ill.

      Perhaps not a major discovery, but something more to add to Don's extensive resume.

      I wonder if it was a song which appeared in a musical revue he worked on...perhaps for the Art League of Rockford.

      Leo Friedman was a somewhat famous composer of his day.
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2010
        I found three more songs, from the same source, this time from Aug. 8, 1927:

        ALA MOANA
        ALMOST ANY NIGHT
        SONG OF A VAGABOND

        Marjorie Kulumann Chapin composed the music for all three of these songs, and they were registered in Honolulu...has anyone ever heard of her?

        The interesting thing is I found an even earlier entry for ALA MOANA from January 30, 1926, by Don and Marjorie, this time registered in Los Angeles. Don was living there at the time, so he must have met Chapin there. They also submited SONG OF A VAGABOND from Los Angeles on April 19, 1926.

        Another song I hadn't heard of, from 1926: RED-HOT, RED-HEAD which Don co-wrote with Ed Sawtelle.

        Keith
      • Kenneth Klein
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2010
          Hi,

          While we're on the subject of Don Blanding songs, I happen to have sheet music for the following songs by him:

          Waikiki Night (music by Connie Bemis)
          Last Night (music by Connie Bemis)
          The Elephant Song (music by Connie Bemis)
          Redwood Forest (from "Mostly California", music by Ada Virginia Hull)
          I Stand in the Presence of Mountains (first line) (signed "To Don Blanding, Jerry Becker," so I guess he wrote the music)

          Ken Klein

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2010
            Good sluething Keith! Always interesting to find out how much Don did and with whom....tj