Re: Don Blanding Genealogy

  • Cadia
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 24, 2010
      Hi, TJ ...

      No, Sarah Kimble Hudson was the MOTHER of Charles Sutherland Hudson, the banker in Bend, Oregon, for whom DB went to work in late May, 1912. Sarah was DB's aunt (sister of Ida Kimble Blanding) and therefore Charles S. is DB's 1st cousin. The wife of Charles S. was Gertrude McCormick, daughter of Nelson McCormick and Ella Jane Gates.

      The photo you have of DB from the Great Plains Museum is NOT with Sarah. That photo clearly shows a copy of Hula Moons, which was published in 1930. So it is incorrectly identified as DB and sarah in Bend in 1912! Lora has so advised the museum. I have since seen several photos of Sarah and the woman in the photo does not resemble her at all.

      ~~Cadia
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 24, 2010
        Tom & Cadia,

        Is there a scan of this photo you mention? If it's from 1930, then could it be Nell Martin or Lorraine Stevens? I have photos of each of them to compare it to.

        Keith

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 24, 2010
          This photo show's a very young DB, maybe, 16 or 17 years old. The lady he is with is holding a drawing most likely done by DB. I assumed the drawing might be one he did for the cafe he frequented in Bend in which he was to do some art work for cafe newspaper ad. DB is in a suit and tie and he is holding the string that pulled the trigger on the camera. He took his own photo. I am assuming this photo was taken in Bend. If someone can ID the woman then we can place where DB was at the time. The photo caption at GPM was "DB with Aunt". There is no copy of Hula Moons in this photo. I took a photo of the GPM photo and blew it up to get more detail. I given permission at GPM to photograph their collection with the understanding I would not use it without their permission which I would not do. I also possess the entire accession index from GPM that I am using when I am in a place to order copies as needed. SO, I will email this photo to Keith. I
          think he has the best information and can compare it to what he has. Maybe every one else has seen this one and I'm new to it? I don't think so though. tj