Don Blanding Genealogy

  • Lora
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 20, 2010
      Cadia is the expert and has posting Don's genealogy right here on the group page along with photos too. Lora
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 20, 2010
        Other than genealogy would there be any other tidbids that you can talk about? I'm more interested in his personality and what contributed to it. tj

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 20, 2010
          Sorry I can't help...I was only researching my Hudson ancestry....had never heard of Blanding before find the Group....continued success....Lora

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 20, 2010
            Thanks anyway....tj

            ________________________________
            Sorry I can't help...I was only researching my Hudson ancestry.... had never heard of Blanding before find the Group....continued success....Lora

            Other than genealogy would there be any other tidbids that you can talk about? I'm more interested in his personality and what contributed to it. tj

            ____________ _________ _________ __
            Cadia is the expert and has posting Don's genealogy right here on the group page along with photos too. Lora

          • JHH
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 21, 2010
                Hi Mr. Markle , I myself don't have much on his personal life, My Grandmother said he had a drinking problem, that's about all I know about him..  You are welcome to call my Aunt and mother, they might have more info. 407-688-8335 ( Bobbins)

              Jack & Wanda Hertzog
              803 S. Pequeno Camino
              Roswell NM 88203

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 23, 2010
                Since last June, Lora T. and I have been corresponding as she seeks more information on her Hudsons. Both Jack and his mother have been very helpful in contributing bits and pieces. I also connected Lora with a Hudson-McCormick researcher who has supplied photos of several family mebers -- most notably DB's Aunt Sarah Kimble Hudson, her husband Louis Polydore Hudson and some of their children.

                Jack H. is a great-grandson of Sarah and Louis by way of their 4th child, Helen. Two of Helen's daughters are still lving, Betty (Jack's mom) and Barbara (aunt "Bobbins").

                Lora is descended via an uncle of Louis P. Hudson. The Hudson-McCormick researcher that I mentioned is descended from a sister of Gertrude McCormick, who was the wife of Charles S. Hudson, elder son of Sarah and Louis. Charles and Getrude lived with their children in Bend, Oregon from about 1908 through about 1930.

                While I am leaving most of the Hudson research to Lora, I have obtained some material from the Bend Bulletin and will do a bit more microfilm sleuthing soon. The Hudsons' first daughter, Dorotha, was born on January 29, 1909 and died in July 1910. I discovered her gravesite listed on findagrave.com and paid for sponsorship. Right now, Lora and I are trying to figure out if another child (infant) named D.E. Hudson and also buried in Pilot Butte cemetery in Bend (1917), is one of our Hudsons. All I have right now is a findagrave.com listing and a location, and the sources in Bend are coming up with nothing. The good news is that the Hudson-McCormick researcher's mother lives in Bend, and he's asked her to locate and photograph the gravesite.

                Just now my commputer is on the fritz and I need to rely on library and other public computers -- which drastically cuts into my online time. However, I will try to stay in touch as best I can.

                ~~Cadia

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 23, 2010
                  So Sarah Hudson is the wife of the Bend Banker that DB went to work for right after graduation? If so I copied a picture from the Great Plains museum of her and DB.....assuming we are talking about the same person???? I'll also look through my folders as I copied some material from the Bend Library/Historical Society when I had the Blandingmobile there a few years ago. I can contribute that as needed if it would help. I'll look for it in my mess of files. I walked in old town Bend and found the address that DB lived at when he wrote Joy Is An Inside Job. The building was locked up tight and I couldn't get in or I would have sluethed the entire building. tj

                  ________________________________
                  Since last June, Lora T. and I have been corresponding as she seeks more information on her Hudsons. Both Jack and his mother have been very helpful in contributing bits and pieces. I also connected Lora with a Hudson-McCormick researcher who has supplied photos of several family mebers -- most notably DB's Aunt Sarah Kimble Hudson, her husband Louis Polydore Hudson and some of their children.

                  Jack H. is a great-grandson of Sarah and Louis by way of their 4th child, Helen. Two of Helen's daughters are still lving, Betty (Jack's mom) and Barbara (aunt "Bobbins").

                  Lora is descended via an uncle of Louis P. Hudson. The Hudson-McCormick researcher that I mentioned is descended from a sister of Gertrude McCormick, who was the wife of Charles S. Hudson, elder son of Sarah and Louis. Charles and Getrude lived with their children in Bend, Oregon from about 1908 through about 1930.

                  While I am leaving most of the Hudson research to Lora, I have obtained some material from the Bend Bulletin and will do a bit more microfilm sleuthing soon. The Hudsons' first daughter, Dorotha, was born on January 29, 1909 and died in July 1910. I discovered her gravesite listed on findagrave.com and paid for sponsorship. Right now, Lora and I are trying to figure out if another child (infant) named D.E. Hudson and also buried in Pilot Butte cemetery in Bend (1917), is one of our Hudsons. All I have right now is a findagrave.com listing and a location, and the sources in Bend are coming up with nothing. The good news is that the Hudson-McCormick researcher's mother lives in Bend, and he's asked her to locate and photograph the gravesite.

                  Just now my commputer is on the fritz and I need to rely on library and other public computers -- which drastically cuts into my online time. However, I will try to stay in touch as best I can.

                  ~~Cadia

                  --- In aloha-donblanding@ yahoogroups. com, "Lora" <zeehud@...> wrote:

                  > Cadia is the expert and has posting Don's genealogy right here on the group page along with photos too. Lora

                • Cadia
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 24, 2010
                    Hi, TJ ...

                    No, Sarah Kimble Hudson was the MOTHER of Charles Sutherland Hudson, the banker in Bend, Oregon, for whom DB went to work in late May, 1912. Sarah was DB's aunt (sister of Ida Kimble Blanding) and therefore Charles S. is DB's 1st cousin. The wife of Charles S. was Gertrude McCormick, daughter of Nelson McCormick and Ella Jane Gates.

                    The photo you have of DB from the Great Plains Museum is NOT with Sarah. That photo clearly shows a copy of Hula Moons, which was published in 1930. So it is incorrectly identified as DB and sarah in Bend in 1912! Lora has so advised the museum. I have since seen several photos of Sarah and the woman in the photo does not resemble her at all.

                    ~~Cadia
                  • Keith
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 24, 2010
                      Tom & Cadia,

                      Is there a scan of this photo you mention? If it's from 1930, then could it be Nell Martin or Lorraine Stevens? I have photos of each of them to compare it to.

                      Keith

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 24, 2010
                        This photo show's a very young DB, maybe, 16 or 17 years old. The lady he is with is holding a drawing most likely done by DB. I assumed the drawing might be one he did for the cafe he frequented in Bend in which he was to do some art work for cafe newspaper ad. DB is in a suit and tie and he is holding the string that pulled the trigger on the camera. He took his own photo. I am assuming this photo was taken in Bend. If someone can ID the woman then we can place where DB was at the time. The photo caption at GPM was "DB with Aunt". There is no copy of Hula Moons in this photo. I took a photo of the GPM photo and blew it up to get more detail. I given permission at GPM to photograph their collection with the understanding I would not use it without their permission which I would not do. I also possess the entire accession index from GPM that I am using when I am in a place to order copies as needed. SO, I will email this photo to Keith. I
                        think he has the best information and can compare it to what he has. Maybe every one else has seen this one and I'm new to it? I don't think so though. tj