Re: New Member

    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 9, 2009
      Hello, Lora, and welcome to the group. I gather that your Grandfather Hudson (name?) is a 1st cousin to Louis Pope Hudson? Pope is a family surname, possibly his mother or grandmother's maiden name. Oddly enough, Louis and Sarah's younger daughter Helen married into the Pope family. I found them on the 1920 census in Tennessee -- and Sarah is living with the family!

      As promised in a private e-mail, I have added more information to the Files about the family of Louis Pope Hudson and Sarah Kimble.

      I think you've already seen the entry for Sarah Kimble in the Blanding genealogy file. I have added more about her children and grandchildren at

      Files > Blanding Genealogy > Kimble > Biographical Notes > Related Kimble Family Lines

      You may wish to look at the actual 1900 census entry for Sarah and her 3 younger children, who were "roomers" in Wichita, KS. I believe it says she was widowed at that time, but I can't be certain. The "married 31 years" might indicate that Louis P. died only shortly before the census was taken. (They were married in 1869.) Or it might indicate that Louis P. was still alive and living or traveling elsewhere. I have not located him or elder son Charles S. on the 1900 census.

      Charles S. was married in 1902 (where?) and his and Gertrude's first son, Donald M., was born in Oklahoma in 1905. The family relocated to Bend, Oregon about 1906. They were prominent in the community and remained in Bend for about 25 years before removing to California.

      Daughter Dorotha was born in Bend in 1909 (d. 1910, buried in Pilot Butte Cemetery); daughter Doris was born there in 1913. A possible fourth child, D. E. Hudson, is buried (1917) in Pilot Butte Cemetery, age under 1 year.

      Given the "D" names of the other 3 children, and the fact that there were no other Hudsons in Bend at that time, I believe this infant to be a sibling. So far, in reading microfilm of the Bend Bulletin, I have not come across references to the births or deaths of any of these children. Were it not for finding Dorotha at findagrave.com, including a photo of her headstone, I would not have known where to start researching the Hudsons! (I sponsor Dorotha's listing at findagrave.com. Her maternal grandmother, Ella Gates Bell, is also listed.)

      Hope these details will give you some new leads to follow. It would be great if you can obtain some photos to share!

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1 11:04 AM
        Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:36 pm
        From: John Hudson Hertzog, jaxico99

        Hi Lora, received your letter, and my Grandmother Helen Pope
        (Hudson) was Don's first cousin. My Grandmaw (Momoo) was born in Garden City, Kansas in 1888, and was one of Sarah's children in Wichita in 1900. I remember "Momoo" had a picture of "Mammy" on her dresser; it was the same one as in Lawton. I don't know how
        you are related to Don, through Pope or Hudson. Mammy was born in 1849 and died in 1933. I think she lived with "Momoo and "Pope" Loren Pope, my Grandfather in Louisiana, where "Pope" owned a lumber mill in Hammond, La.

        I don't have that picture, but my aunt Barbara ( Bobbins) might have it, you can call her and ask her, she's given permission [phone number deleted].
        ----------

        Hello, Jack, and welcome back to the group! With the help of some correspondence we exchanged back in 2003, I was able to put Lora in touch with you. You are both Hudsons, through different lines which I'll try to explain in a moment.

        First, however, I want to caution everyone in the group that this message board is PUBLIC -- that is, anyone on the internet has access to the content. (The rest of the group website is private and available only to members.) So that's why I have deleted your initial response and am copying it here, sans your aunt's phone number.

        As Lora [Hudson Treadwell] mentioned in her first message, your great-grandfather, Louis Pope Hudson, is her 1st cousin twice removed.

        In the past couple of weeks, Lora and I have exchanged considerable e-mail with information and tips on how to find more. She obtained an e-mailed photo of DB from the museum in Lawton, which supposedly is of DB and Aunt Sarah in Bend, OR, in 1912. The photo, however, was taken in 1930 or later, as evidenced by the copy of Hula Moons on the table before Don! I challenged the identity of the woman in the photo, who certainly does not look 80-something or 45 years older than a very mature-looking DB. However, if the photo is, indeed, of DB and Sarah ... hooray!

        With Lora's help and by pure chance, I discovered that Aunt Sarah died on October 15, 1933, in Hammond, LA, which you have confirmed. She is not listed on the 1930 census, however, with your grandparents and their children.

        Although Louis Pope Hudson is of interest mainly because he was the husband of Sarah Kimble [Ida Blanding's older sister and DB's much beloved aunt], it has been great to learn a bit more about his heritage. Lora has tracked her Hudsons back to Polydore Hudson and his first wife, Harriet Morehouse. Polydore grew apples in Saratoga County, NY, until about 1832 when crops failed and he removed to Calhoun County, Michigan, near Battle Creek. The county seat is Marshall, where coincidentally James L. Kimble and his wife Maria Benson [Sarah and Ida' parents] settled after their marriage in 1836. James, from PA, had been in the area about 1832 during the Black Hawk war. It is quite possible that Polydore and James knew each other!

        It is not clear when Harriet died, but Polydore is listed on the 1860 census with his 2nd wife Barbara [unknown] and died in either 1866 or 1868.

        Polydore and Harriet Hudson had 9 children, 6 sons and 3 daughters. Lora and I have identified 4 sons, several of whom were prominent in Michigan or Minnesota politics. They are Aaron Guy, Bradley Polydore, Hiram B. and James S.

        Aaron Guy Hudson and Hannah Sutherland were the parents of Louis Pope Hudson, and therefore your great-grandparents. Lora is descended from Aaron's brother, James S., who was her great-great-grandfather. Aaron and Hannah settled in Minnesota; he helped write the state constitution in 1857-58.

        Please note the name Sutherland. At long last we have discovered the middle name of Charles S. Hudson, son of Louis Pope Hudson. Charles S. was your grandmother Helen's elder brother. He was the cousin for whom DB worked in 1912-1913 at the bank in Bend, OR. Charles S. died in 1953 in the San Diego, CA, area; shortly before Lora joined the group I found his full name on the California death index, on which his mother Sarah's maiden name is misspelled Kimball.

        Doris, second daughter of Charles S., may still be alive at 95 in California. Lora is hoping to contact her.

        So, Jack, it looks like you and Lora are at least "kissin' cousins"!
        And be sure to take a look at the photo Lora has provided of Louis P. Your great-grandfather Hudson is in the Files in the Blanding Genealogy section under Kimble.

        Of Louis P. and Sarah's 4 children, we have a pretty good handle on Charles and Helen. Now does anyone know anything about daughter Ada and son Louis? They are listed on the 1900 census in Wichita, KS, with their mother. Ada was 29 and a stenographer at the time; Louis was about 18. After that, nothing.

        We are also trying to find out when and where Louis P. died. Lora has tracked him possibly to MO and OK about 1910-1913. All we know for sure is that Sarah was a widow by 1920, when she was living in Shelby County, TN, with Helen and Loren Pope. By 1923, the family removed to Hammond, LA, where younger daughters Barbara and Helen were born.

        The research goes on ... thanks to all for their help.

        ~~Cadia
      • JHH
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1 12:03 PM
          Hi , Ada was Who all of us Popes Called "Aunty", she was born in 1867 and passed in the late fifties? at about 90, she married Joseph Burbank, never had any children, Joe and Aunty lived in Jacksonville, Ill., and later she Lived with Helen "Mamoo" in Saint Louis, we visited Aunty and Uncle Joe in Jacksonville when I was a kid (12 or 13), uncle Joe was driving a model "T", this was in 1955, Mom was afraid to ride with him, as he was about 90, and couldn't see very well.

          I remember playing in their attic, it was like going back to 1900, there were many antiques and relics in there.

                                                                                                                                       Thanx Cadia

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 1 5:05 PM
            Hi, Jack ...

            Thanks for adding your remembrance of your Aunt Ada and Uncle Joe. Do you know what year they married?

            In the past year or so I've added quite a bit of genealogical information to the Files. Based on the 1900 census, and the fact that Louis P. and Sarah were married in 1869, Ada was born in April 1871, not in 1867. Here's what I have:

            1900 Census: Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas
            Series: T623 Roll: 499 Page: 66
            Enumeration: June 1
            Page 66, A & B

            Household: 423 North Walnut Street

            Smith, D. W., b. Jan. 1832, age 68, married 38 years, widowed?, b. New York, dentist

            Champion, A. S., daughter, b. June 1864, married 6 years, divorced?, b. Ohio

            Champion, P. C., grandson, b. Aug. 1891, age 8, b. Kansas or Ohio, parents b. Ohio

            Hudson, Sarah, roomer, b. July 1849, age 51, married 31 years, 4 children, all living; b. WI, father b. PA, mother b. WI, dressmaker

            Hudson, Ada, roomer [daughter], b. April 1871, age 29, married, b. MN, father b. MI, mother b. WI, stenographer

            Hudson, Louis, roomer, [son], b. April 1882, age 18, single, b. Dakota Territory, father b. MI, mother b. WI, news agt. on RR

            Hudson, Helen, roomer [daughter], b. October 1888, age 11, single, b. KS, father b. MI, mother b. WI, at school
            **********
            My questions are:

            Where is Louis P. in 1900? Why is Ada listed as "Hudson" but married? Where is her husband? Where is her brother Charles S.?

            I do know that Charles (b. 2/5/1874) married Gertrude Elsie McCormick in 1902 and they were living in Tishomingo, OK, in 1905 when their son Donald M. was born. About 1906 or 1907, the family removed to Bend, OR, where they remained about 25 years. They later surfaced in Southern California, where Charles S. died on 11/9/1953.

            Any clues you can provide?

            By the way, folks, let's not confuse our Ada's here. Ada Hudson is Sarah Kimble's daughter married to Joseph Burbank; Ada Kimble Philley is Sarah's younger sister married to Issaac L. Philley; Ada Martin supposedly is Elizza A., 1878 bride of Albert Kimble, Sarah's elder brother.

            Then there's DB's aunt Emma Blanding, whose husband was J. Q. Burbank. Probably no connection to Joseph Burbank, but you never know with these families!

            Are we confused yet?

            ~Cadia
          • JHH
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 2 5:29 AM

              Hi Cadia, I actually lived with Ada ( Aunty) when she lived with Helen ( Mamoo) and at that time, I never even knew her name, it was always just "Aunty", just as I never called my grandfather Loren "Grandfather", we always called him 'Pope', including his own son Alan (Buddy), although his four daughters always called him 'daddy', I do, however remember that DON B. never forgot my grandmother, and every so often would write her a letter or send a postcard with a sketch or doodle on it, and she'd show me.  By the way Helen ( Mamoo) was the greatest scrabble player I'd ever seen, she had the highest score of anybody I'd ever seen , she scored "504', to my "316", and as I mentioned before, she had great literary ability, which was never used, because she was basically a housewife, and almost deaf, so we all had to shout at her, all her kids, my aunts and uncle, grew up with powerful resonating voices, including myself if I need to, although I speak with
              a low drawl naturally.

              To bad, when We are kids, we don't think to ask questions about certain things that we would like to know later. It's fun recalling a few of these things for the forum.

[...]

            • John Hudson Hertzog
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 2 4:27 PM
                Hi Cadia I forgot to mention that I don't know much about Helen Hudson's siblings, never asked when I was a kid, though I met one of Pope's brothers one time, he came through Saint Louis, I think he was about 65.