Great Plains Museum, Lawton Ok.

  • Tom Markle
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2009
      I've just spent the day viewing, photographing and copying all that I could of their wonderful collection. Contrary to what I thought, the collection is a composite of at least 6 different donors stretching back into the 70's. It is quite a collection with some one of a kind items that some of us would give our eye teeth to own. I especially liked their original Centaur piece that was Don's centerpiece on his wall. I've been looking for that one for years and they had it. I've also decided that they should be whom I will donate my collection to. That's a long time off but nevertheless I'll add it into my will. Very worthwhile seeing if anyone ever gets to Lawton Ok. tj
    • tjmarkle2005
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 19, 2009
        FYI for Blanding fans everywhere. There is a current exhibition of Don's collected works at the Great Plains Museum in Lawton OK. It goes through Nov. 2009. When I was there a few months ago I knew they were going to have one but it surprised me that it came up so quickly. I haven't gone on line to view it and I'm not sure you can do that. The exhibit is combined with another local writer and is not devoted purely to Don's work. I viewed all of the Museums collection and will say they have a comprehensive collection worth viewing if you want to see a broad spectrum of Don's work. I have decided that my entire collection will be given to the Great Plains Museum. I hope that is a long time in the future though! tj
      • Karen Cotter
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 19, 2009
          I HOPE SO TOO, TJ! KAREN COTTER
        • tjmarkle2005
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 25, 2010
            For the next few weeks I will posting special photo's on my Facebook taken at the Great Plains Museum in Lawton OK, where many of Don's personal effects are being held. I photographed most of the collection while there. They have some iconic items if you are a Blanding nut. Todays photo is of the one of a kind original Centaur that is seen in some of Don's photo's in Carmel and elsewhere. The original has some damage and really needs restoration.
          • mauibandb@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2010
              tj thanks for sharing this is real special I will check out your Facebook

              aloha
              Maui Tom