Re: [aloha-donblanding] Iwalani Basler and the Jasmine House

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 22, 2009
      That is a great story and it was right there in your own backyard (so to speak). Can you get an interview with a tape recorder for posterity? Take photo's of the house? Or better yet, find someone to pay my way over and I'll do it..mahalo...tj

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 22, 2009
        I had hoped to go this friday. But I will tape record it when I get over
        there. Because Mr Basler is in his 80's I am sure he was around to see the
        goings on.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 22, 2009
            How long will they be staying with you? I'll think up a question or two and maybe Cadia and Keith can do the same? I videotaped 5 people at my 2000 Carmel show and 2 of them are gone now. tj

            ________________________________

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            ************ **From Wall Street to Main Street and everywhere in between, stay
            up-to-date with the latest news. (http://aol.com? ncid=emlcntaolco m00000023)

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 22, 2009
              Tom: I'm always interested in personal observations of DB's personality, his friends, his enemies. Ask questions around this and record it if possible. Get detailed info on which artists and writers were included in the "group" that assembled at the Basler home. Are there photo's of them that Mr. Basler owns or has stored away? Can we get copies if they exist? What did they converse about? Are there any handwritten notes or sketches left lying about after all these years (get copies?). Need more information if possible about the development of Paradise Loot...all those quirkie tidbits are valuable information. What other publications did they help with, work on or know about that DB was involved in? What did Mr. Basler actually think of DB in his own words? Does he know of anyone else alive that knew DB and where are they if so. Did his mother compose music with DB doing the lyrics? If so, what are the compositions? Did they use them in any
              of the shows/plays that DB was involved in, i.e., Junior League if they exist? That's about it off the top of my head. That would be a great start at something new involving DB. Great work and a great opportunity....go for it Tom....mahalo...tj

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 22, 2009
                I had to get out my Paradise Loot book and re-read the Jasmine House poem. I wonder if her drawing of Jasmine House would still be accurate today. I re-read Baby Street also....mahalo...tj

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 22, 2009
                  they left the next day so I didn't have time to ask much.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 23, 2009
                    Maybe when you go over to Honolulu sometime you could finish the interview? It's too good to pass up or can you/I write them? tj

                    ________________________________
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 27, 2009
                      Tom,

                      How wonderful to find a living link to both DB and your own family!

                      I would imagine that Mr. Basler could provide a sense of what Honolulu
                      was like, both pre-war and post-war, and might recall DB's sojourns
                      there in 1937, 1939-40 and again in the early 1950s. Was he even born
                      when Paradise Loot was published?

                      When the opportunity presents itself, I hope you'll be able to obtain
                      an oral history to help connect the bits of DB trivia we've collected
                      over the years.

                      ~~Cadia
                    • mauibandb@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 27, 2009
                        aloha TJ
                        Clint Basler _Baslerclint@..._ (mailto:Baslerclint@...)

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 27, 2009
                          His cousin Margo Morgan lives on the house that is on the site of where my
                          Great Grandfather's house was. I hope to interview both.
                          I think they might have just been born in 1925.

                          aloha
                          Tom

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 28, 2009
                            Maui Tom; I emailed the Basler's. We'll see what becomes of it. Must be really nice to be able to go back to your 1850's heritage. I'd be taking film for sure. FYI, as of Feb 4th, the Blandingmobile will be pulling out of the driveway and heading East. We plan to do all the Southern States all the way to the Everglades in Florida and be gone for the next 6+ months. We bought a new Macbook with WiFi and so will be able to keep up with all the yahoo groups gossip, as slow as it is. I'll be stopping in Taos NM to do a little personal DB research and also stopping at the Great Plains Museum in Oklahoma. If I get into the Ft. Pierce area, I'll be researching also. Some one has to keep the economy going...ha......tj