Iwalani Basler and the Jasmine House

  • mauibandb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 21, 2009
      Aloha All

      A Don Blanding highlight of the day. Clinton Basler and his wife Mildred
      are staying with us at the Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono _http://www.mauiinn.com_
      (http://www.mauiinn.com/) . Clinton is son of Iwalani Basler good friend of
      DB and cohort. Apparently the "artist's group gathered oft at the Basler
      Home to practice their artwork. According to Clinton. His mother also played
      piano so she played others did other diciplins and they had a merry time.
      Clinton is 80 so he knew DB.
      She collaborated in Paradise Loot by doing the illustrations for Baby street
      and the Jasmine House.
      Clinton and Mildred live in the Jasmine House today. It is located in the
      Robinson family compound on Robinson lane in Nuuanu just above Oahu Cemetary
      the five Robinson homes are on the State Historic Register. Apparently many
      of the family members still live there.

      Clinton mentioned that if you have first edition of Paradise Loot that "Carl
      and Iwalani Basler" are noted under the homes illustration. In second
      edition and later it was removed as Mr and Mrs Basler were divorced. I confirmed
      this as I have a first and second edition. Quirky tid bit.

      The best of all though was that I always wanted to visit the land on
      Robinson Lane as that is where my great great grandparents built their "Nuuanu
      house" in 1850. Later they sold to Robinson in 1880. Now I know someone so I can
      enter the property with permission, and get a feeling for the sense of place
      of my roots. And I have another connection to DB.

      aloha
      Maui Tom

      steps!
      cemailfooterNO62)

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 22, 2009
        That is a great story and it was right there in your own backyard (so to speak). Can you get an interview with a tape recorder for posterity? Take photo's of the house? Or better yet, find someone to pay my way over and I'll do it..mahalo...tj

        ________________________________
[...]

        ************ **A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy
        steps!
        (http://pr.atwola. com/promoclk/ 100000075x121585 5013x1201028747/ aol?redir= http://www. freecreditreport .com/pm/default. aspx?sc=668072% 26hmpgID= 62%26bcd= De
        cemailfooterNO62)

      • mauibandb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 22, 2009
          I had hoped to go this friday. But I will tape record it when I get over
          there. Because Mr Basler is in his 80's I am sure he was around to see the
          goings on.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 22, 2009
              How long will they be staying with you? I'll think up a question or two and maybe Cadia and Keith can do the same? I videotaped 5 people at my 2000 Carmel show and 2 of them are gone now. tj

              ________________________________

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              ************ **From Wall Street to Main Street and everywhere in between, stay
              up-to-date with the latest news. (http://aol.com? ncid=emlcntaolco m00000023)

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 22, 2009
                Tom: I'm always interested in personal observations of DB's personality, his friends, his enemies. Ask questions around this and record it if possible. Get detailed info on which artists and writers were included in the "group" that assembled at the Basler home. Are there photo's of them that Mr. Basler owns or has stored away? Can we get copies if they exist? What did they converse about? Are there any handwritten notes or sketches left lying about after all these years (get copies?). Need more information if possible about the development of Paradise Loot...all those quirkie tidbits are valuable information. What other publications did they help with, work on or know about that DB was involved in? What did Mr. Basler actually think of DB in his own words? Does he know of anyone else alive that knew DB and where are they if so. Did his mother compose music with DB doing the lyrics? If so, what are the compositions? Did they use them in any
                of the shows/plays that DB was involved in, i.e., Junior League if they exist? That's about it off the top of my head. That would be a great start at something new involving DB. Great work and a great opportunity....go for it Tom....mahalo...tj

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 22, 2009
                  I had to get out my Paradise Loot book and re-read the Jasmine House poem. I wonder if her drawing of Jasmine House would still be accurate today. I re-read Baby Street also....mahalo...tj

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 22, 2009
                    they left the next day so I didn't have time to ask much.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 23, 2009
                      Maybe when you go over to Honolulu sometime you could finish the interview? It's too good to pass up or can you/I write them? tj

                      ________________________________
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 27, 2009
                        Tom,

                        How wonderful to find a living link to both DB and your own family!

                        I would imagine that Mr. Basler could provide a sense of what Honolulu
                        was like, both pre-war and post-war, and might recall DB's sojourns
                        there in 1937, 1939-40 and again in the early 1950s. Was he even born
                        when Paradise Loot was published?

                        When the opportunity presents itself, I hope you'll be able to obtain
                        an oral history to help connect the bits of DB trivia we've collected
                        over the years.

                        ~~Cadia
                      • mauibandb@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 27, 2009
                          aloha TJ
                          Clint Basler _Baslerclint@..._ (mailto:Baslerclint@...)

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 27, 2009
                            His cousin Margo Morgan lives on the house that is on the site of where my
                            Great Grandfather's house was. I hope to interview both.
                            I think they might have just been born in 1925.

                            aloha
                            Tom

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 28, 2009
                              Maui Tom; I emailed the Basler's. We'll see what becomes of it. Must be really nice to be able to go back to your 1850's heritage. I'd be taking film for sure. FYI, as of Feb 4th, the Blandingmobile will be pulling out of the driveway and heading East. We plan to do all the Southern States all the way to the Everglades in Florida and be gone for the next 6+ months. We bought a new Macbook with WiFi and so will be able to keep up with all the yahoo groups gossip, as slow as it is. I'll be stopping in Taos NM to do a little personal DB research and also stopping at the Great Plains Museum in Oklahoma. If I get into the Ft. Pierce area, I'll be researching also. Some one has to keep the economy going...ha......tj