James C. Blanding, DB's uncle; Joseph W. Blanding, DB's grandfather

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 29, 2008
      Hello, all ...

      Hope everyone has had a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

      I have added more information to the Files about DB's uncle James C.
      Blanding, with whom DB spent time at Yellowstone National Park
      during his high school summers, about 1909-1911.

      At the time, James C. was in his mid-60s. However, I have found
      several newspaper items and other information about his life in the
      1870s, when he was a young surveyor in Dakota Territory.

      You'll find the bits and pieces at

      Files > Blanding Genealogy > Blanding > Biographical Notes

      and at

      Files > Publications > Dakota Republican, The

      and

      Files > Publications > Sioux City [IA] Daily Journal

      In the Blanding Genealogy section, I have also added census
      information related to Joseph W. Blanding, DB's paternal
      grandfather. As nearly as I can determine, Joseph W. was born about
      1819 in Pennsylvania and was still living at the time of the 1900
      census in Richland County, North Dakota. He was evidently a
      widower; the household includes his single sons Walter D. and Joseph
      S. as well as a married daughter Emma Burbank.

      Even though Joseph W. is not shown on the 1910 and 1920 censuses, I
      have included these years for continuity. Both bachelor sons and
      their sister Emma remained in the same county for more than 40 years!

      ~~Cadia
    • donwen@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2008
        Hi Cadia,
        Thanks for the information, and also for the past info on Abijah Benson a
        while back. I noticed you didn't have the 1850 census for Joseph W. Blanding
        and family on the web site. You probably have it, but just in case here it
        is:

        1850 Census Wisconsin > Grant > District 24 Census taken
        on 20 Aug 1850 for 1 June 1850
        Joseph W. Blanding 30 b. PA farmer Real Estate Value $1000
        Maria Blanding 21 b. WI
        James Blanding 2 b. WI
        Emma Blanding 5/12 b. WI

        Keep up the good research!
        Aloha, Donna Wendt in Hawaii

      • Karen Cotter
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 11, 2008
          Hi Cadia - thanks for keeping me on the list....I'm still here, reading once
          a month.....I am in awe of your and several other's efforts....I chat with
          Keith and tj occasionally.
          Thanks for all you do! K Cotter

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 6, 2009
            Hi Cadia,
            Happy New Year.
            I keep getting emails at my old address which was
            manae2008@...
            My current address is manae2008@...
            I guess I don't know how to inform the society.
            Aloha, Helen von Tempsky

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2009

            • MFBrookman@prodigy.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 11, 2009
                I'm still here! Thx, michael
              • Jackie Collins
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 11, 2009
                  Dear Cadia et al,

                  Still active, though lurking.

                  Thanks for keeping me on the list.

                  Aloha, Jackie in Honolulu

[...]

                  Jacqueline Collins Buck, Realtor Associate
                  Sales & Marketing of Fine Properties Since 1983
                  Mary Worrall Associates Sotheby's International Realty
                  Direct Phone: 808-224-4285
                  Office: 808-739-4465
                  Private FAX: 808-394-2201
                  email: Jackie@...
                  or JackieCollins-Buck@...
                  www.worrall.com or www.sothebysrealty.com

                • helen vT
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 15 11:24 AM
                    Hi Cadia,
                    This is a repeat message to you. I have been unable to look at my old
                    email address until today.
                    You told me how to change my email address for the Society, but I
                    forgot the procedure.
                    Bev Leinbach is on Maui for 2 weeks now but returning home sometime
                    next week. I didn't get over to see her.
                    Aloha, Helen von Tempsky