Re: [aloha-donblanding] DB writes from New York about his Paris sojourn, 1924

  • Robert Richmond
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2008
      Hi Cadia and all!

      This is just wonderful - I'll send it to my 26 year old daughter who
      lives in Paris with her wonderful new husband and loves it all.

      We all must be eternally grateful to you, Cadia, fpr your diligence
      and labor in unearthing such microfilmed gems.

      Bob Richmond
      Knoxville TN
      On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Cadia Los <duchess@...> wrote:
      > Hello, all ...
      >
      > I have finally obtained a copy of the second article that DB wrote
      > for the Honolulu Star-Bulletin in 1924. It is headlined "Millions
      > for Headdress, But --- Blanding Goes to Paris to Study Costumes and
      > Finds Little Costume to Study" and was published on October 18,
      > nearly 2 months after he arrived back in the States.
      >
      > Illustrating the article is a wonderful sketch of DB "done in the
      > Cafe of the Dead Rat in Paris by the famous artist C. G. C.
      > (Christensen)."
      >
      > You will find my transcription and the sketch in
      >
      > Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1924 Articles by Don
      > Blanding
      >
      > and at
      >
      > http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/db-paris1924.html
      >
      > The photocopy provided by the library at the University of Hawaii is
      > marred throughout by striations, and of course they thoughtfully
      > stamped the copyright notice directly on the illustration. But
      > after more than a year in search of this article, I'll take what I
      > can get!
      >
      > And, no, I could find no information about the artist known as C. G.
      > C.
      >
      > Enjoy!
      >
      > ~~Cadia

    • Allen Dayton
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2008
        Having just returned from France a week ago, I found this to be a great
        piece of work. DB really has a great way with words. Being an Okie
        from Lawton and being of a certain age, I found the part about the
        schoolteachers from Tulsa very funny. I believe this was written during
        prohibition which also made for the interesting comments. Thank you
        Cadia for finding it and posting it.

        Al Dayton

        <http://www.speakeasy.org/%7Educhess/db-paris1924.html>