DB writes from New York about his Paris sojourn, 1924

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2008
      Hello, all ...

      I have finally obtained a copy of the second article that DB wrote
      for the Honolulu Star-Bulletin in 1924. It is headlined "Millions
      for Headdress, But --- Blanding Goes to Paris to Study Costumes and
      Finds Little Costume to Study" and was published on October 18,
      nearly 2 months after he arrived back in the States.

      Illustrating the article is a wonderful sketch of DB "done in the
      Cafe of the Dead Rat in Paris by the famous artist C. G. C.
      (Christensen)."

      You will find my transcription and the sketch in

      Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1924 Articles by Don
      Blanding

      and at

      http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/db-paris1924.html

      The photocopy provided by the library at the University of Hawaii is
      marred throughout by striations, and of course they thoughtfully
      stamped the copyright notice directly on the illustration. But
      after more than a year in search of this article, I'll take what I
      can get!

      And, no, I could find no information about the artist known as C. G.
      C.

      Enjoy!

      ~~Cadia
    • Robert Richmond
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28, 2008
        Hi Cadia and all!

        This is just wonderful - I'll send it to my 26 year old daughter who
        lives in Paris with her wonderful new husband and loves it all.

        We all must be eternally grateful to you, Cadia, fpr your diligence
        and labor in unearthing such microfilmed gems.

        Bob Richmond
        Knoxville TN
        On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Cadia Los <duchess@...> wrote:
        > Hello, all ...
        >
        > I have finally obtained a copy of the second article that DB wrote
        > for the Honolulu Star-Bulletin in 1924. It is headlined "Millions
        > for Headdress, But --- Blanding Goes to Paris to Study Costumes and
        > Finds Little Costume to Study" and was published on October 18,
        > nearly 2 months after he arrived back in the States.
        >
        > Illustrating the article is a wonderful sketch of DB "done in the
        > Cafe of the Dead Rat in Paris by the famous artist C. G. C.
        > (Christensen)."
        >
        > You will find my transcription and the sketch in
        >
        > Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1924 Articles by Don
        > Blanding
        >
        > and at
        >
        > http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/db-paris1924.html
        >
        > The photocopy provided by the library at the University of Hawaii is
        > marred throughout by striations, and of course they thoughtfully
        > stamped the copyright notice directly on the illustration. But
        > after more than a year in search of this article, I'll take what I
        > can get!
        >
        > And, no, I could find no information about the artist known as C. G.
        > C.
        >
        > Enjoy!
        >
        > ~~Cadia

      • Allen Dayton
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2008
          Having just returned from France a week ago, I found this to be a great
          piece of work. DB really has a great way with words. Being an Okie
          from Lawton and being of a certain age, I found the part about the
          schoolteachers from Tulsa very funny. I believe this was written during
          prohibition which also made for the interesting comments. Thank you
          Cadia for finding it and posting it.

          Al Dayton

          <http://www.speakeasy.org/%7Educhess/db-paris1924.html>