Re: [aloha-donblanding] Blandings Poem in movie "Star Night at the Coconut Grove"

  • Keith Emmons
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 19, 2008
      Bob,

      I believe only the first four or five lines were spoken in the film...by
      actor Leo Carillo.

      Keith

      On 9/18/08 12:19 PM, "Bob M" <goldfest@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > two I was looking at Keith's timeline of Blanding which for some reason I had
      > not seen before.  And there was a line that said Don's poem Hollywood was used
      > in the movie "Star Night at the Coconut Grove" I believe in 1937.  So I had
      > been right after all.  A couple of comments/questions on this.
      >
      > Thanks Keith for that excellent and very detailed time line.
      >
      > Does anyone know if this movie is available as a download?  Or available to
      > order as a DVD?   I recommend the movie, by the way, if you have not seen it.
      >
      > Did they change up the poem for the movie?  That is one reason I want to get
      > the movie to check that.  A screenplay of the movie might reveal something
      > here, although not conclusively.
      >
      > This is the way it reads in Vagabond's House:
      >
      > HOLLYWOOD
      >
      >      Hollywood . . . Hollywood . . .
      >      Fabulous Follywood . . .
      > Celluloid Babylon, glorious, glamorous,
      >      City delirious,
      >      Frivolous, serious,
      > Goal of ambitious and vicious and clamorous.
      >
      >      Here are the infamous,
      >      Innocent, sinfamous,
      > Striving, conniving to gain recognition,
      >      Faddists, fanatics
      >      And men who make batiks,
      > Trying and crying in mad competiton.
      >
      >      Milllionaire movie queens,
      >      Milliners, Magdalenes,
      > Movie-bug bitten, a fatal affliction.
      >      Eager young sextra girls,
      >      Sinuous sextra girls,
      > Fighting for fame in the flickering fiction.
      >
      >      Beauties from Budapest,
      >      Bangor and Bucharest,
      > Cuties from Cairo in lovely profusion.
      >      Scripts and scenarios,
      >      Leering Lotharios,
      > Grease-paint and gossamer, dreams and illusion.
      >
      >      Treachery, loyalty,
      >      Celluoid royalty,
      > Pickfords and Chaplins, de Milles and the Gishes,
      >      Stars meteoric,
      >      Romantic, caloric,
      > Peers in the kingdom of visions and wishes.
      >
      >      Drama, a city full,
      >      Tragic and pitiful,
      > Bunk, junk and genius amazingly blended.
      >      Tawdry, tremendous,
      >      Absurd and stupendous,
      > Shoddy and cheap . . . and astoundingly splendid.
      >
      >      Hollywood . . . Hollywood,
      >      Fabulous Follywood . . .
      > Target for censor, reformer and deacon,
      >      They say you are a harlot,
      >      Your sins are as scarlet
      > Perhaps you're a goddess that bears a bright beacon.
      >

      > Any comments from anyone on this poem.  My thought is that well it sure fits
      > today as it did some 70 years ago.   And I hope they didn't change a word for
      > the movie.  It needed no change.  And I hope my typing above got it right.
      > The indentions I was not sure how to do, but hope they transmit OK.  If not
      > and you have "Vagabond's House" it is on pages 96 and 97.  And I think the
      > movie is running some now but I do not recall if it is Turner Classic Movies

    • Robert Richmond
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 19, 2008
        The verse of "Hollywood" puts me in mind of a poem that was well known
        in Don Blanding's day (and was still in one of my grade school
        literature books around 1950, though the teacher never mentioned it) -
        Robert Southey's "The Cataract of Lodore". See
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataract_of_Lodore

        In your transcription of the third verse of Blanding's poem, shouldn't
        one of the "sextra's" be "extra"?

        Bob Richmond
        Knoxville TN
        ************************************

      • Bob M
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 19, 2008
          Keith,

          Thanks for your comment.  I believe that more than that of the poem is recited.  I do not know if all of it is there, but my memory (only a few days ago, and not entirely gone yet) is that other lines further on in the poem are there.  I recall some of them, several of them.  I believe most of the poem is there.  And the actor, Leo Carrillo, is very good with the poem.

          The reason I thought maybe some words were changed a little is that it flowed so flawlessly and well from the actor it seemed too smooth.  But then a good actor can do that with a good poem.  And I suppose Blanding wrote it and his other poems to be read aloud.

          Some other questions I have is did DB get paid for this poem, and how much?  Did he have anything to do with writing the rest of the movie?  Are Don's poems in other movies or books, novels, etc.?  Surely they are.

          I have not been able to locate a source to get the movie yet, but from what I am finding is that it apparently was a short length experimental feature for the advent of technicolor.  Oddly enough, and maybe my memory is further gone than I think, my recollection is that it was black and white.  It had started when I came in so I didn't know of its short length, but I was impressed with how good it was and how good everyone looked, and how good the sound was.

          Thanks for the comeback, and let me know if you are correct that it was only a few lines.  Maybe it was not the whole poem but more than 4 or 5 lines.  And maybe it was extracted for parts of the poem.  If I find out more I will let you know.

          On 9/18/08 12:19 PM, "Bob M" <goldfest@yahoo. com> wrote:

> [...]
          > Bunk, junk and genius amazingly blended.
          >      Tawdry, tremendous,
          >      Absurd and stupendous,
          > Shoddy and cheap . . . and astoundingly splendid.
          >
          >      Hollywood . . . Hollywood,
          >      Fabulous Follywood . . .
          > Target for censor, reformer and deacon,
          >      They say you are a harlot,
          >      Your sins are as scarlet
          > Perhaps you're a goddess that bears a bright beacon.
          >

          > Any comments from anyone on this poem.  My thought is that well it sure fits
          > today as it did some 70 years ago.   And I hope they didn't change a word for
          > the movie.  It needed no change.  And I hope my typing above got it right.
          > The indentions I was not sure how to do, but hope they transmit OK.  If not
          > and you have "Vagabond's House" it is on pages 96 and 97.  And I think the
          > movie is running some now but I do not recall if it is Turner Classic Movies

        • Bob M
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 19, 2008
            Bob,

            Thanks for your comments, and the referral to Robert Southey's poem.  The waters cascading at Lodore are graphically described by Southey by his using words more or less cascading to recreate the feel and atmosphere of the falls.  And yes this is exactly what Blanding was doing in using his words to create the atmosphere of Hollywood.  Southey doesn't recreate the words and make new words and allusions as much as Blanding did though.  And you are exactly right.  I mistyped, and in the third verse line 4 it should be "extra" and not "sextra".  The Blanding created word "sextra" is correct however in line 5.  Thank you for pointing that out.

            BobM