Re: [aloha-donblanding] Writing Poetry and Verse

  • Jackie Collins
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 15, 2008
      That's a great ode, Tom.

      ...Just a little reminder to correct your typo the next
      time you repeat your poem....

      Where he was supposed to be

      Tom Markle, Sept 1, 2000

      Just follow your heart with poetry. Let it flow and don't think about it. If you think, you blink, if you blink, it gets momentarily dark and you loose the thought.....let it flow without criticism or worry about what others think. That is the art of poetry. Don would have a thought and write it down on a napkin, a piece of paper or whatever was handy. That was his natural way. tj

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 15, 2008
        Yup, left of the "d" on supposed. It's correct on my original though. Thanks for the English lesson...ha...tj

        > ...Just a little reminder to correct your typo the next
        > time you repeat your poem....
        >
        > Where he was supposed to be

      • Bob M
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 15, 2008
          Tom,

          Thank you for those tips and advice on writing poetry.  And thank you for the "Ode to Don Blanding".   Very good.

          Do you have a web site with your poems?  Or writings?

          That is interesting about Blanding teaching adults, but not poetry.  Do you know what he taught other than art if anything?

          I have just recently gotten into Don Blanding, and yes I think he was a natural poet and it just flowed from his poetic outlook on life.  What I have seen of his poetry is beautiful and in rhyme.

          Thanks again for your response.  What about your shows?  My apologies for not knowing about your work.

          BobM

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 15, 2008
            I have no website, sorry. I would suggest you go through Cadia's website and read all of the posting from 2000 on. It will give you an education on Don and his life. Don did some High School teaching and I believe he taught Greek Mythology, one of his passions. You will see Greek mythology interwoven through out his books in poetry and art. I own an unpublished book by a soldier he mentored in WW2. The book is of poetry and art much like Don would have published. In his own way Don would accept others into his teachings and mentor them. Formally, I don't think he relished structured teaching for a living. He just did it when his time was right. He was a patriot and mentoring a soldier was right up his alley. It is an interesting story and a pretty well written book by a soldier literally hiding in the jungles of the Philippines and surviving until the liberation. The fact that he wrote this book in the midst of war is really amazing. This
            soldier later became a teacher and used some of Don's books to teach with. I met this soldier at the 2000 show but he died two years after. His wife sent me his unpublished book and copied of letters from Don. Here's to good writing....tj