Book printing variations

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2008
      I have a 1935 edition of Vagabond's House--the 17th printing. I
      recently bought another copy from 10 years later, the 36th printing
      from 1945. Although the pagination is the same, the illustrations are
      mostly different and the paper quality and print itself are both
      inferior to the earlier. I would imagine this is not news to folks
      here, but I'm wondering if printings vary individually in quality--or
      whether there was a year where it was changed for all following
      editions. And is the same true on other titles? Thanks for any
      information on this.
    • sam17659@cs.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2008
        Hello, Canoesist35:

        Remember '45 was during -- or immediately after the war years. Inferior
        paper products should probably be expected. This may also explain the different
        designs being used. But, it could be that a different publishing house was
        doing the printing. It also just occurred to me, that Don, himself changed the
        prints used. Has anyone (Keith?) done a list of the actual first printing
        dates for all of the books? Was there a new book -- or "anthology" -- first
        printed soon after 1945, that used previously printed designs?

        Just a few thoughts, after midnight, and during the work week!

        Ted

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2008
          Michael,

          Don added additional illustrations to the book in 1940 for the 25th edition. All subsequent
          editions sported the new drawings.

          And, as Ted said, war editions of his books have the thinner, poorer quality paper.

          Keith

          --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <canoeist35@...> wrote:

          > I have a 1935 edition of Vagabond's House--the 17th printing. I
          > recently bought another copy from 10 years later, the 36th printing
          > from 1945. Although the pagination is the same, the illustrations are
          > mostly different and the paper quality and print itself are both
          > inferior to the earlier. I would imagine this is not news to folks
          > here, but I'm wondering if printings vary individually in quality--or
          > whether there was a year where it was changed for all following
          > editions. And is the same true on other titles? Thanks for any
          > information on this.

        • Michael
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 12, 2008
            Thanks, Ted and Keith, for the information. I should have
            recognized the war issue on the different Dodd, Mead printings. I
            think I like the earlier drawings better than Don's later alternates.