Fires

  • Tom Markle
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12, 2008
      The Blandingmobile is forced to be on the move. I have fires within 2
      miles of my home and THE collection could be at risk. I packed up all
      my Blanding papers and as much as I could take with me along with all
      the other house stuff we took. I left all Blanding ceramics, books and
      stuff I thought I could replace if needed. The Blandingmobile is
      currently in Oregon, escaping the smoke and fires. As of today it looks
      like the firefighters are getting a handle on it. I hope so. Just
      thought y'all should know...tj
    • Karen Cotter
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2008
        Hi tj - I've thought about you A LOT as I am well aware of what's going on
        up there and watching the Chico/Paradise fire all the time on InciWeb...a
        website where you can see all CA fires and a minute by minute update. If
        you are interested in the exact website I will send it to you. And, of
        course, we have had daily/nightly videos on TV in the L.A. area ever since
        the fires started both there an on the coast. The Ventana is my old
        stomping ground as is the Big Sur since I was born and I have friends and
        relatives scattered all over there. It makes me ill as I hear place after
        place I've known my whole life is ashes.

        As you know, I have my second home (and my most expensive) west of Frazier
        Park and we have had 5 devastating fires in the last 4 years. I have had to
        evacuate twice and drag all my antique Native American stuff out and down
        to this home in the San Fernando Valley, china, baskets, Athapascan items
        and many other antiques that I have collected and many handed down from the
        last 4 generations in CA to me. I have a lot of paper ephemera as well so
        you know I know exactly what you are going through. In 2 days I made 5
        round trips - 80 miles one way - from Kern County to the San Fernando
        Valley. I was so worn out I've not taken back most of it and it is in
        storage here.

        They have never mentioned Magalia and I thought of e-mailing you often over
        the last few weeks. The other towns are so close to you and it looked like
        the fire was heading your way.

        I hesitated to do so as I thought if you were in the stew I was during our
        last fire east of Santa Barbara and north of Ojai and to the peak of Mt.
        Pinos on the Ventura/Kern/L.A. County line which is the mountain upon which
        my home sits you would be in no mood to answer e-mails.

        The top of Mt. Pinos, in the Chumash Wilderness in Ventura County, at 8,300
        feet is the highest point south of the Sierras and still sacred to the
        Chumash indians. The State/County had to sit down with the elders....the
        fire raging up the side of the mountain to our community (and I think
        rightly) get their permission to bulldoze a big firebreak just below the
        peak on the south east and south west sides....had they not agreed, hundreds
        of home would have been turned to ash.

        Seeing the huge billows of smoke advancing, ash falling everywhere and at
        night an eerie red glow...one doesn't forget that soon! That acrid scent of
        burning chapparel.....so sad.

        Thank God for the Blandingmobile!

        It makes me ill thinking of losing any Blanding material but you can only
        save the best and yourselves, your pets and so on. Know that my prayers are
        with you and take good care of yourselves and your critters (I assume you
        have some) who cannot be replaced.

        With much love and concern, Karen Cotter

        > The Blandingmobile is forced to be on the move. I have fires within 2
        > miles of my home and THE collection could be at risk. I packed up all
        > my Blanding papers and as much as I could take with me along with all
        > the other house stuff we took. I left all Blanding ceramics, books and
        > stuff I thought I could replace if needed. The Blandingmobile is
        > currently in Oregon, escaping the smoke and fires. As of today it looks
        > like the firefighters are getting a handle on it. I hope so. Just
        > thought y'all should know...tj

      • Tom Harrington
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12, 2008
          TJ -

          I know how you feel. We live up here near Redding and my husband has been working on the fires in the Igo/Ono area. I too am tired of the oppressive heat and the smoke. You hesitate to open your windows early in the morning to let in whatever breeze you can, as you know your house will only fill up with smoke. It is sad, but nature has a way with taking care of itself.

          Gayle

        • mauibandb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12, 2008
            Our prayers and thoughts are with you TJ and Janice
            And everyone else affected.
            aloha
            Tom and Janice Fairbanks
            Maui

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 13, 2008
              Tom, Karen, Gayle and other Californians,

              We're thinking of you out here in Colorado. We just got back from a 10-day road trip to
              the East coast...and I wasn't even aware how bad the California fires were.

              Here's hoping that the brave firefighters get the fires under control and that your homes
              and possessions are kept safe and sound...but mainly that YOU folks are safe.

              Keith

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 13, 2008
                It appears that they might have a handle on the Paradise fire at this time. They said that 2 weeks ago also and then it flared up again. At last count we had nearly 130 homes burned and one death. I had several friends who lost their homes but I appear to be safe right now. The smoke is choking everyone though. I'm glad I have the Blandingmobile even with the gas prices. We had 3000 firefighters and some National Guardsmen on the front lines. They earn every penny of whatever they are paid. Thanks for the kind words and thoughts. Hopefully, this week will find the fires being douced...mahalo....tj

                keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote: Tom, Karen, Gayle and other Californians,

                We're thinking of you out here in Colorado. We just got back from a 10-day road trip to
                the East coast...and I wasn't even aware how bad the California fires were.

                Here's hoping that the brave firefighters get the fires under control and that your homes
                and possessions are kept safe and sound...but mainly that YOU folks are safe.

                Keith

                --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Markle" <tjmarkle@...> wrote:

                > The Blandingmobile is forced to be on the move. I have fires within 2
                > miles of my home and THE collection could be at risk. I packed up all
                > my Blanding papers and as much as I could take with me along with all
                > the other house stuff we took. I left all Blanding ceramics, books and
                > stuff I thought I could replace if needed. The Blandingmobile is
                > currently in Oregon, escaping the smoke and fires. As of today it looks
                > like the firefighters are getting a handle on it. I hope so. Just
                > thought y'all should know...tj

              • Jake Williams
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 14, 2008
                  Tom,

                  Sorry to hear you had to run away from the fire. I hope you home is safe
                  and your blanding collection remains fully intact.

                  Jake