Relationship of Lorraine Terhune Stevens with Blanding

  • Bob M
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 3, 2008
      Hello to the members.

      I am new to the work of Don Blanding, but certainly his poetry is extremely good.  That is obvious on first sight.

      I look forward to learning from being in this Group.

      I wanted to ask if anyone had any information on the relationship Don Blanding had with Lorraine Terhune Stevens.  Is there somewhere that covers this.  Lorraine was the only daughter of writer of Sunnybank collies Albert Payson Terhune.  She lived in New York City and was more or less in the bohemian community, and knew Blanding.  She was a writer for movie magazines, and probably this is how she came in contact with Blanding.  I know nothing more than this.

      And would anyone care to comment on where to start with Don Blanding for a new comer to him, which book to start with, etc.  And source for his books.  And is there anywhere on the Internet that is good for him, that someone can recommend?

      Thank you,

      BobM
      goldfest@...

    • Curt Blanding
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 4, 2008
        Hello Bob and welcome to the group!

        First of all I recommend that you check out Keith Emmons' website at
        http://www.don-blanding.com
        He has a TON of info.

        I just did a quick look there for your Lorraine Stevens and found
        this reference

        Stevens, Lorraine T. - Friend and short story writer.
        Various dedications as The Rowdy Duchess and L.T.S.

        Keith will probably have some more information about her.

        Regarding acquiring Don Blanding stuff - ebay is a very good source
        for books and ceramic pieces. A simple search for "Blanding" will
        find a lot of stuff - mostly related to DB.

        I also have a bunch of DB stuff on my website
        http://www.pglg.com/blanding/don_blanding/index.html

        and Cadia has put a lot of stuff in the yahoogroups site.

        Again, welcome,
        Curt

      • helen vT
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 4, 2008
          Please change my email address to: manae2008@...
          Old address was manae@...
          Aloha, Helen von Tempsky
          On Jul 3, 2008, at 9:38 PM, Curt Blanding wrote:

          > Hello Bob and welcome to the group!
          >
          > First of all I recommend that you check out Keith Emmons' website at
          > http://www.don-blanding.com
          > He has a TON of info.
          >
          > I just did a quick look there for your Lorraine Stevens and found
          > this reference
          >
          > Stevens, Lorraine T. - Friend and short story writer.
          > Various dedications as The Rowdy Duchess and L.T.S.
          >
          > Keith will probably have some more information about her.
          >
          > Regarding acquiring Don Blanding stuff - ebay is a very good source
          > for books and ceramic pieces. A simple search for "Blanding" will
          > find a lot of stuff - mostly related to DB.
          >
          > I also have a bunch of DB stuff on my website
          > http://www.pglg.com/blanding/don_blanding/index.html
          >
          > and Cadia has put a lot of stuff in the yahoogroups site.
          >
          > Again, welcome,
          > Curt

        • heidiwrigh
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 5, 2008
            Hello and greetings. Powells Bookstore in Portland has a lot of his
            work in stock and they have a website that you can order off of.

            http://www.powells.com/

            My favorite book is the one that I believe made him famous, Vagabonds
            House but any of them are great. I have never read one I have not
            liked.

            Good luck with your search.

            Heidi

            --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, Bob M <goldfest@...> wrote:

            > Hello to the members.
            >
            > I am new to the work of Don Blanding, but certainly his poetry is
            extremely good.  That is obvious on first sight.

            > I look forward to learning from being in this Group.
            >
            > I wanted to ask if anyone had any information on the relationship
            Don Blanding had with Lorraine Terhune Stevens.  Is there somewhere
            that covers this.  Lorraine was the only daughter of writer of
            Sunnybank collies Albert Payson Terhune.  She lived in New York City
            and was more or less in the bohemian community, and knew Blanding.
            She was a writer for movie magazines, and probably this is how she
            came in contact with Blanding.  I know nothing more than this.

            > And would anyone care to comment on where to start with Don
            Blanding for a new comer to him, which book to start with, etc.  And
            source for his books.  And is there anywhere on the Internet that is
            good for him, that someone can recommend?

            > Thank you,
            >
            > BobM
            > goldfest@...

          • Bob M
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 5, 2008
              Thanks Heidi for the advice on a book to start on Blanding.  I did go to Powells and they had one hardcover with dustcover of Vagabonds House,  for $7.50 plus $3.98 s&h.   I figured I better grab it.  So now when it gets here I will have one Don Blanding book.  : )

              Bob M

              Hello and greetings. Powells Bookstore in Portland has a lot of his
              work in stock and they have a website that you can order off of.

              http://www.powells com/

              My favorite book is the one that I believe made him famous, Vagabonds
              House but any of them are great. I have never read one I have not
              liked.

              Good luck with your search.

              Heidi

              --- In aloha-donblanding@ yahoogroups. com, Bob M <goldfest@.. .> wrote:

              > Hello to the members.
              >
              > I am new to the work of Don Blanding, but certainly his poetry is
              extremely good.  That is obvious on first sight.

              > I look forward to learning from being in this Group.
              >
              > I wanted to ask if anyone had any information on the relationship
              Don Blanding had with Lorraine Terhune Stevens.  Is there somewhere
              that covers this.  Lorraine was the only daughter of writer of
              Sunnybank collies Albert Payson Terhune.  She lived in New York City
              and was more or less in the bohemian community, and knew Blanding.
              She was a writer for movie magazines, and probably this is how she
              came in contact with Blanding.  I know nothing more than this.

              > And would anyone care to comment on where to start with Don
              Blanding for a new comer to him, which book to start with, etc.  And
              source for his books.  And is there anywhere on the Internet that is
              good for him, that someone can recommend?

              > Thank you,
              >
              > BobM
              > goldfest@...

            • Heidi Wright
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 5, 2008
                Bob thats great. my two favorites from the book is the piece that he starts the book with Vagabonds House and then one later in the book called Baby Street.
                Powells is great, I have found many of his books there. I also enjoy the book Joy is an Inside Job.
                But on the other hand I have yet to find a book of his I do not like, I enjoy his writting style.
                Enjoy!!
                Heidi

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 13, 2008
                  Greetings Bob,

                  I apologize for not answering sooner...I have been out of town with my wife and
                  family...and was extremely busy before that.

                  I have some knowledge on Lorraine Stevens that I have collected over the years, and I
                  would be happy to share it with you.

                  I believe Lorraine met Don around 1930 through a mutual friend named Nell Martin, an
                  author herself. The three writers participated in a New York writing group which
                  sponsored "White Elephant" fund raisers for local struggling authors.

                  Nell Martin was such good friends with Lorraine, that she (Nell) dedicated one of her
                  books to Lorraine. Nell was romantically involved with Dashiell Hammett at the time and
                  the two lovers also dedicated books to each other.

                  Lorraine was married for a short time, but the union didn't last. It appears that Lorraine
                  lived by herself in a few small apartments for the rest of her life. Early on she wrote some
                  short stories for women's magazines, but only up to the mid-forties, and then she seems
                  to have given up writing altogether, probably living on an inheritance from her late,
                  famous father.

                  Not much more is known about her. She didn't have a good relationship with her father
                  and stepmother...and seems to have been a very private person who loved cats.

                  I'd be happy to send you copies of my notes if you privately send me your mailing
                  address, Bob.

                  Keith

                  --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, Bob M <goldfest@...> wrote:

                  > Hello to the members.
                  >
                  > I am new to the work of Don Blanding, but certainly his poetry is extremely good.  That
                  is obvious on first sight.

                  > I look forward to learning from being in this Group.
                  >
                  > I wanted to ask if anyone had any information on the relationship Don Blanding had with
                  Lorraine Terhune Stevens.  Is there somewhere that covers this.  Lorraine was the only
                  daughter of writer of Sunnybank collies Albert Payson Terhune.  She lived in New York City
                  and was more or less in the bohemian community, and knew Blanding.  She was a writer
                  for movie magazines, and probably this is how she came in contact with Blanding.  I know
                  nothing more than this.

                  > And would anyone care to comment on where to start with Don Blanding for a new
                  comer to him, which book to start with, etc.  And source for his books.  And is there
                  anywhere on the Internet that is good for him, that someone can recommend?

                  > Thank you,
                  >
                  > BobM
                  > goldfest@...

                • Bob M
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 14, 2008
                    Hello Group,

                    Does anyone know if Don Blanding gave any advice for others that might want to try their hand a writing poetry?  Anyone that likes the writing of Blanding

                  • Bob M
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 14, 2008
                      Whoops I think the email went out before I had it ready to go, Sorry, here goes again.

                      Hello Group,

                      Don Blanding makes poetry seem so easy I wanted to try it myself.  Does anyone know if Don described anywhere how he goes about it, making it seem to just flow?  The few times I have tried it is anything but ease.  Anyone out there that learned how to write poetry themselves mind sharing how they went about it?  And how does one know if he has written anything good enough for publication, or not?  Any tips appreciated.

                      My best,

                      BobM

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 14, 2008
                        To my knowledge Don never wrote anything instructional. He was a hands on teacher who did some Adult School teaching in L.A. Much of what he taught was art not poetry. I own some of his night school teaching efforts with students and there is no critque attached to any of the art pieces
                        I own. Don's poetry was a natural talent he possessed and he enhanced it by reading many of the classics and literature of any kind. He seemed to blend into most or any culture and appreciated all that he saw. He thought and felt that everyone had a story to tell or for him to listen to. He learned from those around him regardless of status. For my Carmel show in Sept. 2000, I wrote the following poem:

                        ODE TO DON BLANDING

                        Where he was suppose to be
                        He just left
                        Where he was going
                        Was a mystery
                        and
                        Where you thought he was,
                        He wasn't
                        And when he showed up
                        He was welcome....

                        Tom Markle, Sept 1, 2000

                        Just follow your heart with poetry. Let it flow and don't think about it. If you think, you blink, if you blink, it gets momentarily dark and you loose the thought.....let it flow without criticism or worry about what others think. That is the art of poetry. Don would have a thought and write it down on a napkin, a piece of paper or whatever was handy. That was his natural way. tj

                        > Whoops I think the email went out before I had it ready to
                        > go, Sorry, here goes again.
                        >
                        > Hello Group,
                        >
                        > Don Blanding makes poetry seem so easy I wanted to try it
                        > myself.  Does anyone know if Don described anywhere how he
                        > goes about it, making it seem to just flow?  The few times
                        > I have tried it is anything but ease.  Anyone out there
                        > that learned how to write poetry themselves mind sharing how
                        > they went about it?  And how does one know if he has
                        > written anything good enough for publication, or not?  Any
                        > tips appreciated.
                        >
                        > My best,
                        >
                        > BobM
                        >
                        > --- On Sun, 9/14/08, Bob M <goldfest@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > From: Bob M <goldfest@...>
                        > Subject: [aloha-donblanding] Writing Poetry and Verse
                        > To: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
                        > Date: Sunday, September 14, 2008, 5:43 PM
                        >

                        > Hello Group,
                        >
                        > Does anyone know if Don Blanding gave any advice for others
                        > that might want to try their hand a writing poetry?  Anyone
                        > that likes the writing of Blanding

                      • Jackie Collins
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 15, 2008
                          That's a great ode, Tom.

                          ...Just a little reminder to correct your typo the next
                          time you repeat your poem....

                          Where he was supposed to be

                          Tom Markle, Sept 1, 2000

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 15, 2008
                            Yup, left of the "d" on supposed. It's correct on my original though. Thanks for the English lesson...ha...tj

                            > ...Just a little reminder to correct your typo the next
                            > time you repeat your poem....
                            >
                            > Where he was supposed to be

                          • Bob M
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 15, 2008
                              Tom,

                              Thank you for those tips and advice on writing poetry.  And thank you for the "Ode to Don Blanding".   Very good.

                              Do you have a web site with your poems?  Or writings?

                              That is interesting about Blanding teaching adults, but not poetry.  Do you know what he taught other than art if anything?

                              I have just recently gotten into Don Blanding, and yes I think he was a natural poet and it just flowed from his poetic outlook on life.  What I have seen of his poetry is beautiful and in rhyme.

                              Thanks again for your response.  What about your shows?  My apologies for not knowing about your work.

                              BobM

                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 15, 2008
                                I have no website, sorry. I would suggest you go through Cadia's website and read all of the posting from 2000 on. It will give you an education on Don and his life. Don did some High School teaching and I believe he taught Greek Mythology, one of his passions. You will see Greek mythology interwoven through out his books in poetry and art. I own an unpublished book by a soldier he mentored in WW2. The book is of poetry and art much like Don would have published. In his own way Don would accept others into his teachings and mentor them. Formally, I don't think he relished structured teaching for a living. He just did it when his time was right. He was a patriot and mentoring a soldier was right up his alley. It is an interesting story and a pretty well written book by a soldier literally hiding in the jungles of the Philippines and surviving until the liberation. The fact that he wrote this book in the midst of war is really amazing. This
                                soldier later became a teacher and used some of Don's books to teach with. I met this soldier at the 2000 show but he died two years after. His wife sent me his unpublished book and copied of letters from Don. Here's to good writing....tj