Honolulu Star-Bulletin May 21 - July 31, 1920

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2008
      Hello, all...

      I've almost finished reading the measly 2 reels of 1920 Star-
      Bulletin microfilm that arrived last week. I thought, in fact,
      that I would finish this afternoon, since the box of the second reel
      was supposed to be only through July 10.

      But surprise! It appears to include film through the end of July.

      Very little in this batch, which was not unexpected since I knew DB
      was still in the Rockford, Illinois, area as late as February 1920.

      But, again, surprise! DB arrived back in Honolulu aboard the Matson
      steamer Manoa on June 29, 1920:

      "Donald Blanding, who was cartoonist for the Advertiser in 1916
      [sic], came back to the islands to paint island scenery and do
      illustrations for mainland magazines."

      The first two days out of San Francisco, the Manoa ran into a
      northwest gale that "laid all but the best sailors low in their
      bunks with mal de mer." No wonder DB did not have such fond
      memories of steamer travel!

      The fleet was visiting Honolulu during early July so the July 4th
      holiday weekend must have been especially festive.

      By coincidence, Grace Tower Warren, her husband John and their two
      young daughters Katherine and Marion left on June 30 for a five-
      month mainland trip. According to the Society pages, Mr. and Mrs.
      H. P. Agee (Fanny Heaslip Lea) were in residence.

      Bev, I received the packet of photocopies when I picked up my mail
      today. Thank you for all the work I know it took to get readable
      copies of those 1954 DB columns. The 1946 article reprinted from the
      Hollywood Citzen-News contains wonderful details about how DB went
      about his work as an artist and writer. And, at last, the December
      1, 1956, column I've been missing for so long -- loved the comments
      on NYC traffic and the so-called Hawaiian Salad! Time to rev up my
      typing fingers ...

      I'm preparing a packet of Armine items for you; glad I waited a bit
      because I found an item today on the 1920 microfilm. She and her
      father were returning from a trip to Australia and New Zealand.

      More soon ...