[aloha-donblanding] New Member

  • Gilan Menegat
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 22, 2000
      Thank you for the welcome remarks. I only recently learned of your
      "group". I was searching for anything on Don Blanding over the weekend and
      ran across Cadia's web site. I must say, it is wonderful. I was
      introduced to photos of the Vernonware...what a treat! That is now my new
      pursuit. If anyone has ideas on how to obtain pieces, please let me know.

      My father has been collecting Don Blanding books since the 1950's and I
      have inherited the "bug" from him. We continue to upgrade books. I am
      still searching for a few first editions but now it's even more exciting to
      learn that there are more "things" out there to search for!

      From the emails I have been receiving there are some serious Don Blanding
      buffs out there! What brought you to collect his works...a love for the
      islands? poetry? What's the connection? Just curious...I can say that
      very few people in my wanderings even know who he is!

      By the way, my name is pronounced with a soft "G" like in "giraffe"...not
      that it matters in terms of email, but I'd like to know people were
      actually referencing me! : )

      I look forward to hearing from you! Good luck in the search.

      Gilan

      __________________
      Gilan M. Menegat
      Asst. of Administrator of Curriculum
      North Clackamas School District #12
      4444 SE Lake Road
      Milwaukie, OR 97222
      PH: 503.653.3828
      FAX: 503.513.4038
    • Sunny L Worel
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 22, 2000
        The only thing I found written about Don Blanding (and others) was the
        following. U of Minnesota has this journal, so I would have access to
        this if anybody might think it of use. Anybody know Desoto Brown?

        Author: Brown, DeSoto.
        Title: Beautiful, romantic Hawaii : how the fantasy image came to be.
        Physical Details: 26 ill. (22 col.)
        In: Journal of decorative and propaganda arts 1994, no. 20, p. 252-271,
        ISSN 0888-7314.

        Sunny Worel sunny@...
        Bio-Medical Library http://umn.edu/home/sunny
        University of Minnesota (612) 626-4583
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 22, 2000
          Sunny,

          DeSoto Brown's name has been on a card in my wallet for years. I
          finally removed it this month when I changed purses to go to Texas.
          Since I'm at work right now, I'm not sure if the article you cite is
          the one on my card, but I do know I could not get a copy.

          So can you get a good, clear, sharp copy of the article and send it to
          me? My mailing address is on my website. If you can get a clear,
          readable scan, that would be OK, too.

          Note to Keith: the DB illustration in Asia, July 1930, is the facing
          page to the article...that's why it's termed "frontispiece."

          I also have a photocopy of the other article from Asia. If anyone
          would like a photocopy, I think it will come out pretty good. I went
          through heck and a major rainstorm to get a copy made from a library
          bound volume, some years ago. The Seattle library's copiers are
          terrible, so I talked a history department clerk into letting me remove
          the volume from the premises. Believe me, if I'd needed ID in the
          meantime....

          I also have notes from searching years of Reader's Guide to Periodical
          Literature, the NY Times Index and similar indices. I may have pulled
          copies of the items, but likely have only citations for most. I'll add
          info to the database later this week.

          In my files, I found a great article on DB from "Let's Live." Does
          anyone have copies of this publication, say about 1949 or 1950?
          Apparently, the October 1949 issue has a cover photo of DB's artwork.

          Off the the library!

          ~~Cadia
        • Sunny L Worel
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 22, 2000
            I will head over to Wilson Library within the next week and see what the
            situation is. I just got back from Europe and feel kind of bogged down.

            Sunny

          • MauiBandB@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 22, 2000
              I know desoto He is in charge the archives at the Bishop Museum. He also has
              access to the Blanding Island Travelogs,

              aloha
              Tom Fairbanks
            • Keith Emmons
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 22, 2000
                Tom's right... DeSoto Brown (1954- ) is an archivist at the Bishop
                Museum. He has written several books, including a book about antique
                Hawaiian milk covers, a book on Pearl Harbor, a picture book on Waikiki
                Beach, and most interesting, a book entitled: Hawaii Recalls: nostalgic
                images of the Hawaiian Islands, 1910-1950, which could possibly have
                references to our man Blanding.

                DeSoto Brown
                Bishop Museum Archives
                P.O. Box 19000-A
                Honolulu, HI 96817-0916
                (808) 847-3511
                (808) 848-4182 fax

                ...Keith
              • Keith Emmons
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 22, 2000
                  DeSoto Brown's book Hawaii Recalls is on ebay: Item #267013637
                  Or can be obtained on Barnes & Noble for $12.49... I just ordered my
                  copy for the flight next week... 24 hours (ugh!)
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 22, 2000
                    Mandarin has the Desoto Brown book. She recently purchased it and said it was
                    really a beautiful work. Mandarin (Jean) has recently joined our group and
                    browse around....Jean, are your there???
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 22, 2000
                      Jean visited the Bishop Museum over Christmas and spoke to Desoto Brown and
                      copied all that she could while there. You need to bring her into this
                      discussion...
                    • Sunny L Worel
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 22, 2000
                        Hello,

                        I have been posting a lot the last few days and thought I might say a few
                        words about why I joined your list.

                        Well, the short of it is that I picked up a copy of Vagabond's House six
                        months ago and LOVED it. I was curious to see that other people were
                        interested in it. I had never met anybody who had heard of it!

                        The long of it is an odd story.

                        I had a great aunt who was murdered in 1931 by Winnie Ruth Judd. It is a
                        very famous case especially since there was no real motive and the
                        extraordinary way the body was disposed of.

                        Anyway, the family knew nothing of her except for this grisly fact. I
                        started looked at the fabulous pictures of her travels, her teaching life
                        in Alaska, etc. I wanted to know more about who she was.

                        Newspapers reported excerpts from her diary. I looked for the diary
                        without success. Anyway, on September 28 of 1931, apparently, she wrote
                        in her diary:

                        love me love, but love me lightly
                        Weave no silken gauze to tie me.
                        I acknowledge most contritely
                        Vows are bonds that irk and try me.

                        If you find a strand endfolds me
                        Flick a careless finger through it
                        Break the gossamer that holds me.
                        But, be sure I see you do it.

                        One newspaper had one of her letters reprinted that said, "Yes, you sent
                        me Vagabond's House and I love it."

                        So, I picked it up. It hadn't been checked out here at Minnesota in at
                        least 20 years!

                        She travelled about alot. Her brother even went down to the Keys and was
                        on Hemingway's boat for a year. He wrote articles for a newspaper called,
                        the wandering boy series. Many of Blandings poems seem to capture the
                        Vagabond spirit the both of them must have had. At least I currently
                        believe so!

                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 22, 2000
                          Nostalgic images of Hawaii by Desoto does reference Don Blanding but only a
                          page or so as I remember, nothing enlightening to this group. Just his
                          contribution to creating the mystique, romance, and lure of the Hawaiian
                          Islands.
                        • Beverly Leinbach
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 23, 2000
                            Cadia,
                            Would love copies of the Asia articles......could stop looking for them
                            then.
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 11, 2002
                              Sherrie Johnson curator of the Florida show would like to join up with us and
                              we welcome her.
                            • duchess017
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 12, 2002
                                TJ,

                                That would be great! I don't see her name on the members list yet,
                                but if I may have the e-mail address Sherrie plans to use, I can
                                dispatch an invitation. Or she can join via my website or the
                                group's main page:

                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 13, 2002
                                  Cadia: I forwarded your email to Sherrie and I'll follow up with her
                                  also....tj
                                • Lora
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 8, 2009
                                    Hello to all....I'm a new member...thanks to the owner for approval. I found your group thru a Google search. I was and am looking for more family information on Louis P. Hudson who was married to Sarah Kimble whose sister Ida was Don Blandings mother. I see from the posted messages that some have found the family in Minnesota, and the Dakota Territory in the 1880 census and then Sarah with the children in Kansas in 1900....where was Louis at that time? I also saw a message that said there was a photo of Sarah in the Lawton Museum and I have sent them an email asking for a copy. Another cousin has a photo of Louis that he promised to send. Any additional genealogical information anyone may have is greatly appreciated....thank you....Lora Hudson Treadwell...(Louis Hudson is my 1st cousin twice removed)

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 9, 2009
                                      Hello, Lora, and welcome to the group. I gather that your Grandfather Hudson (name?) is a 1st cousin to Louis Pope Hudson? Pope is a family surname, possibly his mother or grandmother's maiden name. Oddly enough, Louis and Sarah's younger daughter Helen married into the Pope family. I found them on the 1920 census in Tennessee -- and Sarah is living with the family!

                                      As promised in a private e-mail, I have added more information to the Files about the family of Louis Pope Hudson and Sarah Kimble.

                                      I think you've already seen the entry for Sarah Kimble in the Blanding genealogy file. I have added more about her children and grandchildren at

                                      Files > Blanding Genealogy > Kimble > Biographical Notes > Related Kimble Family Lines

                                      You may wish to look at the actual 1900 census entry for Sarah and her 3 younger children, who were "roomers" in Wichita, KS. I believe it says she was widowed at that time, but I can't be certain. The "married 31 years" might indicate that Louis P. died only shortly before the census was taken. (They were married in 1869.) Or it might indicate that Louis P. was still alive and living or traveling elsewhere. I have not located him or elder son Charles S. on the 1900 census.

                                      Charles S. was married in 1902 (where?) and his and Gertrude's first son, Donald M., was born in Oklahoma in 1905. The family relocated to Bend, Oregon about 1906. They were prominent in the community and remained in Bend for about 25 years before removing to California.

                                      Daughter Dorotha was born in Bend in 1909 (d. 1910, buried in Pilot Butte Cemetery); daughter Doris was born there in 1913. A possible fourth child, D. E. Hudson, is buried (1917) in Pilot Butte Cemetery, age under 1 year.

                                      Given the "D" names of the other 3 children, and the fact that there were no other Hudsons in Bend at that time, I believe this infant to be a sibling. So far, in reading microfilm of the Bend Bulletin, I have not come across references to the births or deaths of any of these children. Were it not for finding Dorotha at findagrave.com, including a photo of her headstone, I would not have known where to start researching the Hudsons! (I sponsor Dorotha's listing at findagrave.com. Her maternal grandmother, Ella Gates Bell, is also listed.)

                                      Hope these details will give you some new leads to follow. It would be great if you can obtain some photos to share!

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 1, 2009
                                        Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:36 pm
                                        From: John Hudson Hertzog, jaxico99

                                        Hi Lora, received your letter, and my Grandmother Helen Pope
                                        (Hudson) was Don's first cousin. My Grandmaw (Momoo) was born in Garden City, Kansas in 1888, and was one of Sarah's children in Wichita in 1900. I remember "Momoo" had a picture of "Mammy" on her dresser; it was the same one as in Lawton. I don't know how
                                        you are related to Don, through Pope or Hudson. Mammy was born in 1849 and died in 1933. I think she lived with "Momoo and "Pope" Loren Pope, my Grandfather in Louisiana, where "Pope" owned a lumber mill in Hammond, La.

                                        I don't have that picture, but my aunt Barbara ( Bobbins) might have it, you can call her and ask her, she's given permission [phone number deleted].
                                        ----------

                                        Hello, Jack, and welcome back to the group! With the help of some correspondence we exchanged back in 2003, I was able to put Lora in touch with you. You are both Hudsons, through different lines which I'll try to explain in a moment.

                                        First, however, I want to caution everyone in the group that this message board is PUBLIC -- that is, anyone on the internet has access to the content. (The rest of the group website is private and available only to members.) So that's why I have deleted your initial response and am copying it here, sans your aunt's phone number.

                                        As Lora [Hudson Treadwell] mentioned in her first message, your great-grandfather, Louis Pope Hudson, is her 1st cousin twice removed.

                                        In the past couple of weeks, Lora and I have exchanged considerable e-mail with information and tips on how to find more. She obtained an e-mailed photo of DB from the museum in Lawton, which supposedly is of DB and Aunt Sarah in Bend, OR, in 1912. The photo, however, was taken in 1930 or later, as evidenced by the copy of Hula Moons on the table before Don! I challenged the identity of the woman in the photo, who certainly does not look 80-something or 45 years older than a very mature-looking DB. However, if the photo is, indeed, of DB and Sarah ... hooray!

                                        With Lora's help and by pure chance, I discovered that Aunt Sarah died on October 15, 1933, in Hammond, LA, which you have confirmed. She is not listed on the 1930 census, however, with your grandparents and their children.

                                        Although Louis Pope Hudson is of interest mainly because he was the husband of Sarah Kimble [Ida Blanding's older sister and DB's much beloved aunt], it has been great to learn a bit more about his heritage. Lora has tracked her Hudsons back to Polydore Hudson and his first wife, Harriet Morehouse. Polydore grew apples in Saratoga County, NY, until about 1832 when crops failed and he removed to Calhoun County, Michigan, near Battle Creek. The county seat is Marshall, where coincidentally James L. Kimble and his wife Maria Benson [Sarah and Ida' parents] settled after their marriage in 1836. James, from PA, had been in the area about 1832 during the Black Hawk war. It is quite possible that Polydore and James knew each other!

                                        It is not clear when Harriet died, but Polydore is listed on the 1860 census with his 2nd wife Barbara [unknown] and died in either 1866 or 1868.

                                        Polydore and Harriet Hudson had 9 children, 6 sons and 3 daughters. Lora and I have identified 4 sons, several of whom were prominent in Michigan or Minnesota politics. They are Aaron Guy, Bradley Polydore, Hiram B. and James S.

                                        Aaron Guy Hudson and Hannah Sutherland were the parents of Louis Pope Hudson, and therefore your great-grandparents. Lora is descended from Aaron's brother, James S., who was her great-great-grandfather. Aaron and Hannah settled in Minnesota; he helped write the state constitution in 1857-58.

                                        Please note the name Sutherland. At long last we have discovered the middle name of Charles S. Hudson, son of Louis Pope Hudson. Charles S. was your grandmother Helen's elder brother. He was the cousin for whom DB worked in 1912-1913 at the bank in Bend, OR. Charles S. died in 1953 in the San Diego, CA, area; shortly before Lora joined the group I found his full name on the California death index, on which his mother Sarah's maiden name is misspelled Kimball.

                                        Doris, second daughter of Charles S., may still be alive at 95 in California. Lora is hoping to contact her.

                                        So, Jack, it looks like you and Lora are at least "kissin' cousins"!
                                        And be sure to take a look at the photo Lora has provided of Louis P. Your great-grandfather Hudson is in the Files in the Blanding Genealogy section under Kimble.

                                        Of Louis P. and Sarah's 4 children, we have a pretty good handle on Charles and Helen. Now does anyone know anything about daughter Ada and son Louis? They are listed on the 1900 census in Wichita, KS, with their mother. Ada was 29 and a stenographer at the time; Louis was about 18. After that, nothing.

                                        We are also trying to find out when and where Louis P. died. Lora has tracked him possibly to MO and OK about 1910-1913. All we know for sure is that Sarah was a widow by 1920, when she was living in Shelby County, TN, with Helen and Loren Pope. By 1923, the family removed to Hammond, LA, where younger daughters Barbara and Helen were born.

                                        The research goes on ... thanks to all for their help.

                                        ~~Cadia
                                      • JHH
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 1, 2009
                                          Hi , Ada was Who all of us Popes Called "Aunty", she was born in 1867 and passed in the late fifties? at about 90, she married Joseph Burbank, never had any children, Joe and Aunty lived in Jacksonville, Ill., and later she Lived with Helen "Mamoo" in Saint Louis, we visited Aunty and Uncle Joe in Jacksonville when I was a kid (12 or 13), uncle Joe was driving a model "T", this was in 1955, Mom was afraid to ride with him, as he was about 90, and couldn't see very well.

                                          I remember playing in their attic, it was like going back to 1900, there were many antiques and relics in there.

                                                                                                                                                                       Thanx Cadia

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 1, 2009
                                            Hi, Jack ...

                                            Thanks for adding your remembrance of your Aunt Ada and Uncle Joe. Do you know what year they married?

                                            In the past year or so I've added quite a bit of genealogical information to the Files. Based on the 1900 census, and the fact that Louis P. and Sarah were married in 1869, Ada was born in April 1871, not in 1867. Here's what I have:

                                            1900 Census: Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas
                                            Series: T623 Roll: 499 Page: 66
                                            Enumeration: June 1
                                            Page 66, A & B

                                            Household: 423 North Walnut Street

                                            Smith, D. W., b. Jan. 1832, age 68, married 38 years, widowed?, b. New York, dentist

                                            Champion, A. S., daughter, b. June 1864, married 6 years, divorced?, b. Ohio

                                            Champion, P. C., grandson, b. Aug. 1891, age 8, b. Kansas or Ohio, parents b. Ohio

                                            Hudson, Sarah, roomer, b. July 1849, age 51, married 31 years, 4 children, all living; b. WI, father b. PA, mother b. WI, dressmaker

                                            Hudson, Ada, roomer [daughter], b. April 1871, age 29, married, b. MN, father b. MI, mother b. WI, stenographer

                                            Hudson, Louis, roomer, [son], b. April 1882, age 18, single, b. Dakota Territory, father b. MI, mother b. WI, news agt. on RR

                                            Hudson, Helen, roomer [daughter], b. October 1888, age 11, single, b. KS, father b. MI, mother b. WI, at school
                                            **********
                                            My questions are:

                                            Where is Louis P. in 1900? Why is Ada listed as "Hudson" but married? Where is her husband? Where is her brother Charles S.?

                                            I do know that Charles (b. 2/5/1874) married Gertrude Elsie McCormick in 1902 and they were living in Tishomingo, OK, in 1905 when their son Donald M. was born. About 1906 or 1907, the family removed to Bend, OR, where they remained about 25 years. They later surfaced in Southern California, where Charles S. died on 11/9/1953.

                                            Any clues you can provide?

                                            By the way, folks, let's not confuse our Ada's here. Ada Hudson is Sarah Kimble's daughter married to Joseph Burbank; Ada Kimble Philley is Sarah's younger sister married to Issaac L. Philley; Ada Martin supposedly is Elizza A., 1878 bride of Albert Kimble, Sarah's elder brother.

                                            Then there's DB's aunt Emma Blanding, whose husband was J. Q. Burbank. Probably no connection to Joseph Burbank, but you never know with these families!

                                            Are we confused yet?

                                            ~Cadia
                                          • JHH
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009

                                              Hi Cadia, I actually lived with Ada ( Aunty) when she lived with Helen ( Mamoo) and at that time, I never even knew her name, it was always just "Aunty", just as I never called my grandfather Loren "Grandfather", we always called him 'Pope', including his own son Alan (Buddy), although his four daughters always called him 'daddy', I do, however remember that DON B. never forgot my grandmother, and every so often would write her a letter or send a postcard with a sketch or doodle on it, and she'd show me.  By the way Helen ( Mamoo) was the greatest scrabble player I'd ever seen, she had the highest score of anybody I'd ever seen , she scored "504', to my "316", and as I mentioned before, she had great literary ability, which was never used, because she was basically a housewife, and almost deaf, so we all had to shout at her, all her kids, my aunts and uncle, grew up with powerful resonating voices, including myself if I need to, although I speak with
                                              a low drawl naturally.

                                              To bad, when We are kids, we don't think to ask questions about certain things that we would like to know later. It's fun recalling a few of these things for the forum.

[...]

                                            • John Hudson Hertzog
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
                                                Hi Cadia I forgot to mention that I don't know much about Helen Hudson's siblings, never asked when I was a kid, though I met one of Pope's brothers one time, he came through Saint Louis, I think he was about 65.