PAINTING of AUNTY PINAU

    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2008
      Aloha to all,

      A friend just sent this to me from Hawaii when I asked her if she knew of
      Auntie Pinau. If you don't see the picture, go to the web site at the
      bottom.

      Bev.

      1920s HOWARD HITCHCOCK OIL PAINTING of AUNTY PINAU

      <http://www.surfnhula.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=2473>

      Very important, signed original oil by much sought after and collected
      Hawaiian artist D. Howard Hitchcock 1861 - 1943. Very unusual portrait of
      'Aunty Pinau'. Kalaukalani, (Aunty) Pinau (died 1935) was a local Hawaiian
      personality around the turn of the century, friend to many of the local
      artists, entertainers and writers, she is referred to and written about in
      early publications by Don Blanding, among others. Image size 12 x 16; 19 1/2
      x 23 1/2 vintage frame titled: 'Auntie Pinau' on reverse. A very rare
      offering at a much lower than usual price. Nearly 100 years old but still
      excellent condition!
      We will include the childs book Aunty Pinau's Banyan Tree just for fun.

      Retail price: $

      $0.00

      Buy It! <http://www.surfnhula.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?catalogid=2473>

      <http://www.surfnhula.com/Vintage_Surfboards_Hawaiiana/HOWARD-HITCHCOCK-PAIN
      TING-AUNTY-PINAU.htm>
      http://www.surfnhula.com/Vintage_Surfboards_Hawaiiana/HOWARD-HITCHCOCK-PAINT
      ING-AUNTY-PINAU.htm

    • Heidi Wright
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2008
        Aloha,

        For years now I have read, almost daily all of the posting to this group. My mom died when I was young but I did learn from her the love of all things Don Blanding so when I stumbled upon your group years ago I subscribed. I feel like I know most of you although we have never met. I live in Olympia Wa and this week I was in Portland Oregon and someone told me of a very large used bookstore so I went to go see if they had any Don Blanding books I did not have. This bookstore is HUGE and I was able to add 5 new books to my collection!!!! The book store is called Powells and they have a web site where you can check and see what books they have. I could not think of anyone who be excited for me about my wonderful luck today except you all. So to Bev and the whole group today I found:

             Another Original Vagabond House (I always buy them when I find them to give to friends)
            Pilots Bail Out
            Floridays
            Mostly California
             Song of the Seven Senses
        I thought of you all and knew you would understand how excieted I am. So now I am going to go crawl into bed and read about Florida or maybe Hawaii....... so some other tropical location.
        Heidi

        Message 3 of 5 , May 8, 2008
          How wonderful, Heidi

          Welcome!

          We all love his work.

          Bev.

          _____

[...]

          <mailto:HeidiWrigh%40Yahoo.com> com</font>

          Message 4 of 5 , May 8, 2008
            Bev

            Thanks for sending the picture of Aunty Pinau I had tried to research where
            she lived in Hana what her last name was with families there, years ago for
            Keith but to no avail.
            I have reinitiated the search with the new image and information provided.
            I sent it off to several who have long term families there. Hopefully we
            will be more successful this time around.

            aloha
            Maui Tom

            favorites at AOL Food.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 10, 2008
              Hello, all ...

              Thanks so much, Bev, for providing the lead on Hitchcock's painting
              of Aunty Pinau; she's just like I've always pictured her. To be
              painted by the "dean" of Hawaii's arts colony means she was truly
              special! Can anyone decipher the date?

              Tom, check the messages here from 2001 (starting about #2701);
              you'll find several related to Aunty Pinau, including her surname.
              Hope you can uncover more about her among your contacts.

              Welcome, Heidi! How lovely to find an armload of DB's books in one
              place! I thought everyone in the Northwest knew about Powells, the
              Portland equivalent of the late, lamented Shorey's in Seattle where
              I found many of my DB books nearly 30 years ago. Powells' inventory
              of used books is included on the Bookfinder.com search engine and, I
              think, on Addall.com, too.